Thread: UPDATE!! 4yo special needs Siamese in San Jose, CA

UPDATE!! 4yo special needs Siamese in San Jose, CA

UPDATE 4/11/14

Meow has some extra time now for a solution to be found, because yesterday her owner had to be rushed to the hospital. It turns out she has a HUGE cyst behind her knee which requires surgery. Today when I went to take care of Meow I ran into her caretaker, who asked if I would be available to babysit the owner during the day for an unknown amount of time until she is recovered from surgery. Of course I agreed, so I'll be hanging around there all day every day for awhile anyways. My plan is to try and get Meow more used to me so that she isn't so afraid when I come in. We're also going to start skipping days...we're going to eventually get her down to three days a week and see how she does. Paws crossed that this works out long-term, it would be so great to keep them together!

I've been helping a sweet elderly lady care for her 4yo siamese, Meow, who suffered a kindey infection and went into renal failure.

Meow's blood and urine both show that she is free of infection, but the lost kidney function will never be recovered and she will need fluids and pepcid for the rest of her life. Her owner is not going to be able to keep paying me to come out to her home daily (though I dropped my price to almost nothing, it still adds up over time) and she is looking for a new home for Meow. If we don't find something, Meow will likely be PTS. I AM contacting rescues as well, but we're in the thick of kitten season right now and I'm thinking it's not likely we'll find placement for her in rescue.

Meow does run away if she knows the fluids and pill are coming, but once caught she does not put up a fuss. She gets 100ml of fluid and 1/8 tablet of pepcid daily. I put the pepcid into a pill pocket and then pill her with it, as she caught on to the pill pockets pretty early on. She's a petite cat, about 5lbs, and VERY friendly. She was raised around other cats and small dogs, and is fine with both. Her long-term prognosis is excellent, she should be fine for the rest of her life with fluids and pepcid.

I'm unemployed right now and don't have much to offer, but I would be happy to teach Meow's new owner how to give fluids and to offer very inexpensive pet-sitting services anytime her new people travel.

I don't have a picture of her right now, but I'll try and snap one tomorrow.

If anyone could help spread the word, it would be much appreciated!! I can be reached at [email protected]
    Last edited by snakemama; 04-11-2014 at 09:34 PM.

I forgot to mention, she is spayed and UTD on vaccines, never been outside, and uses the litterbox religiously now that her UTI is cleared up.

I snapped a picture of Meow today mid-fluids.

Aww, what a sweetie, hope she finds a home!
    I've Been Frosted

Awww she is a cutie.
    How sad it would be if she had to be PTS

Meow is just beautiful!
    I know you said you have been contacting rescues but have you tried Siamese Rescue?
    Here is the contact information for the Pacific Siamese Rescue that should have foster homes in your area.

http://cn.siameserescue.org/CNcontactus.html
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

You can also try Best Friends. They have an intake program specifically targeting special needs cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermontcat View Post
    Meow is just beautiful!
    I know you said you have been contacting rescues but have you tried Siamese Rescue?
    Here is the contact information for the Pacific Siamese Rescue that should have foster homes in your area.

http://cn.siameserescue.org/CNcontactus.html
    I did, and the lady who contacted me back has been super sweet and full of helpful ideas and encouragement, even though they're full right now. She clearly took a lot of time coming up with ideas and trying to help. She also suggested Best Friends, though it slipped my mind in the midst of everything else. I'll email them right now!

A few people have asked about the cost of me going out there - I did offer to keep coming for free...She lives nearby and Meow is no trouble, I'm generally out the door and back in ~25 minutes. The owner wouldn't hear of it, which I do understand, though it makes me a little sad as I consider her a dear friend.

She probably feels like she would be taking advantage of your friendship
    if you go there everyday and don't charge her.
    Especially knowing your not working and could use the money.
    I hope she changes her mind for Meows sake

"Meow has some extra time now for a solution to be found, because yesterday her owner had to be rushed to the hospital. It turns out she has a HUGE cyst behind her knee which requires surgery."

SORRY YOUR FRIEND ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL
    BUT GLAD TO HERE MEOW HAS MORE TIME

We're also going to start skipping days...we're going to eventually get her down to three days a week and see how she does. Paws crossed that this works out long-term, it would be so great to keep them together!

PAWS CROSSED MEOW GETS TO STAY IN HER HOME

Paws crossed here too.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery