Thread: My Snakey guest!

My Snakey guest!

My aunt and uncle have had Snakey since he was a wee little thing, around 16 years now. He's an elderly snake, and last week a strange lump popped up on his tail. This lump tuned out to be a tumor, so Snakey had surgery yesterday to remove it.

Unfortunately, getting a snake to open his mouth for antibiotics is...er...well...possibly more challenging than getting a cat to do the same! After my aunt told me about several failed attempts, I offered to babysit Snakey for the next three weeks so he can have his antibiotics.

We did his first dose tonight, and I think I'll have my hubby help me next time. I got Snakey's mouth open with a Q-tip no problem, but some of the antibiotics sloshed onto the Q-tip and he did not get a full dose. >.<

Here's Snakey! The blood-tinged spots are from where he's still oozing a little onto the paper towels, but the surgical site actually looks REALLY good. Sorry for the cell phone pics, I'll try to do better in a day or two. Right now I jsut want him to hide and relax.

(No, he's not living in that little box, that's just his carrier!)

Aww, handsome boy, hope he heals well, and everything is fine with him!
    I've Been Frosted

I hope you're better soon Snakey.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Hubby helped me with antibiotics tonight and it went MUCH better! Snakey is also no longer oozing! I'll try to get a good picture of his incision in a day or two!

D'awwww!!! So cute!! I hope his recovery is swift and he takes all his medicine like a good snakey boy.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I made Snakey a new hide without rough edges today, and he seems quite happy.

Blog Entries
    Snakey sure is a pretty color. How old do snakes live in captivity?
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

The oldest living corn snake I've heard of was 24...I think 16-18 is more typical. So Snakey is certainly a senior citizen!

Snakemama, how is your guest doing with his medication? Does his wound look better?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

He's doing great! I think it's a little too cold for him right now, I need to ask my sister in law if she has any extra heaters. He came to me with a heat lamp, but I'm afraid it would dry out his skin, plus I worry that the cats would knock it over and start a fire.

The wound and the stitches are looking quite nice. I'm always amazed at seeing scales sutured through, but it looks nice and smooth and like it's starting ot heal. Snakes heal S L O W L Y, so I probably won't see much difference for a week or more, but for now no news is good news!

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    He's doing great! I think it's a little too cold for him right now, I need to ask my sister in law if she has any extra heaters. He came to me with a heat lamp, but I'm afraid it would dry out his skin, plus I worry that the cats would knock it over and start a fire.

The wound and the stitches are looking quite nice. I'm always amazed at seeing scales sutured through, but it looks nice and smooth and like it's starting ot heal. Snakes heal S L O W L Y, so I probably won't see much difference for a week or more, but for now no news is good news!
    Awww, how nice! Glad he is doing well!
    I've Been Frosted

Great to hear!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quick update!

Snakey had his first ever frozen/thawed meal today. He's been eating live for 15+ years, so I wasn't sure he'd go for it, but he went for it immediately!
    In the meantime, a few pics...

His sutures. The small black spot is of some concern, but it's staying the same size and not oozing or anything, so we're going to see what it looks like after he sheds.

Down the hatch!

Yes, that's a really small meal. I wanted to go easy on him since he's still healing, plus I'm worried about poop on his sutures!

He was looking for more after he finished that one. In a few days, I'll give him another.

He's such a good natured snake. Every time he sees me, I pry his mouth open and pour nasty tasting liquid into it. I wouldn't be so nice if I were him! He just takes his meds calmly like a good boy.
    Last edited by snakemama; 04-05-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Aww, what a handsome boy, and such a good snaky!
    I've Been Frosted