Thread: Fish photos; another RESCUE!; and a silly ending

Fish photos; another RESCUE!; and a silly ending

I took some photos of my 50 gallon tank last evening. I've continued to work on set up, it now has driftwood and more live plants. I've also improved the lighting so it is easier for me to get pics.

Gold cory cat

Bronze and gold cory - they make me smile, lol.

Cory cats are very busy fish!

So shiny!

This gold cory sat 'napping' in the cave for over half an hour.

Ivory mystery snail

Riding high! He was really moving!

Ahh, had to get to that leaf.

Rummy nose

With the improved lighting, now I can capture the lamb chop rasboras on camera

I did another rescue on Wednesday, stand by for more photos.

This rescue was a FISH! This fish was sitting alone, in a 10 gallon tank, in an empty office at a place of business. At one time, thy employees had been excited to have fish, and there were several in the tank. Over time, the others died, and everyone lost interest. The lights were on a timer, there was an automatic food feeder, so someone went in once every 2 weeks (with luck), to do water changes. All they could tell me was, "it is a little white fish." WRONG!

It is a rather large Pink Kissing Gourami!

The tank rim, filter, heater etc were all thickly crusted with 'tank gunk.' (my term) No idea how the fish survived. It is now in my 50 gallon. Not sure it is staying, as it is about 5 inches and only half its adult size. My tank was set up for small fish. Anyway, meet Skye:

That was when I first got home. Still sorting things out, and what not. Here is another:

Oh, wait. Did you see that slight pinkish blur way, way in the back? This fish is so shy and skiddish, after living who knows how long in a vacant office, that getting pics is really difficult. I have over a 100 like this:
    Peaking at me

This is a pic of its reflection, which it adores and stares at for ages, lol. Of course this is a rear corner, the actual fish is hidden in the plants.

I was so frustrated, I put my hand in to get this vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g80f...ature=youtu.be

Mostly it slowly drifts across the tank, so far shows no interest in the other fish. As I sit across the room, I can easily see it but once I approach the tank, it hides. I keep saying 'it,' as this is one fish species for which is very hard to identify gender. Even folks who know they have a male and female -- because the female was pregnant and easy to ID -- have trouble telling the 2 apart after spawning.

Got a surprise ending, stand by!

As I was sitting putting together the photos, last evening, I heard some odd noises. Eventually tracked the sounds as coming from below the 50 gallon tank. WHAT? So I went over and opened one door and saw this:

The first one is a bit blurry, as I still had the camera set for the in-tank close ups. This is my boy, Willy! I must not have had the lid on tight, as you can see he got out one package of fish flakes. My dogs and cats all steal the fish food, which is why I had to put them in the containers in the first place. I 'thought' they were safe in the cabinet!

Once he realized he was 'caught,' he backed out of the cabinet.

Not giving up yet!

Ignoring me

Not sure how he got back there; the tank is catty corner. He insisted he could NOT get out himself, I had to remove the containers and he PROUDLY stepped through. Guess I'll have to see about a board propped up in the back to block it and keep him out. With Willy, once he's found a food source, there is no stopping him! He is a real problem solver. Keeps me on my toes, he hee.

Willy, you iz NOT a fish! Good job keeping mom guessing, though!
    I've Been Frosted

Good for you for rescuing the fish! What a terrible life s/he had and, yes, as you said, it's a wonder it is alive. I enjoyed your fish pics very much. Your aquarium is beautiful! I gave up a long time ago trying to have an aquarium but do appreciate those who can maintain one and keep the fish healthy. I know my two little dogs like fish food. I often buy fish pellets for the pond and the pups go nuts for it. Sounds as if Willy realllly likes it. Good Luck!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Leave it to Willy! When I had my tanks, the dogs and cats I had at that time, just loved eating any fish flakes that I may have dropped on the floor when feeding. Those flakes definitely had a strong aroma - rather stinky in my opinion.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

WILLY Got a good laugh out of that LOL. Always up to something.

I love your tank, you have me jealous! I seriously love the corycats...they're absolutely precious. They remind me of little dogs, it almost looks like they sniff around the gravel for food first and then eat everything in sight. I saw your "rescue" post on FB, and I am so glad you did rescue him. I really like Gouramis, I've never had them because I have heard they don't make very good community fish but I suppose it depends on the species. Your new one is lovely and he'll be a lot better off in your care for sure. I wonder if he stares at his reflection because he knows he's pretty. I swear my bettas do that LOL

Thanks for posting Karen, Kay, Elli and Alysser.

The cory cats sure are busy fishies!

And Willy, well, his is th problem solver who keeps me on my toes.

Here is a photo of Skye, the pink kissing gourami I rescued last week. Settling in well. This photo was takne from across the room, because this fish still hides when I approach the tank.

My tank water is also clearer; I was overfeeding.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I love how you have everything set up.
    I used to have a pair of dwarf gourami's ages ago. They were darker than this wee one though, and not all that large.

Great rescue stories - I'm including Willy at the end!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Hi Crystal,

These kissing gouramis grow VERY large, and are actually a food source in Thailand! That is the natural green variety, not the albino / pink which is specifically bred for the fish hobby. So, Skye is ok in my 50 gallon for now, but will eventually require a 75 gallon.

The dwarf gourami is a whole 'nother story!

Aww, I'm so glad you got Skye to safety! S/he is lovely!

I love the kissing gourami. Unfortunately I never had any luck with ones I brought into my tank. They never lived very long for some reason. They were my favorite in my tank but I've given up on them D:

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo