Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renavast ~ Kidney health for dogs and cats

Raw Food and CRF

Mindy: I'm glad I didn't need glasses to read that RenAvast label. What ingredients LOL!! I've been watching some post and noticed some have mentioned a raw diet. Any thoughts? Little Joe is on Azodyl and RenAvast and is taking both well without any hesitation. LJ can have loose stools if I change his diet. So far the Azodyl and RenAvast have not impacted that. If a raw diet is better, I'd be willing to try it. Some blogger was bashing a raw diet as some holistic nonsense. It just seems like another form of food to me. Any experience out there?

Lots of people here do feed "raw," as with any diet, there are good and bad versions, but paying attention to what is in the food is important. Making sure the cat gets the proper nutrients is vital. Cats do NOT need grain, for example, as they are obligate carnivores, but they do need taurine and other vitamins, so it is important to do the research.
    I've Been Frosted

RENAVAST and food

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Lots of people here do feed "raw," as with any diet, there are good and bad versions, but paying attention to what is in the food is important. Making sure the cat gets the proper nutrients is vital. Cats do NOT need grain, for example, as they are obligate carnivores, but they do need taurine and other vitamins, so it is important to do the research.
    Yes, Karen is right. I feed all wet food and no dry food. The good news is that RenAvast increases cats and dogs appetites which is so important with CRF (Chronic Renal failure). But most important with CRF cats is that they are eating...not what they eat. I know that before I started RenAvast it was hit and miss with them eating. Now they eat like crazy!!! I am so thankful to RenAvast for this because it is so stressful when your baby won't eat!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanmarie View Post
    Yes, Karen is right. I feed all wet food and no dry food. The good news is that RenAvast increases cats and dogs appetites which is so important with CRF (Chronic Renal failure). But most important with CRF cats is that they are eating...not what they eat. I know that before I started RenAvast it was hit and miss with them eating. Now they eat like crazy!!! I am so thankful to RenAvast for this because it is so stressful when your baby won't eat!
    I am so glad it is helping your kitties - and your own stress level as well!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanmarie View Post
    Well...my baby had a check up and the creatinine has gone from 3.3 to 3.0!!!! Needless to say I am ONE HAPPY CAT MAMA!!! I need to go on the RenAvast facebook page and tell them how happy I am and go on some of the other blog sites so other cats can do as well as my baby is doing. By the way joe...that site has bashed almost every great product my vet has suggested. My vet said that most vets believe that site is somehow linked to a big phrama company that is trying to kill any good product except for theirs. I think if anyone has questions about RenAvast they should go to www.reanavast.com and email their customer service department. That is what I did when I had a question and they were great about getting back to me.
    That is so great!!!! I'm happy for you and your baby!

Mindy: As they say, "Go Big or Just Go Home" LOL!. RenAvast for elephants perhaps?

My vet was just telling me that so many times vet with cats and dogs with kidney failure don't look at other conditions that can complicate the situation (such as hyperthyroidism and heart disease). Everyone should be sure to not only check CRF values such as creatinine and BUN but check thyroid (T4) level and have blood pressure checked. RenAvast is a great product but it can't help other disease that can harm your cat or dog. I have the most AMAZING vet!

I agree that there's no substitute for great veterinary care. So many of the cats with kidney disease are older cats. There could be a number of issues to deal with. And although you can obtain Renavast without a prescription, it takes a good vet to properly examine and diagnose everything that's going on with Kitty!

Try raw.....

Hi,

I had a cat with bladder/kidney problems as well.... She was at the point that she was ready to be put down. So what i did was start making her raw food as a last ditch effort....

I got my recipe from http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html

I used the "Recipe WITHOUT Real Bones" as I did not have a grinder at the time. I also added Cranberry capsules in it that I got at the health food store. She thrived on this recipe and lived. In one week, she gained weight, was slick and shiny and back to her old self. I have never seen a turn-a-round health-wise like this. It's not cheap, but it saved her life.

Whenever my cats get under the weather, we go back to raw.

Jenn

p.s. I also added extra taurine..

I had not heard of Renavast before this thread.

Since then, I have shared about it on FB with 3 folks whose bichons have developed renal issues with age. All 3 checked with their vet, all 3 are now using it (as well as the azodyl) and are seeing improvements or (in one case) a hold on the numbers.

So thank you for sharing this info!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    It really seems to have stabilized Cammie. The vet predicted that she wouldn't make it until Christmas 2013. But, she is still enjoying life. At 20+ she is doing amazingly well. Her kidney function has not improved -- but it hasn't declined further.

She hasn't been able to gain any weight back and she looks kinda scruffy but give that girl a whiff of catnip and she rolls around like a kitten again.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

That is nice to learn the update on Cammie.