Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Laptop, Notebook, or Tower?

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Sounds like I need a tower shrunk down into a lap top. The games I play are more on the line of candy crusher and solitair and the like. None of the big shoot em and run around things so maybe a laptop would be ok. I'd sure love to not be tied to having to sit in this uncomfortable office chair. It's the one I spent 20 years in when I worked. My back needs a break.
    Browser-based games aren't what I was referring to, really; I meant moreso games that require large amounts of RAM or CPU usage, like World or Warcraft or other similar games

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    If you like the mobility, I think a laptop would work well for you. I still have my Dell desktop and it's old like yours, and as soon as I transfer all of my pictures, my son is going to strip the hard drive and reinstall only what's needed. With my grandkids using the Dell of mine when they were younger, I don't even know how much crap is on there that I'm not aware of. I know it's as slow as a snail tho...

I just bought myself a Toshiba 15.6" laptop a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. It's a Satellite C55D-A5120. This one runs $328 at Walmart, tho I got another 10% off of that, so the price was right. It runs on Windows 8 and the Dell is on XP. I'm still learning my way around 8, but it's not difficult at all. Most of the time I use a wireless mouse with it, since it's faster and easier for me - especially with these hands that don't work well anymore. I bought it with the idea that I could use it anywhere, but find myself putting it on the desk and using it that way, more often than not. As far as the battery goes - as long as you're near a power source, you can just plug it in and use it that way, and I have yet to run mine on just battery power alone. And much to my own surprise - I haven't used it in bed yet, either!

I don't like notepads or notebooks, etc - they are too small, and I don't like swipe or touch screens either, so the laptop was the best option for me. You can get smaller laptops than the one I have - originally I was looking at 14" ones, but then I spotted this one, and really liked it a whole lot better than others I had been considering. I had my son check it out, and he said it was a good price and had everything on it that I would ever need, so I bought.

As far as routers being hacked in to - I don't know if it's possible, but all of the computers in this house (6 now) utilize the router and have for at least the past 8 years or so, and there has never been a problem. That would be a question for someone that knows computers a whole lot better than I do. I'd ask my son, but he's at work now.

Good luck with your shopping.
    I've been checking out this laptop. It looks good to me too. I like that is has a dvd drive too. It got mostly good reviews too.

I talked to my cable people because they are my internet providers too. He said the router they will install will have a password that only the co and I will have. I'll probably do like you do and plug it in most of the time but sure will be nice to be able to sit in my comfy chair instead of my office chair. Just hope they still have it in a couple of months when I can get it.
    NOTE: it actually has a bigger hard drive than my tower. Go figure!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I've been checking out this laptop. It looks good to me too. I like that is has a dvd drive too. It got mostly good reviews too.

I talked to my cable people because they are my internet providers too. He said the router they will install will have a password that only the co and I will have. I'll probably do like you do and plug it in most of the time but sure will be nice to be able to sit in my comfy chair instead of my office chair. Just hope they still have it in a couple of months when I can get it.
    NOTE: it actually has a bigger hard drive than my tower. Go figure!!!
    Yes - I'm quite satisfied with this one - it has everything I need. And I noticed something - it doesn't get hot like most do - just barely lukewarm, and only if I
    have been using it continually for an extended period of time. I'm certain that Walmart will be carrying these for quite a while. When my son and I were in the store looking at them, they were out of stock on this one. It was a new model for them and they hadn't even gotten their initial shipment in yet - just had the demo model. When you're ready to get yours, if they don't have it in stock at your store, you can always order it on line and have it shipped right to your house. You've already taken it for a "test drive" in the store, so you know what you're getting. This is what I did - and I had it 3 days after I ordered it.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I was able to get a small loan and got it today!!! The cable guy will come Monday morning to hook it up. Now if I can just stop being afraid to take it out of the box!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I was able to get a small loan and got it today!!! The cable guy will come Monday morning to hook it up. Now if I can just stop being afraid to take it out of the box!!!
    Congrats - that's great! I'm pretty certain that you'll like it - I haven't found anything yet that I don't like about mine.

Now go open the box.............................
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~