Thread: Advice wanted - repair or replace my smartphone?

Advice wanted - repair or replace my smartphone?

Okay - last Thursday I dropped my Nexus 4 into a shallow puddle. I bought a Blackberry Torch from a good friend - it was one replaced under warranty and never used. I went to my provider and they put in their SIM card. I had one H of a time unlocking it. I finally did - and it said "Invalid SIM card". I figured I'd work that out with my provider later and, after changing the date and time, powered down the BB.

Powered it up and it wanted to be unlocked again! And I had used up all 10 tries my friend's provider gave me.

My Nexus is working except for the touch screen. I can see texts as they arrive but not after they do; if I phone it, it rings. Everything seems to work except the touchscreen.

My friend is going on holidays tomorrow so I can't try the other less-new Blackberry.

Replacement phones on Kijiji are very expensive.

Minimum repair will be about $240 if all it needs is a sonic bath (for the motherboard, because of the water - everything restored like new) and a new screen.

To replace this phone is $400; I've had it only since February and do not qualify for an upgrade.

What do you think? What have you done in a similar situation?

I actually prefer the Nexus over the BB.

Thank you!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I would look around for deals on new phones - you can sometimes get them inexpensively if you sign up for a contact through your provider.
    I've Been Frosted

Hi Karen - I originally got this phone for $49.99 with a two year contract that I started in February. Sooo....not an option. But thank you for replying!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Hi Karen - I originally got this phone for $49.99 with a two year contract that I started in February. Sooo....not an option. But thank you for replying!
    Do they not have a cheap replacement phone? And do you use your phone for anything other than telephony?
    I've Been Frosted

Well..."cheap" is relative - though there is a shop that repairs cell phones and sells refurbished ones. The cheaper one was $250.

I changed my cell use after I realized that some of my clients and friends assumed I got email on my phone. I switched providers and got internet, unlimited texting in Canada and the US (as long as I text the US from Canada), unlimited Canada-wide calling and 1GB of data which is all I need. All this for $54.60 per month including tax, which is better than my old plan of $45 - $50 for just text and phone!

I had a Smart phone and was a stupid owner. That last thing I figured out how to do, and had to check the manual for, was how to actually answer a phone call!

This will get figured. Thank you again for answering.

OK - I took my smartphone to a shop that both repairs mobiles and sells refurbished ones.

It cost just as much - if not less - to get mine fixed.

They said it should be ready tomorrow - fingers crossed! And I hope there is no further damage they find. Only the top 1/4 was actually in water before I grabbed it and placed it upside down in my car.

YAAY! $265 later and it's like new! HAPPY DANCE!