Thread: Clumps of hair on back...

Clumps of hair on back...

Autumn has had a large clump of hair on her back, she now has a few more smaller clumps along the back toward her tail. She doesn't seem to be in pain and she doesn't seem to be itchy.

Anyone have any idea of what this could be. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get her to the vet, she is just about impossible to get her into the carrier. I have health problems which makes it very difficult for me. I have had to cancel many vet appointments because of this.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

She is long-haired, isn't she? Have you tried putting a bit of oil on it and softly comb it out? You have to be patient and do it over a couple of days. Let her decide when. Sit behind and lean over her, stroking her, then you may be able to do it.

Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Does she allow herself to be combed? Might they just be tufts ready to be shed?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    She is long-haired, isn't she? Have you tried putting a bit of oil on it and softly comb it out? You have to be patient and do it over a couple of days. Let her decide when. Sit behind and lean over her, stroking her, then you may be able to do it.

Good luck!
    No I wouldn't say Autumn is long haired. She will not allow me to get near with a comb or brush so that's out. If I try, she just runs. She has been like that ever since we became roommates.

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Does she allow herself to be combed? Might they just be tufts ready to be shed?
    No she doesn't Karen, I can't do anything at all to her and that's the problem.

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    No she doesn't Karen, I can't do anything at all to her and that's the problem.
    Awww, maybe try leaving the brush out where she sees it often, and try to get her used to it. Can you touch her at all? Even just to pet her?
    I've Been Frosted

You might consider having her professionally groomed if she won't tolerate you brushing her. Those mats will harbor bacteria and will eventually tighten enough to make her quite uncomfortable. :/

Matted kitties are no fun! Kyuby gets them around his backside and he gets SO ANGRY when we insist on brushing them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Awww, maybe try leaving the brush out where she sees it often, and try to get her used to it. Can you touch her at all? Even just to pet her?
    Yes Karen, she loves to be petted and loves sitting on my lap to be petted and loved. I cannot pick her up tho and I really need to get her to the vet but I can't get her in the carrier. I am going to get in touch with Animal Control to see if they can help me get her in the carrier but I think that is just wishful thinking.

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    You might consider having her professionally groomed if she won't tolerate you brushing her. Those mats will harbor bacteria and will eventually tighten enough to make her quite uncomfortable. :/

Matted kitties are no fun! Kyuby gets them around his backside and he gets SO ANGRY when we insist on brushing them out.
    As I've mentioned before, I cannot get her in the carrier, if I could I would take her to the vet.

"I've been frosted."

It is a grooming issue, not really a vet issue, though a vet could take care of it.

My Crystal is prone to this as well. The reason, with Crystal, is that she is pudgy and can't REACH the top middle of her back! Cats naturally secrete oils at each fur base. One reason they lick / groom is to spread out the oil. When they don't, these clumps develop. They are mats, and they pull at th skin so they do hurt and are quite uncomfortable for the cat. Crystal has had the area shaved twice in the past. (She is about 9 years old). After the second time, I was determined, I brush her regularly so I do not have this issue to spend money on again.

You do need to work out a plan. The area needs to be shaved out and going forward she needs regular grooming. Sounds like you have allowed her to set the rules.

Without seeing what this looks like, it could be a number of things. Are the clumps of hair just sitting on her back like shedding and she simply can't reach or are they like spots from an irritation? Another thing I thought of is my mom's cat started pulling out her fur because she was stressed, could that be what's happening? Nothing has changed in the environment lately, has it? Sorry I can't be much help, but hope you can figure it out! If she's bright eyed and acting fine, I wouldn't worry too much about the vet unless it does look like some kind of skin condition.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    Yes Karen, she loves to be petted and loves sitting on my lap to be petted and loved. I cannot pick her up tho and I really need to get her to the vet but I can't get her in the carrier. I am going to get in touch with Animal Control to see if they can help me get her in the carrier but I think that is just wishful thinking.
    Try getting "grooming" glove, it has soft "tines" on it so the petting motion ends up being brushing!
    I've Been Frosted

Sounds like she has stopped grooming herself as thoroughly as she used to and she just has these "clumps" of hair that didn't manage to complete shed off.

Poor grooming habits CAN be an indication of underlying medical issues, however, such as thyroid issues, diabetes, or just arthritis. We will also see this in pretty obese cats because they just can't physically get to the areas they need to.

In either case, as mentioned, these areas are likely matted and can be quite painful/uncomfortable for her and something needs to be done. Even if it isn't quite matted yet to the point of being uncomfortable/painful, you need to start working them out to prevent them getting to that point. The glove Karen mentioned is a great idea.

facebook