Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teeth Cleaning

Teeth Cleaning

Hello everyone! I did some post searching about the cost of having teeth cleaned and extracted and found a very good one but it was from back in 2007. My Dylan recently went in to our Air Force vet clinic for shots and checkup and the vet there showed me one of Dylan's front teeth that she felt needed to be removed. For procedures and illness, we have to take the kitties to our civilian vet so I did that the next day. She agreed that the one tooth was so damaged that it needed to be removed and she also recommended a cleaning and "root planing" of two other teeth that were just starting to look bad. The estimate she gave me was $386 and I am wondering how this compares to what some of you pay in different regions? It includes sedation, iv and fluids, antibiotic, pain medication and flurafoam. The extraction itself was only $20! The day of the appointment and estimate, they drew blood work that cost $125 - so separate from the surgery. The blood was a full geriatric panel and he has never had this before but I agreed to it since he is now at least 12 years old. Just wondering what the current costs are in 2014 and how they differ according to where we live - I am in small town Ohio. Thanks for your input!

Good to hear from you! That actually sounds pretty reasonable, considering everything they did. I have heard of it being almost double that around here, but that depends on what vet you see, etc.
    I've Been Frosted

I am also curious about how the kitties are after the procedure? Dylan has to come in at 7:30 and will stay there all afternoon for observation. Will he likely bleed the first day or so? Do they need special food for a few days? Mine all eat dry kibble but I wonder if Dylan will need a few days of soft food? The thought of him going under anesthesia really is scary to me but I also cannot imagine having these things done while awake! I also had no idea how bad that one tooth was - I peek at his gums and they always look healthy to me, but the one tooth is like a little stub that has rotted away
    On a happy note, the civilian vet just called me with news that his geriatric
    bloodwork all came back as perfectly normal and healthy

Thanks Karen - after going through old posts I have to agree with you that the estimate is very reasonable. This vet we are now using is known as being a bit pricy so I like to compare. Our long time vet of twenty years died and she took over his practice - so far I like her very much!

When I had Annie and Emma's teeth cleaned recently, it totaled over $2k for both of them - but they had FORL disease, which makes the procedure much more complicated.

Even with the complicated procedure and lots of extractions, they were both pretty comfortable and were back to eating crunchy food within a few days.

My RB Taz had a tooth (a canine tooth) removed and if I remember correctly it cost about $500. I'm pretty sure they did the blood panel as well before. So what you are being charged is good!

I also think Taz went back to eating regular food quickly. But the vet should tell you if he needs to be on soft food. You could also ask when you pick him up. But I'm thinking with just one extraction he should be fine.

Hope Dylan feels better soon. I think it was harder on me than it was on Taz.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Those costs are very reasonable for feline dental work. I am happy when my cat's dental bills are about $400...

Those costs are quite low compared to what I pay here in RI. About HALF what I pay per cat.

Yes, the cat needs soft foods for at least 3 days after a dental -- longer with extractions. Chaplin had about 6 teeth out last year (can't recall exactly how may) and had to be on soft food for 2 weeks. So do get some in the house.

Cats should not be eating just dry kibble, anyway; this increases their chances of developing kidney disease as they age. Cats in the wild seldom drink water; they get all the fluids they need from their prey. As a result, our domesticated cats do not drink enough water from the water bowl. You must feed soft / wet / canned foods on a regular basis. I've had 4 cats develop CRF - chronic renal failure - due to feeding only dry kibble. I now give at least one meal daily of soft food. I also use baited water to get them to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I also use baited water to get them to drink.
    What a good idea, Sandie! What do you bait the water with?

Thanks,
    Pat (and cats, who do dip into the water bowls on occasion but could surely use more. They get wet food at least once a day.)
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

The quote yopu were given is very good, actually it sounds very close to what our vet charges for this kind of stuff. A few vets charge a lot more so needless to say I will stay with our vet for as long as she is practicing. She has such a large clientele and not just for her great prices but because of her caring, compassionate way with all the animals she treats.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Thank you I now feel good about what I am being charged. Have had no sort of surgery in so long I had no idea what costs might be Dylan also has a lump on his neck that has been there for about 5 years. It has been checked many times but never any suggestion to have it biopsied or removed, but this base vet offered to biopsy it. The next day, the vet who will do his dental offered to remove it while he is asleep and I am thinking this may be a good idea as I would like to have it gone anyway.(we are retired military and thus can have vaccinations and simple things taken care of at very low cost but need a civilian vet to handle any emergencies and illnesses) Our base vet finally biopsied the lump last week but it will take three weeks to find out the results as samples are sent out to a lab in Maryland. . I have to decide if I will have regular vet take it off next week or wait for biopsy results - though I think I would like it gone even if it shows to be benign you know? Surgery is scheduled for this coming Tuesday. Yes I am the one worried about the surgery!! Dylan is so mellow and trusting!! The civilian vet thought it would be good to remove it since he be under anesthesia anyway - just in case it would later turn out to be cancer. She told me that cats often have cancerous tumors - I did not know this though I did have one cat many years ago who died from a cancerous mass in his chest. So I just need to decide if I should go ahead with the surgery or wait a bit longer to know what the biopsy shows...

I will be sure to have some wet food on hand. I imagine Dylan would like that and it would be easier to eat. All of mine have always eaten dry kibble only because I am told it is better for their teeth though I know they love wet food as a fun treat They all drink lots of water as I keep two fountains flowing at all times. That said - we did lose a cat this past year, Eliot - to sudden renal failure. That is also what took our Ernie 11 years ago. I never knew renal failure could be due to dry only food!

How and what is used to "bait" water?
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 04-05-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed View Post
    The civilian vet thought it would be good to remove it since he be under anesthesia anyway - just in case it would later turn out to be cancer. She told me that cats often have cancerous tumors - I did not know this though I did have one cat many years ago who died from a cancerous mass in his chest. So I just need to decide if I should go ahead with the surgery or wait a bit longer to know what the biopsy shows...
    I would absolutely have it taken out, even if it turns out not to be cancerous, doing it while he is already knocked out will save him an extra round of anesthesia if it turns out to be cancerous, and there's no reason not to get rid of it!

I, myself, am on the "good riddance to bad parts" plan, and have never regretted it!
    I've Been Frosted

Ifhe is already going to be under, I would have the lump removed. It will save both you and him the anxiety (and cost) of having another surgery.

Dylan is having both surgeries right now! I will be so glad to go pick him up in about 5 hours!!

Aww, good luck with Sir Jury, Dylan!
    I've Been Frosted