Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please talk me out of ....

Please talk me out of ....

Apr 8 2014
    ... getting a kitten LOL. I miss having a cat even with my two little inside dogs. Bear with me as I write about my dilemma.
    I KNOW it would be a JOB especially at first to have a little kitten with Sissy & LilGirl. I'm pretty sure LilGirl would NOT like having a kitten around. It took 2 yrs before she "accepted" Sissy (& they still have little spats). On the other hand, I'm sure Sissy Pom would love having someone to play with. She might even be too playful. LilGirl liked Luke ok but Sissy reallllly liked him.
    I know it will make more work for me. Right now I feed Sissy & LilGirl separately & would have to feed a new kitten separately. I know I would not be able to leave dry food out for kitten because Sissy would find it even up on a stool & knock it over & eat it. As kitten grows I could put food higher & higher & then cat could jump to it.
    I'm also wondering if Sissy would try to get in the litter box. My little Sissy Pom is an inquisitive sassy spunky little dog. I'm not concerned that LilGirl would get in the litterbox but I don't know about Sissy. I do recall Sissy did not get in Luke's litterbox but she was curious.
    I'm also thinking "where will kitten sleep" especially at first. Would kitten be alright on couch with Sissy for the night? I'm thinking "not at first until two pups have gotten used to kitten". Right now at night Sissy sleeps alone on couch & LilGirl sleeps in her bed in my bedroom. I could leave LilGirl on couch with Sissy now that they are more friendly. Then I could take kitten (with extra litter box) to my room at night & in the daytime we all could be together with me watching their interaction. I'm not one to have cat/dog sleep with me in bed as I have very restless nights.
    I've never had a kitten with two dogs inside. I recall I got Luke kitten when I had Honey a rat terrier who was shy. Luke cat used to jump on her back and scare her & I would chase him with fly swatter.
    oh me, I've thought of many reasons NOT to get a kitten... but down deep I still want one. What do you think, especially you folks who have dogs and cats? How did your dog/s do when you brought in a kitten or cat? How did you introduce them? Tell me any negatives. Thanks.... Kay

But Kay! There is a kitten out there who needs you! I see more positives than negatives, and a kitten would be a good playmate for Sissy, and LilGirl would adjust. Kittens can climb to stay out of cranky dog's way, too. Putting the litterbox where Sissy cannot get to it should not be too hard, and once they are introduced and comfy with each other, I see no reason why the kitten couldn't sleep on the couch with Sissy. Slow, careful introduction is key, and getting a kitten who has already been around dogs will help. Most rescue groups do try to familiarize kittens with canines when they can.
    I've Been Frosted

Isn't this the WRONG site to be asking for someone to talk you out of a kitty?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I have two dogs and two cats. When I got Paizly I only had Taz (RB kitty) and Zoee. I put her in the spare bedroom and slowly introduced her to the house and the other animals. They can smell each other under the door and I have a baby gate I put up. Then I let Zoee in the room to meet her. She was fine, they both were. Then I'd let Paizly out to the rest of the house under close supervision. Eventually (and it doesn't seem like it was that long) she was out and about in the house terrorizing Taz.
    Then when I brought Jax home I already had Zoee, Paizly and Taggart. I did the same with him. Only I had to supervise the baby gate interaction since he was quick to scale the gate.
    I would say it only took about two weeks before the kitten was able to be out in the house.

Do you have a room or even a bathroom where kitten can live for a couple weeks while getting acquainted with the dogs? If you are willing and able to take the time (and I'm sure you are) to do the slow, well supervised introduction then I say GO FOR IT!!

I'm sure I don't need to say this - but just don't leave them alone together until you are completely comfortable with their interactions with each other.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Please adopt a kitten (or two..) !

You know that any questions or possible problems come up, you need only speak your concern here, and you will get all the answers and advice you will ever need!

from Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

First, there are traits specific to a breed. MOST bichons have little to no prey drive. MOST Akitas have a high prey drive.

Then, there are individuals. Of all my fluffs, this group followed their breed ideal and had no prey drive: Sugar, Lacey, Marlin, Ozzy, Ben.

THIS group did not read the breed standard! - Riley, Willy, Tony - pup.

Tasha is not listed. As a puppy mill rescue, Tasha has no idea what she is supposed to do. For the first 3 years she lived here, she ignored the cats, because the other dogs here did. Then Willy arrived. Now, Tasha chases the cats but when she gets up to them, she stops, as she has no idea WHY she is chasing them. So skip over Tasha completely; mill rescues are a whole 'nother story.

You will first want to learn about prey drive in your dogs' breeds. THEN you need to sort out your individuals for their personalities. And Sissy was still very young when Luke passed, so I'm not so sure her full personality had developed. Can't recall her age, exactly. Plus, Luke knew how to dish out a swat, which a kitten may or may not at first.

I think the bigger issue will be the food and boxes. I have baby gates all over my house, to keep the dogs out of the cat food and litter boxes. Once a dog gets a taste of the 'tootsie roll' in the litter box, that's it, they go repeatedly. Cats are not efficient digesters, their poops are high in protein -- and so, taste good to dogs. But that high protein is high enough to give the dog kidney issues. If the dog(s) are going to get in to the litter boxes, you can bet that it will happen when you are not home, the first time.

Personally, I think your 2 dogs will be fine with a kitten. Your putting the cat bowl on a stool, well, that just suggests to me that you have not quite sorted it all out in your mind as yet. You will, and then you will be posting an announcement on here about your new family member!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Isn't this the WRONG site to be asking for someone to talk you out of a kitty?
    LOL!

I have brought home puppies, kittens and grown cats. I guess I can be quite brave sometimes! I went from three dogs/two cats to two dogs/three cats. Things have a way of working out because you find a way! It might be a bit of effort at first, but I'm thinking you could get everything worked out.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Apr 10 2014
    Hello Folks, I appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks...Kay
    Guess what I got today???
    Here's a photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STA_8429-001.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	725.5 KB 
ID:	57981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8433.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	57982  

Sissy, did you get up there yourself???? I suspect not but then, I've heard some funny tales about you, little fluffy one!

Quote Originally Posted by kaycountrygal View Post
    Apr 10 2014
    Hello Folks, I appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks...Kay
    Guess what I got today???
    Here's a photo.
    You got a dog tree!!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

That's one funny looking cat!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    You got a dog tree!!!
    Nah, she got a dogwood tree! I hear they are in bloom about now in some parts of the country!
    I've Been Frosted

Things are looking like you sort of, maybe, uh, kind of, are thinking of getting a kitty.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Looks like Sissy is keeping a spot warm for any newcomer. Good girl.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hmmmmm... I wonder what might be happening here.....

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery