Thread: Dog marking

Dog marking

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a 3 year old chihuahua. He's a male and still intact. He is scent marking my furniture and soft furnishings. Will castrating him stop this? I have read numerous articles, many have suggested because he is 3 years old it won't help. I am confused in what's best to do?

Getting him neutered will absolutely help. This is classic behavior of an intact male. Then, when he comes home, you have to retrain him that any pee belongs outside, it will take a bit of training, but once the hormones have finished clearing his body, he will be so much less compelled to mark everything that it will be much easier. Make sure you clean everywhere he has "marked" with a good enzymatic cleaner so nothing sys, "good spot to pee here" to his doggie nose, and that will also help!

It will also be better for his health in the long run, and for your sanity! Good luck!
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you, I will book him into the local vets to have him castrated. He has run off a few times so castrating will help that as well. A few sites have suggested it's pointless to castrate at the age of 3, he's set in his ways, even on the health side of things it's worth doing. He's an intelligent chappie and is responding well to commands and understands the word no. So with castration, training and bundles of patience we should get there. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Debby View Post
    Thank you, I will book him into the local vets to have him castrated. He has run off a few times so castrating will help that as well. A few sites have suggested it's pointless to castrate at the age of 3, he's set in his ways, even on the health side of things it's worth doing. He's an intelligent chappie and is responding well to commands and understands the word no. So with castration, training and bundles of patience we should get there. Thanks again.
    You're welcome! Keep us updated!
    I've Been Frosted

I agree with Karen, have the boy neutered.

Willy came to me at age 7.5 years; he was neutered when he was age 5. Willy still marks, and I have to keep a belly band on him when he is in the house. He is still healthier neutered.

Will do guys. I am off to London in 3 weeks, my daughters due my first grandchild, I am so happy! Soon as mum and baby are doing good, I will come back home and have Joejoe done.

Dog marking

You can search the training academy for your dog chihuahua. This training is very beneficial and also keeping your home clean.

Thank you