Thread: Teeth Cleaning

Hybrid View

Teeth Cleaning

Hello everyone! I did some post searching about the cost of having teeth cleaned and extracted and found a very good one but it was from back in 2007. My Dylan recently went in to our Air Force vet clinic for shots and checkup and the vet there showed me one of Dylan's front teeth that she felt needed to be removed. For procedures and illness, we have to take the kitties to our civilian vet so I did that the next day. She agreed that the one tooth was so damaged that it needed to be removed and she also recommended a cleaning and "root planing" of two other teeth that were just starting to look bad. The estimate she gave me was $386 and I am wondering how this compares to what some of you pay in different regions? It includes sedation, iv and fluids, antibiotic, pain medication and flurafoam. The extraction itself was only $20! The day of the appointment and estimate, they drew blood work that cost $125 - so separate from the surgery. The blood was a full geriatric panel and he has never had this before but I agreed to it since he is now at least 12 years old. Just wondering what the current costs are in 2014 and how they differ according to where we live - I am in small town Ohio. Thanks for your input!

Good to hear from you! That actually sounds pretty reasonable, considering everything they did. I have heard of it being almost double that around here, but that depends on what vet you see, etc.
    I've Been Frosted

I am also curious about how the kitties are after the procedure? Dylan has to come in at 7:30 and will stay there all afternoon for observation. Will he likely bleed the first day or so? Do they need special food for a few days? Mine all eat dry kibble but I wonder if Dylan will need a few days of soft food? The thought of him going under anesthesia really is scary to me but I also cannot imagine having these things done while awake! I also had no idea how bad that one tooth was - I peek at his gums and they always look healthy to me, but the one tooth is like a little stub that has rotted away
    On a happy note, the civilian vet just called me with news that his geriatric
    bloodwork all came back as perfectly normal and healthy

Thanks Karen - after going through old posts I have to agree with you that the estimate is very reasonable. This vet we are now using is known as being a bit pricy so I like to compare. Our long time vet of twenty years died and she took over his practice - so far I like her very much!

When I had Annie and Emma's teeth cleaned recently, it totaled over $2k for both of them - but they had FORL disease, which makes the procedure much more complicated.

Even with the complicated procedure and lots of extractions, they were both pretty comfortable and were back to eating crunchy food within a few days.

My RB Taz had a tooth (a canine tooth) removed and if I remember correctly it cost about $500. I'm pretty sure they did the blood panel as well before. So what you are being charged is good!

I also think Taz went back to eating regular food quickly. But the vet should tell you if he needs to be on soft food. You could also ask when you pick him up. But I'm thinking with just one extraction he should be fine.

Hope Dylan feels better soon. I think it was harder on me than it was on Taz.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Those costs are very reasonable for feline dental work. I am happy when my cat's dental bills are about $400...