Thread: Ear mites

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Ear mites

I'm looking for a good - but safe - ear mite medicine for the cats. It was brought to my attention when I had Leia in to be spayed, that she has them, and since Luke is digging at his ears too, then I surmise that we need to treat all the cats - the 3 kittens and the 2 senior ladies - and probably Wolfy too, just to be safe. Of course at the clinic, they recommended Frontline - but that would be rather costly to keep all 5 cats on that, and they don't go outside anyway. Some other brands I read up on, and in the form of ear drops, contain pyrethrins, and I don't want to put that on cats since it can be toxic to them, even tho they specified for dogs and cats.

I saw one called EcoEars, and it got good reviews, and I'm kind of leaning toward that one at this point. Has anyone used this, or know anyone that has? Or does anyone know of a good brand or treatment (either commercial or home remedy) that won't break the bank????

Any input will be very much appreciated.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Aww, no advice, just my sympathy for the poor kitties!
    I've Been Frosted

Well you wrote something that is new to me: a problem with the ear, and the vet suggested a topical? I've only ever had ear drops -- and antibiotics if needed, oral medicine -- for ear issues. But once I used Google, I see that the topical is one possible treatment for ear mites. Guess I've never had to deal with that particular ear issue!

Here is a link to a good discussion overall
    http://voices.yahoo.com/a-safe-effec...r-1555733.html

And this link gives detail step by step instructions
    http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Ear-Mites-in-a-Cat

I'm giving you both because the first one makes it clear you must treat all of the pets, once a day, every day for THREE WEEKS and, if you don't see improvement in 3 days, the problem is bigger than this home remedy can handle. Also, you need to clean out the ears at least once a day during this time.

Then you need to address keeping ears clean on a routine basis going forward, so there is no reinfestation.

At the moment, most likely you have ear mites in their bedding, and mite eggs as well. So all of this needs to be addressed.

It is critical to get this under control. Long term, infection will develop and this can have lasting consequences including permanent damage to the ear, development of polyps, and hearing loss.

Good luck!

Additional helpful info: -- note in particular, you should not just put the used cotton or swab in the trash - it will have live ear mites. You need to address that as well prior to disposing of the used item.

Boost Ear Mite Medication Effectiveness: Remove Debris

Product solutions and liquids can kill ear mites only when the medication reaches the ear mite. Help the products work effectively by removing the discharge and debris that ear mites hide in. Your veterinary technician may enjoy teaching you how to do this. Removal is best done using a cotton swab with a rolling lifting motion. Discard the cotton swabs as soon as they pick up some debris so the material doesn't fall off the swab and back into the ear. Plan on using at least a dozen swabs. Take care not to pack the discharge deeper into the canal.

Putting mineral oil in the ear makes it easier to remove discharge, but most pets dislike having liquids placed into their ears. Instead, pour the mineral oil onto cotton swabs to help pick up the debris. Treat the swabs with alcohol or bleach before discarding in the trash. Mites are not necessarily killed by flushing.

Should I medicate my pet for ear mites just in case?

No. Ear mite medications are rather harsh because they have a difficult job to do. Using them more often than necessary may injure the skin within your pet's ear canal. The injured canal will become inflamed and produce cerumen (earwax) so that your pet now shakes their head and has ear discharge—caused not by mites, but by the excessive ear mite treatment.

Work with your veterinarian who will advise you on how often to use ear mite medication so that you don't over use it. Then, let us help you get the medication you need.

Is one treatment enough, or can ear mites return?

Ear mites can return and you may need to treat your pet more than once. Similar to fleas, ear mites lay eggs that have an extremely tough exterior, which makes it difficult to kill ear mites in one treatment. Eggs can be removed from your pet's ears or flushed out, however, most products used to treat ear mites won't kill ear mite eggs. Ear mite medications and products will generally only kill mites that have hatched. That's why most ear mite medications and products are used once, and repeated in 7 days—to give the eggs a chance to hatch out and be vulnerable to the medication. If you wait too long between treatments, though, there will be enough time for the hatched ear mite to lay more eggs. If the second medication dose is skipped, ear mites will appear to return—in truth, they never left because the eggs were not killed.

Your pet may also be reinfected and need to be retreated if he or she comes in contact with other pets that have ear mites.

Can my pet's ear mites infect me?

Yes. However, ear mites have evolved to prefer dogs and cats rather than people. In people's ears, mites die without treatment after a few weeks, but they can be treated and removed as soon as they are diagnosed, just as they are for your pet. People who have had ear mites report that the infection nearly drove them insane because they could hear the scratching in their head, and because of the irritating sensation caused as the mites moved. People also report that they suffered from intense itching, heat, and inflammation.

How should I treat the environment?

Ear mites are spread by direct contact with another pet that has them or by bedding infected pets have been using. Wash bedding with hot soapy water and dry in a hot dryer. Clean the kennels. Treat the environment with a flea-type insecticide once, and repeat the application again in 2-4 weeks.

Do I need to treat all my pets for ear mites?

Perhaps.

Ear mites are contagious. If your veterinarian confirms that some of your pets have ear mites, it may be most efficient to treat them all—and the environment—at the same time. If, however, you have pets that do not come in contact with each other, or with each other's bedding, they have had little opportunity to share the ear mites.

When ear mite infections won't clear up

If your pet has an ear mite infection that won't clear up, confirm the diagnosis with your veterinarian. Many pets have allergies that cause intensely itching ears but do not have ear mites. Pets can also have yeast (Malassezia) or bacterial (Staphylococcus or Streptococcus) infections; polyps, foreign bodies, cancer, or traumatic injury that cause symptoms similar to those caused by ear mites.

A few pets, however, will have repeat problems with ear mites. This occurs if the immune system doesn't function well, and your veterinarian may recommend blood tests for diseases that suppress the immune system such as Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV).

Above taken from here:
    http://www.1800petmeds.com/education...eatment-14.htm

We use Revolution, once a month on all the cats. I know it's pricey, but it prevents fleas, heart worm, intestinal bugs and ear mites. All 4 of our cats have ears that look as clean as a newborns - and they range from 10 - 13.

Thanks Sandie and Gretchen.

I know there's no way to afford the Revolution for all 5 cats, so I'm going to have to go another route. I spent a couple of hours last night, reading up on all the brands and recommendations that were the same as what you posted Sandie. I don't really want to use anything with pyrethrins unless all else fails - just leery about using that on cats, since they groom each other and could ingest it in the process. Tomorrow I'm going to start them all on the ear cleaning using the oil method, until I get a commercial product. I guess I'll start with the EcoEars since that is more of a holistic product without all of the nasty chemicals. Yup - this ought to be fun - as well as being a 2-man undertaking. Just trying to wrap them in a towel to keep claws away from our hands will be quite an exercise in itself.

I don't know how and where they came up with these nasty critters, since all of the cats are indoor only. I figured Wolfy most have picked them up, but I checked his ears, and they are nice and clean and pink like they should be. Go figure...........

I''m still open to suggestions from anyone for a remedy, so please let me know of anything that could work.

Thanks a bunch !
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I did some more in depth reading on the Revolution, and found out that to rid cats of ear mites, it is a one time dose, and in stubborn cases, perhaps 2 doses could be needed. It can be used monthly if desired to prevent reinfestation, but I don't see that as necessary for indoor only cats, as long as their ears are cleaned regularly.

Now this is a doable solution.....
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I use revolution for fleas every month,and yes it kills ear mites too,been using it on my two for a few years now,so far so good,it may still work out cheaper in the long run than meds for ear mites,and all the work involved to treat them,best of luck.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Don't know if you can use this on cats but one friend of mine has a cat and I know she uses the wash for her dogs so she must use it for the cat also.
    For the dogs I've always used the Blue Wash... it was made up by a vet so after being told about it I tried it and was amazed at the results. I don't like putting anything strong on any dog so this was the perfect thing. My dog caught ear mites only once. I used the wash for about a week and it was done. Now I use it once a month just to make sure the ears are always clean and to avoid any sort of ear trouble.
    You can google Blue Ear Wash and the recipe comes up. Very simple.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

It would pay to check as I know cats metabolise meds etc quite differently to dogs,so one needs to take care about using any dog products on cats.,maybe some are deemed safe,but I would always check with my vet first.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️