Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Laptop, Notebook, or Tower?

Help! Laptop, Notebook, or Tower?

Looks like I'll need to be getting a new computer in the near future. My old Dell works great but is 8 and a half years old. It has the old xp operating system. I can not update it any more.

I was thinking of a laptop or notebook but know nothing about them. I want a computer that will last and like having a computer mouse and key board. Touch screens would drive me bonkers I'd think because of all the fingerprints on the screen.

Can't beat the Dell tower for the durability but a laptop or notebook would be nice so I could go into the bedroom on days I don't want to get out of bed and still get on the Net. But would that incourage me to stay in bed which is not so good for me? Also, I'm not sure how secure computers using a router are. Can people hack into the routers?

Plus, I have no where to take a laptop/notebook if the battery needed replaced so am concerned about how long they would last.

Mostly I just use my computer for pictures and email and connecting to the world now. Cost is a big issue for me too.

So, please tell me what you use and do you like it and why. I know very little about the laptops/notebooks. Thanks
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    If you like the mobility, I think a laptop would work well for you. I still have my Dell desktop and it's old like yours, and as soon as I transfer all of my pictures, my son is going to strip the hard drive and reinstall only what's needed. With my grandkids using the Dell of mine when they were younger, I don't even know how much crap is on there that I'm not aware of. I know it's as slow as a snail tho...

I just bought myself a Toshiba 15.6" laptop a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. It's a Satellite C55D-A5120. This one runs $328 at Walmart, tho I got another 10% off of that, so the price was right. It runs on Windows 8 and the Dell is on XP. I'm still learning my way around 8, but it's not difficult at all. Most of the time I use a wireless mouse with it, since it's faster and easier for me - especially with these hands that don't work well anymore. I bought it with the idea that I could use it anywhere, but find myself putting it on the desk and using it that way, more often than not. As far as the battery goes - as long as you're near a power source, you can just plug it in and use it that way, and I have yet to run mine on just battery power alone. And much to my own surprise - I haven't used it in bed yet, either!

I don't like notepads or notebooks, etc - they are too small, and I don't like swipe or touch screens either, so the laptop was the best option for me. You can get smaller laptops than the one I have - originally I was looking at 14" ones, but then I spotted this one, and really liked it a whole lot better than others I had been considering. I had my son check it out, and he said it was a good price and had everything on it that I would ever need, so I bought.

As far as routers being hacked in to - I don't know if it's possible, but all of the computers in this house (6 now) utilize the router and have for at least the past 8 years or so, and there has never been a problem. That would be a question for someone that knows computers a whole lot better than I do. I'd ask my son, but he's at work now.

Good luck with your shopping.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    I was thinking of a laptop or notebook but know nothing about them. I want a computer that will last
    Computers are really only good for 3 years, TOPS. Built in obsolesence. (Thank you, Microsoft). You will find a HUGE improvement, no matter what you buy now, over an 8 year old system.

I have a tower and a laptop. I keep all the important stuff on the laptop, and I never access my bank account from the laptop; all my online banking is done on the tower, which is hard wired. My laptop is set up next to my recliner, connects via wifi, and this is what I use most of the time. I have it plugged in all the time, the battery is always charged. I unplug it now and then to let the battery power down, then plug it in again.

I suggest you go to the library and look at Consumer Reports for ratings. This will also help you develop the list of things you WANT to have. You can also make a list of stuff you don't care about. For me, screen size is important, even on the laptop I have a wide screen. I want to SEE what I am doing online, lol.

I have always purchased all my computers at Staples over the years, I always seem to find the best deal there. I'll look at them at Best Buy, and ask questions (after I've spent time with Consumer Reports) but in the end, I like the Staples deals best. I have never purchased a computer online, I always see what I am getting and carry it home with me.

Routers have security and it is rare that anyone accesses your computer that way. I also suggest you get the router from your ISP. Each time I have had to set up a router myself, FAIL. Done it 3 times now (don't know why I even tried, the 3rd time!). Most ISPs offer the router and set it all up for you, security key and so on. I know Cox does, and I know Verizon FIOS does. I think Comcast has started now, as well. With FIOS, the router is combined with the basic unit, it is not a separate unit, so there is no extra fee on your bill for the router.

I've almost always had HP (Hewlett Packard) computers and laptops. I had Compaq before they were bought out by HP. I have never used any others; and I'll tell you, Dell does NOT have a good reputation, not at all, so don't be surprised when you read that in Consumer Reports. I suspect that your light usage is why is has been a good one for you.

That helps a lot. I've never even used a laptop so have nothing to compare too. I need a mouse too because of my arthritis in my hands. Plus I do love to play games on the net. A mouse is a must for that in my opinion.

What I was thinking was to get a laptop as soon as I can because my big computer still works. I could use my big computer to put my pictures on for now. I have an external hard drive attatched to it too that I put them on so all I would need do is unplug it and put it on a different tower later if I want too.

I got the router security info from my brother. He said his got hacked. He got a letter from his carrier saying that he had downloaded some copywrited movies and he would have his service ternimated if he did it again. He never downloaded any movies he says. Anyway, he had to somehow set his router up with a password to make it more secure.

My internet provider is my cable co. They would have to come add a router and hook it up for me.

What I would really like to do, is get a laptop for now and a new tower later. I have a new monitor and my keyboard and mouse are wireless so would not need new ones for a new tower.

I'm hoping to be able to get something in the fall when the back to school sales come out.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Just to add to this thread, no matter what I would buy, there is only Win. 8 on it. I would want 7, never Vista or 8. The only thing is everything you buy today has 8.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

You definitely need to be able to try out any laptop before you buy it, because of your arthritis in particular. I would get to a Best Buy or somewhere with a lot of different models to try to see what is most comfortable for you!
    I've Been Frosted

I got the router security info from my brother. He said his got hacked. He got a letter from his carrier saying that he had downloaded some copywrited movies and he would have his service ternimated if he did it again. He never downloaded any movies he says. Anyway, he had to somehow set his router up with a password to make it more secure.
    Well, I'm sorry, but that is his own fault. I would NEVER run a router with no security key! Anyone in range can hook in to an open router. That is just basic router info IMO. But then, if he had the ISP set it up, THEY would have set it with security. So, as I said, have them do it, don't go buy a router yourself.

What I was thinking was to get a laptop as soon as I can because my big computer still works. I could use my big computer to put my pictures on for now. I have an external hard drive attatched to it too that I put them on so all I would need do is unplug it and put it on a different tower later if I want too.
    This will be a problem. Once you open any file in the NEW computer OS (in this discussion Windows 8), most likely you will never be able to open it in the old system again. I'm not positive if this is true for photos; but it sure is for everything else! This is why I always make sure my laptop and tower are on the same OS.

I'm hoping to be able to get something in the fall when the back to school sales come out.
    Excellent!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Well, I'm sorry, but that is his own fault. I would NEVER run a router with no security key! Anyone in range can hook in to an open router. That is just basic router info IMO. But then, if he had the ISP set it up, THEY would have set it with security. So, as I said, have them do it, don't go buy a router yourself.
    My son set up the one here. I asked him if it could be hacked, and he said it has a password and encrypted, and as I mentioned earlier, there has never been a problem. A hacker might be able to get in, but it is highly unlikely they could decipher any of the info. I just take his word for it - he's the guru and I'm the techno-challenged!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I've never had a laptop and don't really want one, except perhaps a Mac. One thing you need to ask about, is whether the laptop gets hot, unless you want to keep it on your desk - I've heard people complain about almost burning themselves a few times.

A router is quite easy to set up. Don't you normally get one from your ISP? If you get a router, you can access WIFI and as far as I know, you can set it so no one else can get in. Most people in our building do that.

Like you, I would definitely go for one with a good keyboard and mouse, but do read reviews!

Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

A laptop will be able to have a mouse attached to it, just like a tower computer. Also, you can get laptops with larger screens these days.

Windows 8 is fine if you download the free Start Menu from the internet. Then it looks like Vista or Windows 7 and is less confusing.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    A laptop will be able to have a mouse attached to it, just like a tower computer. Also, you can get laptops with larger screens these days.

Windows 8 is fine if you download the free Start Menu from the internet. Then it looks like Vista or Windows 7 and is less confusing.
    Yes, I bought a mouse for my laptop, just plugs in, very easy.

That is good to know re Win8, thanks!

For mobility, I recommend a notebook or laptop.

If your primary use is browsing the internet with no gaming or the like, you may consider getting a notebook.

If you will be using the computer for more than just browsing the internet, like gaming, I strongly recommend getting a PC/tower.

If you want to be able to upgrade the computer at a later date, get a tower.

Honestly... it is all about your personal preference and what you will be doing with it.

facebook

Beware the laptop......if running and top is closed, the warmth makes for a nice kitty bed. Ha!

Back in December of 2011 I went to a small business shop not far from me. I always prefer to deal with small businesses because, in my experience anyway, you get more bang for the buck. This particular computer shop only purchases laptops from businesses who upgrade. He strips them down and reloads the basics. Aside from a few annoyances with flash and shockwave (due to the fact I'm using Chrome) it's been wonderful. I have wireless and as long as there is a password (should be a complex one) on it, you should be fine, somewhat, although nothing is 100% guaranteed. I love the fact I can take it out on the deck during the summer or sit in front of the TV with it. The screen is only 15 inches and I find that too small so I have a 19" flat screen monitor that I use. I also have a regular keyboard and mouse attached as well. The laptop came with Windows 7 and Office 2007 and both work fine for me. I don't need anything elaborate.

I also recently purchased, for $60, a wireless printer because Yodee peed all over my other one. The print quality is not "business-like" but it works for me and set up was extremely easy so I can print from my deck as well.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Sounds like I need a tower shrunk down into a lap top. The games I play are more on the line of candy crusher and solitair and the like. None of the big shoot em and run around things so maybe a laptop would be ok. I'd sure love to not be tied to having to sit in this uncomfortable office chair. It's the one I spent 20 years in when I worked. My back needs a break.

I went to Walmart and one of their people let me play around with some of the computers they had as demos. There was a nice HP for 300. Probably want one a bit bigger. The clerk could not tell me the size of the hard drive or how much ram it had though. It did have a touch screen but she pointed out you could use the keyboard or mouse and only the touch feature for a back up.

I have a flat screen tv. I discovered I can hook a laptop up to it if I want. So much technology ... so few brain cells left.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie