Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer questions

Computer questions

So sorry to be such a pain but going from an xp os to 8.1 is like taking a kindergartener and putting her in college. I feel as dumb as one anyway.

Please tell me how to close windows that have no x in the corner. I saw a video that said put your pointed to the top until it tuned to a hand and drag the screen down to the bottom until blue screen shows up. The click the blue space. when I turn loose of the screen though it pops back and no blue screen.

Also, my computer came with Norton anti virus. I did not install it but put AVG on. It's what I have on this computer. It keeps finding the following: threat - hidden driver c:/program files (x86) infected
    ususally there are two of them.

AVG gets rid of the threats but they show up again at the end of the next day. Any suggestions?
    Could it be picking up the Norton files and thinking they are infected? or some app I have never been able to close?

Everyone in a while when I turn that computer off, it will say it can't close because a certain app needs to close. It shows a picture of it but I have not clue as to what it is. Then the computer shuts down anyway before I can tell it not to.

Can any one help me?

I am doing a full system scan every night now before I turn that computer off.

I'm thinking of just boxing it back up and returning it to Walmart but don't know how to get my personal stuff off plus would have to call the cable co to hook up a different one.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

MOFF, the next time AVG finds those things, open up the AVG box and click on Reports at the top.

Then on the left click on 'scheduled scan'. It will show you the report for that scan.

Sometimes AVG finds things but doesn't remove them - they have to be done manually (don't ask me why! lol)

Click on one of the things it found and you should be able to click "remove" lower down in the box.

If you have some typs of instant messenger so we can communicate, I am more than happy to remote in to your computer and have a look. Let me know.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    MOFF, the next time AVG finds those things, open up the AVG box and click on Reports at the top.

Then on the left click on 'scheduled scan'. It will show you the report for that scan.

Sometimes AVG finds things but doesn't remove them - they have to be done manually (don't ask me why! lol)

Click on one of the things it found and you should be able to click "remove" lower down in the box.

If you have some typs of instant messenger so we can communicate, I am more than happy to remote in to your computer and have a look. Let me know.
    Thanks Catty1. It probably does have some sort of instant messenger but darned it I know where it is or what it looks like.

AVG has been telling me those threats need my attention. When I go to that screen it says it needs to reboot my computer. So I let it reboot it. I have reran a scan after that and they are gone. Seems like they just keep coming back.

I have a book coming next week on windows 8.1 maybe it will mention an instant messenger thing. Or maybe I can type it in on the search thing on the charm section and see if it shows one. I'll let you know. That is another thing I've never used.

That computer is shut off for now. Inspite of what the cable co told me having one on wifi and one not both on at the same time do interfear with each.

I ususally work on the new one in the evening until I can get used to it.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

The next time you are on that computer try this: http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

It's the one I use and it's great. Nothing extra downloads with it either. As soon as you type in your password, it goes straight to your screen.

Then click on Start and go up and click on your name. A window/box will open with your pictures, music, documents etc in there - you will see all the folders.

Does it close down so I can get back to my start screen? I don't want to change anything permently right now. I'm confused enough.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Thanks for giving me reasons not to switch to 8 or 8.1. I know I would have the same problems you are having. I hope you'll find answers soon and learn how to use your new OS.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    Thanks for giving me reasons not to switch to 8 or 8.1. I know I would have the same problems you are having. I hope you'll find answers soon and learn how to use your new OS.
    Anyone who is familar with smart phones would probably love it. It looks like one with all the apps and stuff. I, however, am not.

I finally stumbled on how to close those silly windows. Not sure it's the right way but it worked for me.

Move the pointer to the top of the screen until it becomes a hand. Drag the screen to the left as far as you can. It shrinks into a small box and lives on that side until you close it. To close it, hover your mouse over it then right click. A small close box appears on the app. click close and it goes bye bye.

I found that out when I tried to turn the thing off. It popped up a message saying it wouldn't close because a certain app was running. I had no clue what app it was because I had opened none that I knew off. I ended up with two running split screen and then another one. I was so glad to finally discover how to close them.

My brother said I should have gotten windows 7. Yeah, now he tells me. I didn't want to go through this again in a few years though so am gonna stick it out. If I can get to my favorite sites and still do email, I'll be happy.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

More questions!

I have been using AVG for my virus protection. I did not uninstall Norton which came with my computer because it was free for 30 days. I left it in case there was a problem with the computer.

Now it seems Norton has installed itself and turned off my AVG. If I uninstall Norton, will my AVG work again? I can't even get it to open when I click it's icon.

Or would it be best to wait until Norton's 30 days are up? Help?
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

OK.

Remove Norton.

Go to the Norton page here and download the Norton Removal Tool. The directions are there: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/..._en_us?src=nrt

Thanks catty. I'm having company this weekend so the new computer is stuck in its box under my bed until next week.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Finally got rid of Norton!!! I had to reinstall AVG but that's ok.

Thanks Catty1 and everyone for all your help. I'll probably be back!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Another question

When I get on line with my Internet explorer in windows 8.1 it seems to have a search bar instead of the address bar. No matter what url I type in Bing searches for it and gives me ones I don't want.

Is there anyway to make it stop doing the searching and just bring up the url I typed in? I just want an address bar. I don't do a lot of searching.

I go on line from the desktop not the start side.

Thanks
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    When I get on line with my Internet explorer in windows 8.1 it seems to have a search bar instead of the address bar. No matter what url I type in Bing searches for it and gives me ones I don't want.

Is there anyway to make it stop doing the searching and just bring up the url I typed in? I just want an address bar. I don't do a lot of searching.

I go on line from the desktop not the start side.

Thanks
    Do you type it complete with the http:// part?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Do you type it complete with the http:// part?
    I'd done it with it and without and it still searches for all sites.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    I'd done it with it and without and it still searches for all sites.
    Check under your preferences, you probably have a setting where you can choose a different option for that menu bar.
    I've Been Frosted