Thread: Those who have XP Windows as OS...

Those who have XP Windows as OS...

Those of you with XP Windows as your operating system, what are you going to do after April 9th when XP will no longer be secure. I cannot afford another computer and don't know what I'm going to do. I will check with my Norton security and see what they have to say about all this, anybody else concerned about this.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

It looks as if a Linux OS would be a solution that runs even on older machines that would not have enough memory for newer Windows versions...but I sure cannot be of any more help in this questions.

The general consensus seems to be that as long as you keep your security (anti-virus) up to date then there shouldn't be any immediate problems. I tell my clients they have a few months to a year.

A more inexpensive solution might be to see if your computer can run Windows 7. Purchasing the Win 7 program is around $120 for the basic one around here. Note: You will have to back up all your files before reinstall, and find out what the product key is for your version of Microsoft Office. There is a great free office program called LibreOffice: https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

Here is the Upgrade Advisor: http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/downl...ils.aspx?id=20

Here are some articles on Norton and XP:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...rProfile_en_us

http://www.wpcentral.com/security-es...s-ending-april
    You will still be able to obtain security solutions from companies including Norton, AVG, Trend Micro, and Kaspersky. It will depend on the exact company, but some are promising to continue providing support as late as 2019.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I do have Norton as my security and have had them since I purchased my computer in 2006 so it's pretty old. Norton security came with the computer and I've never, ever had a problem. I am going to call Norton and find out how they can protect me.

I do have my files backed up, I have something called 'click free' and each month it reminds me to back everything up so I think I'm safe there. Thanks for your info.

"I've been frosted."

First I've even heard of this. I have AVG so will just have to pray it still works. Can not afford a new computer and mine is so old, I can't update it any longer.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

XP losing Miscrosquash support will actually mean little to those running it on their home systems. Your house system isn't a target for hackers, and XP itself is fairly stable and secure. Keeping your A/V software active and up to date usually does more for your security than Microsquash's updates.

The main issue will be for those still running XP as a corporate O/S.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    XP losing Miscrosquash support will actually mean little to those running it on their home systems. Your house system isn't a target for hackers, and XP itself is fairly stable and secure. Keeping your A/V software active and up to date usually does more for your security than Microsquash's updates.

Like every hospital and clinic etc in our province-wide health system....
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

I sure hope you're right. I'm not computer savvy and everything little change scares me altho this is the biggest one I've come across. I'll keep my Norton updated as I always have and hope for the best.

"I've been frosted."

I wouldnt trust XP after 04/08/14 even with anti virus companies continuing their updates, but Im kinda paranoid or security conscious. That and I dont trust Windows.

My mom already has Vista on one laptop and 7 on 2 others and her desktop. I would actually trust my mom with XP but not my stepdad. My stepdad is a clicker, if you send him a link he will click it. If you practice safe online practices you should be alright, but that is no guarantee.

My stepdad is in Hawaii right now with a laptop loaded with Linux Mint, if he makes it through the vacation successfully I will load it, or Ubuntu, on his desktop.

Any zero day exploit patched for Vista on up will be unpatched for XP.

If you need Windows for Quickbooks, or other Windows only software, Upgrade! But again I tend to be paranoid.

The home user of XP can be hijacked to be part of a botnet.

What scares me is there are medical businesses out there still using Win 2000 or 98.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.