Apr 8 2014
... getting a kitten LOL. I miss having a cat even with my two little inside dogs. Bear with me as I write about my dilemma.
I KNOW it would be a JOB especially at first to have a little kitten with Sissy & LilGirl. I'm pretty sure LilGirl would NOT like having a kitten around. It took 2 yrs before she "accepted" Sissy (& they still have little spats). On the other hand, I'm sure Sissy Pom would love having someone to play with. She might even be too playful. LilGirl liked Luke ok but Sissy reallllly liked him.
I know it will make more work for me. Right now I feed Sissy & LilGirl separately & would have to feed a new kitten separately. I know I would not be able to leave dry food out for kitten because Sissy would find it even up on a stool & knock it over & eat it. As kitten grows I could put food higher & higher & then cat could jump to it.
I'm also wondering if Sissy would try to get in the litter box. My little Sissy Pom is an inquisitive sassy spunky little dog. I'm not concerned that LilGirl would get in the litterbox but I don't know about Sissy. I do recall Sissy did not get in Luke's litterbox but she was curious.
I'm also thinking "where will kitten sleep" especially at first. Would kitten be alright on couch with Sissy for the night? I'm thinking "not at first until two pups have gotten used to kitten". Right now at night Sissy sleeps alone on couch & LilGirl sleeps in her bed in my bedroom. I could leave LilGirl on couch with Sissy now that they are more friendly. Then I could take kitten (with extra litter box) to my room at night & in the daytime we all could be together with me watching their interaction. I'm not one to have cat/dog sleep with me in bed as I have very restless nights.
I've never had a kitten with two dogs inside. I recall I got Luke kitten when I had Honey a rat terrier who was shy. Luke cat used to jump on her back and scare her & I would chase him with fly swatter.
oh me, I've thought of many reasons NOT to get a kitten... but down deep I still want one. What do you think, especially you folks who have dogs and cats? How did your dog/s do when you brought in a kitten or cat? How did you introduce them? Tell me any negatives. Thanks.... Kay