Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things I Have Never Understood ... add yours

Things I Have Never Understood ... add yours

Hot Tubs - Every once in a while I see a hot tub in some TV show - I have never understood the appeal of one, just seems terribly unsanitary, like sharing a bathtub with everyone - knowing how readily germs and bacteria breed in warm, damp places, just seems like a bad idea to me! And I have a healthy immune system! Never mind of course all the deaths staged around them on TV shows.

Escargot as food - sure if you drown anything in garlic and butter enough it'll taste good, but why snails? I like snails at the beach, think their shells are lovely when I find discarded ones, but don't feel any desire to eat them. And I am an adventurous eater - before I developed food allergies, I have eaten frogs' legs, jellyfish, caviar and all sorts of other stuff.

Fois Gras - knowing how it is produced just makes it unappetizing - never mind it is expensive, and "traditional"

Tans - either fake or real, for cosmetic's sake. I have no issue with people who get them by working outdoors, or who are born with naturally tan skin. But dark tans on some people just make me think "that poor skin" and think the person will be really wrinkled at an early age, unless they die of skin cancer! (No I am not jealous, even though I am pale and do not tan - I burn, I feel bad for them! I am jealous of people's ability to be out in the sun without worry of burning, but that's separate.)

How about you? What things do you find uninteresting that pop culture touts as desirable ... besides certain celebrities, that is!
    I've Been Frosted

Brussels sprouts. They're like tiny cabbages. My whole family likes them, except for me.
    Marathons. If I need to go that far, I'm not going on foot!
    Parallel parking. I still stink at it after many years.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Smart phones: Okay - I know the majority out there will seriously disagree with me, but..............I don't have one and have no desire to ever own one.

Is it necessary to carry a mini computer with you wherever you go? Do you really need it to take pictures with??? - isn't that what cameras are for? Must you have this phone to your ear while you are walking down a crowded sidewalk, making your way thru the mall, and shopping at the grocery store??? Is the conversation that you are involved in really that important that you couldn't wait till you got home? Must you talk/text and drive - even tho it's illegal in most states now? And I could go on and on, but frankly, I'm not even aware of all that these phones can do.

Yes - I have a cell phone, but it's not all that smart ! It has a camera which I have used on occasion, browsing capabilities which I have never used, and some other features also. I purchased it to use as a PHONE, and I do text on occasion, and the only reason I bought it in the first place, was to have in an emergency when I was away from home. I will not answer if someone calls me and I am driving, unless I have the bluetooth activated, and I just utilized this capability when I was driving to and from NC - never use it for local driving.

Think back - you managed before the smart phone, so why can't you now?? Does anyone remember the now obsolete phone booth?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Smart phones: Okay - I know the majority out there will seriously disagree with me, but..............I don't have one and have no desire to ever own one.

Is it necessary to carry a mini computer with you wherever you go? Do you really need it to take pictures with??? - isn't that what cameras are for? Must you have this phone to your ear while you are walking down a crowded sidewalk, making your way thru the mall, and shopping at the grocery store??? Is the conversation that you are involved in really that important that you couldn't wait till you got home? Must you talk/text and drive - even tho it's illegal in most states now? And I could go on and on, but frankly, I'm not even aware of all that these phones can do.

Yes - I have a cell phone, but it's not all that smart ! It has a camera which I have used on occasion, browsing capabilities which I have never used, and some other features also. I purchased it to use as a PHONE, and I do text on occasion, and the only reason I bought it in the first place, was to have in an emergency when I was away from home. I will not answer if someone calls me and I am driving, unless I have the bluetooth activated, and I just utilized this capability when I was driving to and from NC - never use it for local driving.

Think back - you managed before the smart phone, so why can't you now?? Does anyone remember the now obsolete phone booth?
    I understand what you mean about phones and always being "connected". However, I feel lost without mine.
    Also, just a few weeks after my parents bought me my first cell phone (back before smart phones) I got a flat tire out in the country at 1am. Came in very handy to call dad to come help me.

One thing I do not understand is a couple of TV shows. The first is/was Sister Wives and now My Five Wives. I just think it is ridiculous to show this on TV!!! I have never watched an episode and try to fast forward through the commercials. I don't want to watch a family that has multiple wives. UGH!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

People's obsession with tv, especially cooking & home renovation shows :/.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I went to Walgreen's the other day and was ready to check out. I was behind these two oafs - a man and woman - who were dressed like walking billboards for the local university. The man was on his phone talking about 'energy efficient windows' and gesticulating like a windmill with one vane missing. The woman was pushing a cart looking at her phone. I wanted to scoot around them but had to wait, so I just took my time.

When they got to the register, the woman looked over her shoulder and shot me a dirty look as if to say, "Why are you following us?" I smiled and she went to unloading e basket. The guy stopped and went on with his convo and the woman, got everything onto the counter and went back to looking at her phone, she made only stopped to get her charge card out and to sign the slip. All the while, she was thumbing her phone like a maniac....I don't think she looked up at the cashier once.

Now, I know that there are people that will defend their ownership of their 'smart phones' but as with any tech, The phone is only as smart and useful as the person using it.

--------------------

Hot tubs are only good if you own one - you know who has been in it and what has been going on inside. Of course, you could live near the woods and then, all bets are off.
    ----------

My entertainment is seeing kids wearing the 'coolest' clothes - you know the kind, WITH THE HUGE LOGO/SLOGAN on the front. (and what is it with the North Face logo on the back of the jackets?)

The nike stuff reminds me of the line in my favorite song....
    "The ad on TV says "Just do it", Hell if I know what that means."

I get the sunday paper and look at the sporting good ads and laugh. 25 dollars for a tee? I can get the same shirt, sans the free advertising, at target for 8 bucks. (I pay extra for the taller sizes). I am so glad that I never had the desire to feel like I needed to buy a pair of earth shoes, Members Only or Sergio Valenti jeans .......

Quote Originally Posted by cloverfdx View Post
    People's obsession with tv, especially cooking & home renovation shows :/.

I saw a program where a couple bought a home in El Lay as a rental and vacation property. The home was on stilts, on a mountain side and surrounded with chapparal/brush and bushes.

Fires, earthquakes and mudslides? They then went 20,000 dollars over budget. 750 dollars for a shower head and another 750 for faucets?

It's all about people long on money and short on brains.

------------

Cooking shows lost me a while back when they started to demand Pink Himalayan Salt blocks to cook on and that special cheese that comes from cows that eat from the pastures --with the special grass sown by chanting monks during a full moon and then milked during an eclipse when all the planets are in conjunction....
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Oh come on now Richard....aren't you still just a wee bit smitten with Nigella?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Oh come on now Richard....aren't you still just a wee bit smitten with Nigella?
    LOL, Helen Mirren shares my heart with NL.....It's crowded in there!

Smart phones:
    Before the smartphone, I got lost ALL the time. At least once a month I would be driving somewhere new and suddenly be lost. I have spent over 30 minutes trying to get home from somewhere less than two miles away. I am apparently an idiot with directions, despite having lived in he same city for most of my life.

I know I could get a GPS (and I do own one now, it was a birthday gift) but I had a hard time spending that kind of money on something that only does one task. Now I can tell my phone to take me home, and voila!

I don't NEED my phone by any means. I use less than an hour a month of actual phone time, and around 100 messages. But I do so love not being lost anymore!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I understand what you mean about phones and always being "connected". However, I feel lost without mine.
    Also, just a few weeks after my parents bought me my first cell phone (back before smart phones) I got a flat tire out in the country at 1am. Came in very handy to call dad to come help me.
    Yes Cindy - I do agree that cell phones are almost a necessity these days, and I too have one. My post was directed to the smart phone and the obsession that most of the population has with these mini computers. A "phone" is supposed to be a "phone" - right???

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I went to Walgreen's the other day and was ready to check out. I was behind these two oafs - a man and woman - who were dressed like walking billboards for the local university. The man was on his phone talking about 'energy efficient windows' and gesticulating like a windmill with one vane missing. The woman was pushing a cart looking at her phone. I wanted to scoot around them but had to wait, so I just took my time.

When they got to the register, the woman looked over her shoulder and shot me a dirty look as if to say, "Why are you following us?" I smiled and she went to unloading e basket. The guy stopped and went on with his convo and the woman, got everything onto the counter and went back to looking at her phone, she made only stopped to get her charge card out and to sign the slip. All the while, she was thumbing her phone like a maniac....I don't think she looked up at the cashier once.
    RICHARD - you nailed it my friend - one of my points about smart phones and (smart???) people expressed in the "RICHARD humor" version.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

- I never understood why people throw dirt on the ground when there is a wast bin not far away...
    Is it laziness, or just plain stupidity?? I really don't get that, and it sometimes makes me very angry...
    When I see an adult doing this, I don't react; but when I see a child doing this, I go ask her/him "don't you have a bin at home?"
    Usually the child looks at me with an dumb look......

I now for sure (100%) that my kids who are adults now, never did this as a child, and never does it as an adult!!
    Why don't parents teach this anymore to their kids???

- Why do some people never respect a waiting line of people and walk straight to the counter buy tickets or so?

- Why people pic up their phone and start talking loudly, no matter where they are, like in a shop, on a bus, in a wiring room at the doctor, etc....?? Don't they get it that this is disturbing for other people???
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy View Post
    - I never understood why people throw dirt on the ground when there is a wast bin not far away...
    Is it laziness, or just plain stupidity?? I really don't get that, and it sometimes makes me very angry...
    When I see an adult doing this, I don't react; but when I see a child doing this, I go ask her/him "don't you have a bin at home?"
    Usually the child looks at me with an dumb look......

I now for sure (100%) that my kids who are adults now, never did this as a child, and never does it as an adult!!
    Why don't parents teach this anymore to their kids???

- Why do some people never respect a waiting line of people and walk straight to the counter buy tickets or so?

- Why people pic up their phone and start talking loudly, no matter where they are, like in a shop, on a bus, in a wiring room at the doctor, etc....?? Don't they get it that this is disturbing for other people???
    I have put in some time in the doctor's waiting room and this is how it goes.....

Ring, ring. (or some obnoxious music...)

Hello?
    I'm at the doctor.
    Yes, No, I have been here since one.
    No, they have called everyone except me, this is BS.

(Now, this is happening in a full room and the person on the phone is talking quite loudly?)

Yes, well I have my knee, it hurts and it's swollen. I called to make an appointment and I'm here.
    I hate this, it's stupid, they should get a system in here that works....
    Oh, goodbye.

(the phone rings again, an even more obnoxious tune?)

Hello?
    I AM AT THE DOCTOR.
    WHAT? TELL HIM TO GET OFF OF IT.
    NO, TELL HIM I AM GOING TO BEAT HIM WHEN I GET HOME.
    PUT HIM ON THE PHONE, NOW!
    IF I HAVE TO COME HOME....NO, YOU BETTER BEHAVE!

Ugh.

-----------------

The other bugaboo I have about phones is when you are talking to someone and their phone rings.
    They act as if it's the president or prime minister calling. They start to go spastic trying to get their phone out to answer the call.

They then proceed to turn around and walk away from you to finish their call.

OR?

You call someone and they put you on hold to take a call. Isn't that what v-mail is for?

---------

I own a cell phone and I check it about once a week. The only time I do carry it on my person is......NEVER.
    If you want to talk to me, call the hard line phone number, I will pick it up. Otherwise leave a message because the person you have called is currently unavailable?

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Call waiting!

When YOU called ME and we're having a nice chat and you get another call and want me to wait, I say NO and hang-up.

Unless you are a doctor on call for an organ transplant.....
    Unless you are the President and there is a world crisis you need to weigh in on.....

The person calling you can wait and we should continue our conversation.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I'm with you there, RICHARD: You're talking with someone on the phone, and their call-waiting signals another call is coming in.. and they put you on hold to take it. They're in effect telling you: "Pardon me while I see if there's someone I'd rather talk to than you on the other line."
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery