Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Things I Have Never Understood ... add yours

I don't understand why fast "distance" train travel isn't as widely available in the U.S. as it seems to be in Canada and Europe. I traveled by train from Chicago to Washington, D.C. It was crowded, noisy, and the train arrived late. Train service in other countries must be better than it is here.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I don't understand why fast "distance" train travel isn't as widely available in the U.S. as it seems to be in Canada and Europe. I traveled by train from Chicago to Washington, D.C. It was crowded, noisy, and the train arrived late. Train service in other countries must be better than it is here.
    Don't bet on it! I once was on a train from London to Glasgow that "took a nap" for a couple hours in the middle of nowhere - just stopped with no explanation and eventually resumed with no explanation! It was quite odd, and I finished the book I had brought with me on that one leg of the trip, when I had expected it to last for the ride back as well!
    I've Been Frosted

Shorter distances to travel, and in most European countries railroads were a prime target of both sides air forces during WW2. With all the destruction on the continent, they had a clean slate to engineer better railbeds. In addition, their economies were ruined by the war, so automobile travel didn't gain popularity until much later, by which time the railroads had been rehabbed and were in excellent shape.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    I'm with you completely on this one, Lut. Children learn from their parents' example how to deal with the outside world.

I've noticed that more often than not it's junk-food wrappers or cigarette butts or empty cigarette packs that are tossed out in public spaces. This makes me think that, since these people are okay about taking crap into their own bodies, they don't give a damn about throwing it out there for the rest of the world either.
    Exactly!! I hate this so much!!
    Hey, what would these people say when others throw all that stuff in their own frontyard???
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Brussels sprouts. They're like tiny cabbages. My whole family likes them, except for me.
    I used to love Brussels Sprouts - before I became horribly allergic to anything related to cabbage.

That's not to like? They are like a whole cabbage shrunk down to one little bite, the leaves are much more delicate and it's like popping a whole little world into your mouth!

It's funny you mention parallel parking, too! I grew up in a more suburban/rural area, where people had driveways and parking lots. I honestly thought, until I came to Boston for college, that "parallel parking" meant pulling straight into a parking space so you were parallel with the painted lines!

I did eventually learn how to do it, but when going out with one of my friends, she would spot a place barely longer than my car, and when I said, "I can't fit there!" she would literally make me stop the car, and stand by the side of the road while she parallel parked my car, usually in one smooth move!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    I'm with you completely on this one, Lut. Children learn from their parents' example how to deal with the outside world.

I've noticed that more often than not it's junk-food wrappers or cigarette butts or empty cigarette packs that are tossed out in public spaces. This makes me think that, since these people are okay about taking crap into their own bodies, they don't give a damn about throwing it out there for the rest of the world either.
    the city of Chicago took away a lot of the trash cans on the sidewalks when the NATO summit was here, with the rationale that they would be too easy a hiding place for an explosive. So now people leave their empty junk food wrappers and cigarette packs on the sidewalk, because the trash cans just aren't there. Yuk.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    the city of Chicago took away a lot of the trash cans on the sidewalks when the NATO summit was here, with the rationale that they would be too easy a hiding place for an explosive. So now people leave their empty junk food wrappers and cigarette packs on the sidewalk, because the trash cans just aren't there. Yuk.
    Then shame-shame-shame on the City of Chicago for not putting them back. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Marathons. If I need to go that far, I'm not going on foot!
    I could never understand this one until I started to distance run. Even when I was 5-10km runner, marathoners seemed nuts to me. I've done several half marathons in the last year, with four more scheduled for this summer, and am training for my first full marathon this fall. I have found that runners are some of the most non-judgemental, supportive people I've ever met. I have a co-worker who runs ultramarathons(he's training for a 100km race right now). I still think he's a little nutty!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

So why DIDN'T they put them back when the summit was over? How long ago was that?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Jimmy Gehton and Anita Hava?

I have heard of these two louts for years and have a real short tolerance for these manner-less buffoons.

Anita Hava was in line with me yesterday.

---------------------

Years ago a bunch of us neighborhood kids were comparing notes about stupid stuff when the topic of 'rude people' came up - one of the guys worked in a fastfood place and said that he hated the people that would come in and place their order by saying, "Let me get on a burger, fries and a soda...." No please or thank you. They soon became "Jimmy Gehton".

Anita Hava (I need to have a........) is another example of this kind of mannerless interaction with people who work in the service industry. I have been told that I am 'too nice' when I deal with clerks, cashiers, sales associates - But isn't that part of doing business with people?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    people that would come in and place their order by saying, "Let me get on a burger, fries and a soda...." No please or thank you. They soon became "Jimmy Gehton".

People would really "'get on' a burger"? Never heard that expression - I don't want to be on my burger, it would get squished! Is that a California thing?
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I don't understand why many beautiful places do not have underground utilities.
    I watch those home and garden shows sometimes and the people will rave about the "million dollar view" and all I can see are all the power lines.
    Yes, I know it would be expensive to redo old, established places. But, I'm so thankful that I've mostly lived in places with underground utilities.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    I don't understand why many beautiful places do not have underground utilities.
    I watch those home and garden shows sometimes and the people will rave about the "million dollar view" and all I can see are all the power lines.
    Yes, I know it would be expensive to redo old, established places. But, I'm so thankful that I've mostly lived in places with underground utilities.
    Shifting ground, high water table, and old cities and towns - I have always lived places with above-ground lines!
    I've Been Frosted