Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I obviously have "sucker" written on my forehead.

I obviously have "sucker" written on my forehead.

Hey y'all. As you may already know, I lost my sweet pit bull Alice. I am having a really hard time. I haven't slept in my room since I found her in there.

When Alice was alive, she and Ace were BFFs, Mufasa and Kiara were BFFs. Since her passing, the boys have become best buddies, leaving Kiara out and sometimes picking on her. I have toyed with the idea of adding another female to the pack to even the dynamics out again. But that's it, just toying with the idea.

Fast forward to Saturday, I'm volunteering at an event for the exact rescue I got Alice from and there's this:

Maggie, the three month old rescued pit mix. She's one of eight! My friend Charlie and Sarah (animalhouse26) convince me to "foster" her for a couple nights."

At first, Mufasa was being his typical self, growling and being rude to her. I've kept the boys separated from the girls for the pups safety. Kiara took to her immediately.

When I brought her home from work yesterday, not a single I uncalled for growl. The only growl he gave off was in correction of her puppy antics. Last night, we all slept in bed together.

Every thing about her reminds me of Alice. Her goofball antics, her submissive nature, her smell, the way she looks at me, and just how GOOD she is. She is technically my foster and up for adoption, however, she is working me hard. Especially how much she already looks up to Kiara, how she's already won Mufasa over.

I am so torn. Part of me feels as if she is the exact addition we needed to the pack. Part of me feels like it's too soon. As much joy as she's brought me, I really just want Alice back in my arms. All I know for sure is that she's really stinking cute.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Having been involved with rescue, and having failed Fostering 101 each and every time, I understand a bit of what you are writing about!

Just remember, Maggie is not Alice, and she does not replace Alice. Maggie is Maggie, and she needs / wants to be loved as Maggie, for herself. Perhaps she does resemble Alice in many aspects of her personality, but she IS going to do something, some time, which will slap you in the face and say, HEY! THIS IS ME, MAGGIE!

If you can manage her financially, then go for it! She needs a home, and sometimes those who need a home don't wait for us in rescue to be ready, they need NOW. Finding one who fits in with a pack is a special sign. Sometimes we have to grieve one and express joy over a newbie all at the same time. NOT easy, but that's part of rescue.

Foster failure in 3...2......1.....

I had no intentions of bringing Angel home so soon after Lady died. However, she was so good with the kids at the shelter I couldn't help it.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    No - you're not a sucker at all. And even if you were, there are a whole lot of us out there that are in that same sucker category.

After I lost Myndi who was almost 18, and Sparky who was almost 14, exactly 10 months apart, I vowed that I was done being a pet mom. I lost many in the 50 years that I had at least one furkid, and more often than not, multiples of them at one time. I had been thru enough heartache every time that one had to leave for RB, and I felt I was getting too old for any more heartache. Then along came Wolfy, who I am convinced was picked out for me by Myndi and Sparky, because now I had no more little Fuzzbuttz in my life and they didn't want me to be alone. My heart was too empty and my house was too quiet and empty as well. So exactly 5 weeks after Myndi's passing, Wolfy came to make his furever home with me. I thank those 2 little fur angels every day, for looking out for me and pointing me in Wolfy's direction, and telling me that they didn't want me to be sad and lonely and to go get him and give him a new home.

Is that being a sucker - I think not!

Do what you feel is right and what your heart whispers to you, and know that Alice most likely had a hand in this chance meeting. And as Sandie said - remember that Maggie is Maggie and can never be Alice.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Of course they can never replace the one you lost. But they do help fill the hole in your heart a little. It gives you something to direct your energy and heart on.
    If it's working out so well, I say you are a foster failure. I agree with pomtzu that Alice more than likely brought Maggie to you.
    She is adorable!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

What a face! And she is fitting in so nicely ...

(I am feeling a nose bonk from Alice in that not-so-subtle way ...)
    I've Been Frosted

Oh, that face, that sweet dear little face.

Name:  1920193_10152681054279428_1333933468_n.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  69.9 KB
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Go for it! She is so cute and you said she fits in. I'm sure you can love the new one Maggie while also loving your RB Alice. I am also one who said I was not going to get another dog when my Honey died. Things weren't right without a dog so I got LilGirl about 3 weeks later and have never regretted it.

Oh, i think Alice definitely had a part in this. Kiki needs a companion, Maggie needs a home. What's not to like?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Blog Entries
    What a sweet, cute, looking pup. Those eyes, & that face. Looks like a keeper to me.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Her cute face just kills me!

Whatever you decide, I know you'll do what is best for Maggie. Be it with your crew (Yes! ), or with a home that you know will love and care for her.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. Today marks 1 week that she's been with me and everything is going wonderfully. I think it's safe to say that she's here to stay.

Her new name is Shenzi. Maggie doesn't fit her. I had a few names that I tossed around but she gets most excited by Shenzi. It fits with The Lion King theme. She already has the nickname of ZiZi.c

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr View Post
    Thank you all for your kind words and advice. Today marks 1 week that she's been with me and everything is going wonderfully. I think it's safe to say that she's here to stay.

Her new name is Shenzi. Maggie doesn't fit her. I had a few names that I tossed around but she gets most excited by Shenzi. It fits with The Lion King theme. She already has the nickname of ZiZi.c
    Aww, it fits her much better! And pairs well with "silly" = Silly Shenzi! You've landed yourself a grey home!
    I've Been Frosted

Shenzi is so cute! I had a feeling she was home.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

She is cute. And now I know who you are.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)