Thread: My new smart phone has a boo-boo.... :(

My new smart phone has a boo-boo.... :(

I dropped it in a shallow puddle at a shopping mall yesterday (it fell out of a compartment in my purse).

Got it home several hours later - removed the SIM, battery etc and buried it in rice overnight.

Reassembled it this morning, and it's like yesterday. Everything works except the touchscreen!

I replaced the plastic cover on the screen that had become wet. Lots of air bubbles to smooth out.

Ideas? THANKS!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I dropped it in a shallow puddle at a shopping mall yesterday (it fell out of a compartment in my purse).

Got it home several hours later - removed the SIM, battery etc and buried it in rice overnight.

Reassembled it this morning, and it's like yesterday. Everything works except the touchscreen!

I replaced the plastic cover on the screen that had become wet. Lots of air bubbles to smooth out.

Ideas? THANKS!
    Is it under warranty? Does the screen light up, and just not respond to touch? What brand/maker is it?
    I've Been Frosted

It's a Lexus 4. The digitizer plastic I removed. Everything works except the touchscreen (even with the digitizer plastic back on, though I can sweep a bit from the top).

It's hard to find a place open on Good Friday. One place charges $189 to replace the screen and digitizer. That's more than I paid for the phone.

Guess I'll have to get another phone.

Wait another day, there still may be moisture in there.
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks, Karen.

I have contacted a couple of repair places but with this being a holiday weekend I won't hear for a couple of days.

You have a point - I mean, the phone rings and behaves well, but just the durn touchscreen won't work.

I have it charging right now...is that a good idea?

Thanks again.

OK - I got a phone from a good friend - bought it. A Blackberry Torch 8900.

After not being told to enter the unlock code twice on the same attempt, I unlocked it with one try to go!

Now it says "invalid SIM card". I did change a few functions on it like time and date and shut it down. I restarted it and it came up TELUS (the previous provider) and asked me if I wanted to unlock the phone!!!! GRRRR!

I don't know how to shift it over to Virgin Mobile. This is one of the phones they support.

This will be a looooong day....