Thread: They Found The Runt Of The Litter Dead At The Bottom Of The Pile. Or So They Thought…

They Found The Runt Of The Litter Dead At The Bottom Of The Pile. Or So They Thought…

April 21, 2014 Stories

This small litter of kittens was found in terrible shape. They were nearly killed by their flea infestation, their eyes were badly infected and their mother was malnourished and semi-feral. The cats were in dire need of some human assistance. A Good Samaritan brought the kittens in to the Fabulous Felines NWA cat rescue to get help. It looked like all of them would make a recovery… except for one.
    He was the runt, and he was in bad shape.
    All of the kittens were sick, but beneath the pile of litter mates was a still, unmoving form.

Fabulous Felines NWA cat rescue

It was the runt. The rescuers thought he was dead.

He was alive, though. They named him Stuart Little. The kitten was terribly dehydrated, losing hair, and had badly infected eyes.

He weighed just under 3oz, while his litter mates were about 9oz. He was 2-3 weeks old and weighed less than a newborn.

They cleaned his eyes with warm saline and began to tube feed Stuart (Chapstick tube for size).

Within a week of his rescue, his weight doubled. Not only that, but he began looking like a cat… and not a tiny mouse.

Stuart next to one of his litter mates, who were massive in comparison.

Stuart’s feral mom was very stressed and wouldn’t feed the babies, so this surrogate mother named Bessie gladly stepped in.

Bessie made sure that Stuart was getting enough to eat.

Stuart had loving litter mates, but also some great foster brothers and sisters as well. (His brother is sitting directly behind him.)

Read more at http://www.viralnova.com/stuart-litt...Y8YXmSmhROe.99
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

At 6 weeks old, Stuart was getting more cat-like, but his body still needed to catch up with his head.

He began following Bessie’s lead and began eating solid food.

Another Chapstick picture to show his growth.

At 8 weeks, he was finally up to 1lb.

At 12 weeks-old and still a little shy of the 2lb milestone.

As it turns out, Stuart had beautiful flame point Siamese markings.

His brother Gravy was happy to still have him around.

And after a long and tiring journey, Stuart found a forever home.

Source: Kitty Army
    Even though Stuart started out in a much worse condition compared to his siblings Gravy, Biscuit, Omelette, Oatmeal, Pancake, and Pop Tart (he managed to get away with a non-breakfast food name), he ended up making a marvelous recovery thanks to his fighting spirit and kind hearted rescue workers. There are more neglected and homeless kitties in the world than you realize. What the people at Fabulous Felines and other rescues do to help these animals is truly touching. If you’d like to find out about how you can help foster or adopt cats in need, visit the Fabulous Felines NWA site or Facebook page.

Read more at http://www.viralnova.com/stuart-litt...Y8YXmSmhROe.99
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Aww, nice. Like a Cat of the Day story!
    I've Been Frosted

Very nice story!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Aww, great save of a precious little baby!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Stuart is soooo precious! His littermates, also. Yes, it is sad what happens to most feral and unwanted cats. Both my Kimba and Mac were badly neglected when I adopted them. Kimba had been deserted by his family, who left him behind when they moved (their loss, my gain). Mac had just been mostly ignored by his owners, not fed or given water for days at a time. How people can do this is beyond me. Cats are made for love, and it is that simple. They give back 100 times what we give them. Why people mistreat animals is beyond me, they are what keep my heart beating! I am so happy that Stuart and family were rescued and are now safe, healthy, and loved.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Holy moly what a teeny little kitty! I'm glad to see him thrivnig now!

Thank You for posting that photos of that most fortunate Kitten. That is a tale of a Kitten that makes us so very happy!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

This reminds me of a personal experience; not only is the story similar, but in both cases, the kittens are white.
    Several years ago, a friend of mine, manager of a municipal cat shelter in Appalachia, was given two tiny kittens who'd been found by the side of a ruarl road. Both, of course, were undernourished and extremely frail. In spite of the best efforts of my friend Cathy, the little boy passed on, but Cathy took the little girl under her personal wing. Because I sponsored the little girl, Cathy let me name her, and I called her Frosty, since she's pure white. I forgotten exactly how much Frosty weighed, but it wasn't more than a 2 or 3 ounces; she easily fit into the palm of Cathy's hand. Cathy, along with her volunteer, Cynthia, would feed Frosty every 2 hours while they were at the shelter. When it was time to go home, Frosty went with Cathy, who continued the feedings throughout the night. When Cathy had to travel 2 hours to the nearest hospital for tests, Frosty went, too, Cathy's husband making certain that Frosty got her regular feedings. With all this, Cathy *still* had the shelter and all its cats to manage! Frosty thrived and turned into a long-haired beauty. Cynthia couldn't resist, and adopted Frosty, whom she renamed Priscilla. I'm told that Priscilla is queen of the house and has adopted Cynthia's husband as her own human.

If anyone ever feels as if you'd like to make a donation in memory of a departed furchild, just pm me, and I'll give you the name and addresss of this wonderful shelter (Cathy is now director of the entire shelter, cats and dogs) that remains no-kill in spite of the attitude of some of the local officials.

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

What a wonderful story- and what a little fighter.

Soo cute! We are going to be nursing 3 orphaned kittens this weekend (our neighbor found them and is taking care of them but needs a surrogate this weekend as she is going away). I'll post pictures

I recently learned that kittens form he same litter may be concieved days apart - I wonder if Stuart was conceived much later than his siblings.

Stuart Little is beyond cute!!! And what great peeps and organization, not to mention kitty wet nurse Bessie to give him a chance for a purrfect future!

Awww----what started as a very sad story for me finished with a great ending. I think this is the most I've ever learned about abandoned cats... had I been in the area I would have adopted ths little fighter. What a change from when they first found him...
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Oh I'm so glad this little guy made it! I can't believe how tiny he was! I'd love to see how he's doing now!