6 Diseases Cats Can’t Transfer to You

It seems like there's always some new sensationalized horrific disease you can catch from your cat, but very few diseases can actually move between humans and felines, and the ones that can are caused by parasites. As far as viruses and bacteria go, though, you’re almost certainly safe from catching germs from your cat. Here are a few diseases and conditions you needn’t worry about when handling a cat.

1. A cold
The viruses that cause kitty colds are very specific to cats and cannot survive in the human body. Although certain flu bugs such as H1N1 can on rare occasions pass back and forth between cats and people, any type of “common cold” virus is not transmissible from cats to humans.

More from Catster Magazine: 6 Tips for Talking to Your Cat

2. AIDS
The feline immunodeficiency virus (sometimes referred to as “feline AIDS”) is not contagious to humans. Although it is related to the human immunodeficiency virus, it is species-specific and cannot in any way be spread from cats to humans. If you or someone you know is living with HIV, you might be glad to know that cats can’t catch HIV, either.

3. Mange
Although humans can get a skin infection called scabies — which, like mange, is caused by a mite — the types of mange mites you find on your cat cannot thrive on human skin. According to the Indiana University of Pennsylvania Health Service, feline mange mites may cause a mild itch that goes away quickly as the mites die off.

More from Catster Magazine: Your Cat’s Butt Is His Health Barometer

4. Leukemia
Feline leukemia is caused by a virus specific to cats and is not at all related to the human blood and bone marrow cancer known as leukemia. Although feline leukemia is known to cause cancer in cats, it does not cause cancer in humans. End of statement.

5. Hand-foot-and-mouth disease
Although hand-foot-and-mouth disease is highly contagious between people, it cannot be transmitted from animals to people. If your child comes back from a friend’s house with the disease, don’t blame the cat!

More from Catster Magazine: Should You Let Your Cat Roam Free Outdoors? Not if You Want Him to Have a Long Life

6. Ear mites
These nasty little pests make their home in waxy deposits in your cat’s ear canal. You might think that because we humans also have wax in our ear canals, the mites might spread to us if we sleep near an infected cat, but that’s not true. Ear mites are species-specific to dogs and cats and don’t thrive in human ears. Also, human ear canals are short and straight, while cats’ ear canals are L-shaped and may provide a warmer and moister environment for the mites.
Are there any feline illnesses you’d like to learn more about? Do you want to know if your cats can get germs from you? I really want to put my science nerd hat back on, so leave a comment telling me what you want to know and I’ll answer your questions.

Photo: Cat licking human finger by Shutterstock
Related
When Should Someone Let a Cat Go?
Is It OK to Sleep With Cats?
The Strangest Things Cats Have Dragged In

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/6-d...#ixzz2zdMbDJP4