Thread: Anyone been to Good Shepherd Cat Sanctuary in Maryland? Re: HELP NEEDED, NJ FERAL COLONY IN DANGER

Anyone been to Good Shepherd Cat Sanctuary in Maryland? Re: HELP NEEDED, NJ FERAL COLONY IN DANGER

I got this e-mail message from Alexandra, who has a rescue mailing list mainly for New Jersey. This is in regard to a feral colony in Bergen County, I believe NJ. I don't know anything more than what is in this message:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sun, Apr 20, 2014 3:00 pm
    Subject: HELP NEEDED FERAL COLONY IN DANGER

Hello:

I live in Dumont NJ and there s a colony of about 20 cats that are in grave danger.

These cats are being trapped by about three neighbors that are working to get rid of the cats. Once they trap them they trapping are turning them over to Bergen County Animal Control or to the Bergen County Animal Shelter where they are killed at the shelter in 7 days max.

I found the Good Shepherd Cat Sanctuary in MD that agreed to take in every cat over the next three months starting next weekend for a fee of $350 a cat. This was a happy solution we thought, until about a week ago I started getting VERY disturbing reviews about the place and I am now really concerned about bringing these cats there.

I would like to know if anyone has any reviews about The Good Shepherd Cat Sanctuary in Maryland recently. I am staring to notice the reviews that say the place was good were from people that have been there a couple of years ago or know someone that was there a couple of years ago. However, the more people I get in contact with that have been there or know someone that has been there recently have awful things to say and some even went back to get the cats they left there because the felt so bad about leaving them at this place. These reviews are mostly from Animal Rescue Groups. As a result of these recent findings I called the Good Shepherd Cat Sanctuary last week and asked if I could come there to see the place before I take these cats on a 4 hours drive there. The woman Annette flipped out became very angry and said absolutely not. She proceeded to get more and more furious on the phone and said that they are busy taking in cats everyday... I asked how many cats were there and if they had an intake limit and she didn't have to tell me these things and that people like me were trouble and I shouldn't bring the cats there. I was shocked and even more alarmed by this reaction from her. I because I care about these cats future and well being it is only responsible that I ask these general questions and that I would want to see the place. There was more to the conversation that resulted in her escalating anger and I begged her to keep my dates because I don't have any other option for these cats as they will die of they stay hear.

Even though I was able to keep the intake dates I don't feel right about this. I need help from anyone that knows of a different sanctuary that has good reputation and that is willing to take in cats. Also if anyone knows how to protect these cats if they end up with nowhere to go which it's starting to look that way. Maybe info on having breakaway collars with tags put on the cats and town licensing them or something. Don't even know i thats possible. I and so distraught over this and need help please.

Please let me know any info you have that may help us save these cats.

Stephanie Soda
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Anyone know what happened with this situation? Or more specifically, Good Shepherd?

We are thinking about contacting them about a feral/semi-feral colony in NJ that is in a bad situation, but I would like as much info on them as possible.

Good shephard

I have delivered cats there twice. They do seem to take great care of their charges.
    All the hutches have air-conditioning and heat. Most have a caged area on the front and some on the back s the cats can go in and out when thy want.
    The owner does not live on the property, but a volunteer live less then 100 yards from the entrance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ENTRANCE.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	58892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HUTCH INSIDE.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	58891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HUTCH 1 DOOR.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	58893  
    GILL & Crew;

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine0110 View Post
    Anyone know what happened with this situation? Or more specifically, Good Shepherd?

We are thinking about contacting them about a feral/semi-feral colony in NJ that is in a bad situation, but I would like as much info on them as possible.

Did you decide to take the cats there ? I just spoke with someone there recently because I found a mom and 2 kittens and everywhere else is saying they are full but I would like to hear from someone who has worked with them to let me know their personal experience