Thread: Christian Values/Ignorance kills animals, not zoos

Christian Values/Ignorance kills animals, not zoos

The latest animal culling at Copenhagen Zoo has illustrated once again that there is something really messed up in this world. I find it unfathomable that people can allow themselves to get so worked up about the downfall of five animals in a zoo in Denmark.
    Meanwhile, millions upon millions of human beings are living in desperate poverty and are spilling across borders after being displaced from their homes thanks to conflicts in places like Syria, the Central African Republic, Mali and Somalia, to mention but a few.
    There was more media focus on the putting down of one giraffe than there was about protesters being gunned down by government militia in Venezuela, or the 1,000,000 impoverished people fleeing for their lives in South Sudan.
    Bigger fish to fry
    Maybe, just maybe, we have bigger fish to fry, or lions to cull, if you prefer.
    Instead of bleating away in the wake of an ill-informed circus drummed up by a biased agenda driven by the media, perhaps people should face the crux of the real issue behind this ‘outrage’.
    The very reasons why animals are kept and unfortunately sometimes put down in zoos today are directly related to these woefully underreported travesties.
    These conflicts, overpopulation, poverty and human encroachment onto natural habitats are why people like Bengt Holst have to go on Channel Four and explain to a bullshit artist of a news host why he must maintain the pedigree of future animal generations.
    Zoos are important
    Zoos may have begun as a form of entertainment, but they serve a higher purpose now, particularly considering the unsustainable oblivion that the world seems intent on hurtling towards.
    Of course, we would all prefer to see lions and giraffes basking in the sun on the plains of the Serengeti, but the reality is that a poacher can earn the equivalent of an annual salary for his desperate family by shooting certain animals and selling off their remains.
    But, can we really fault the impoverished third world for hacking down forests and draining water basins, when the developed world do the very same thing in the name of profit? The only reason that poaching exists is because there is a demand for it and that demand doesn’t come from undeveloped nations.
    Tears back in Nam
    In 2011, the Western Black Rhino went extinct, which translated into barely any media attention, although it did perhaps coax a tear or two out of the eye of a billionaire somewhere in Vietnam who had lost the components of his traditional medicine.
    Historically, the Western Black Rhino existed across central and western Africa, with populations in modern-day Cameroon, Chad, the Central African Republic, Sudan and South Sudan. See the connection?
    And does it not waft of hypocrisy to whinge about the demise of a few zoo creatures when the animals that make up our food industry spend their abysmal lives in a stall the size of a phone booth?
    Perhaps they should read ‘The Jungle’ by Upton Sinclair, because yeah, it sucks about Marius and the lions, but pass me a freaking McDonalds burger because writing another Facebook update about how much of an asshole Bengt Holst is has made me starving.
    By Christian Wenande
    http://cphpost.dk/news/christian-val...zoos.9151.html

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi, are you posting this because you believe it? You did not include any comments yourself, so I'm not sure what you are meaning by sharing this.

I find it highly inflammatory and inappropriate.

IMO this should live in the Dog House.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I moved this into The Dog House, where it belongs.

The headline is purposefully inflammatory, as the article itself makes no mention of "Christian Values" and what they have to do with zoos or animals.
    I've Been Frosted

I too, was outraged and sad about the killing of Marius, but apparently there was nothing else to do - according to the vets and Zoo-keepers. I hope it will never happen again! I certainly don’t agree it was neccesary to make it a public event. I would have preferred the giraffe to be placed in another Zoo. He was only two years old. In any case, they should plan better!

However, the guy who wrote it made a point about hypocracy and I agree there’s too hypocracy in this world. The main reason for that, I think, is poverty - or greed.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

The hipocrisy lies with the media. They're the ones who drive opinion, if they want people to care more about whats going on in Africa than what a zoo does, then they need to pay more attention to what's going on in Africa.

They might want to start by REALLY paying attention to what your neighbors across the Baltic are up to.....
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I moved this into The Dog House, where it belongs.

The headline is purposefully inflammatory, as the article itself makes no mention of "Christian Values" and what they have to do with zoos or animals.
    The column is called Christian Values, the author was not insinuating that Christian values have anything to do with zoos or animals.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    The column is called Christian Values, the author was not insinuating that Christian values have anything to do with zoos or animals.
    Okay, I did not realize that. Thanks for the clarification.

I still do not think the article is deigned for anything but controversy! We can care about both animals and human beings at the same time!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Okay, I did not realize that. Thanks for the clarification.

I still do not think the article is deigned for anything but controversy! We can care about both animals and human beings at the same time!
    Indeed....I've never understood the stance that some peopel take that if someone donates to an animal charity, they must not care about people. As Mother Teresa said "Find your own Calcutta" ...find a cause that speaks to you, and do what you can for it. Just because the plight of homeless children in Calcutta isn't the cause that speaks most strongly to my heart doesn't mean I don't care about it.

As for the zoo's culling...from what I understand, in both situations they did try to find the animals homes. I don't think they did themselves any favors by making Marius' culling into a public event, but if they couldn't find a home for him what were they supposed to do?