Thread: Lovie - St. Bernard with mammary tumors

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Lovie - St. Bernard with mammary tumors

IMOM.org has a special PIN (Pet in Need) right now. Please cross-post her story to all our social media sites.
    So far, IMOM has raised $720 for her surgery. If you're able to donate, please do so -- but most importantly, please help me get the word out.
    Thank you so much for all your help.

Here's the link to Lovie's fundraising thread: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=10122

Here's the introduction Lovie's mother wrote to explain the situation.

I'd like to take a moment to introduce myself, Sheryl and Lovie. I adopted Lovie in January from a Shelter after I saw her posted behind 'bars'. She is a St Bernard and being a lover of that particular breed it broke my heart to see her this way. I was in touch with shelter and it's volunteers daily to get reports on 'Lovie'. I learned that she had been picked up by Animal Control having being dumped on the side of the road. She was emaciated and believed to have been used to breed repeatedly and no longer of use because of Mammary Tumors. It broke my heart!

The vet at the shelter had guessed her age to be 8 years and that the tumors inoperable. As well as not being able to spay her due to her age and the mammary tumors.

The volunteers at the shelter rallied together, and helped to pay for her adoption fee. Knowing that she would be going to a loving home where she would be loved and well taken care of. As well as have two sister fur babies to keep her company. She would be able to live out the rest of her senior years in comfort.

After bringing her home, need I mention I traveled four hours round trip to adopt her and bring her home. I immediately scheduled an appt with my regular veterinary. She was then treated for an ear infection in both ears and put on a pro-biotic for her digestive system as she was so thin. However, after applying for Care Credit, I learned that that particular vet would not accept it. SO, I went on a hunt thru Care Credit and found a wonderful new veterinary clinic. He accepts Care Credit and is thrilled to work with me and IMOM to work toward finding funding for her surgery.

After he evaluated Lovie, she is only 6 yrs old. She is a very good candidate for a double mastectomy to remove the mammary tumors. As well be spay during the procedure. He is happy with the 22 pounds that she has put on since I have adopted her. We did do x-rays to make sure that her lungs were clear and her heart is strong. Both ARE in excellent condition, which couldn't make me any happier or Dr. Koch.

With the help of IMOM and the community, I am hoping and praying for funds to be raised so that Lovie can have the surgery. It is a surgery that needs to be done so that she will not have anymore tumors grow, or other problems associated with them.

I apologize if this long winded, but I can go on and on about this baby girl. She is so precious to me and become such a very important part of my family in such a short period of time. The photo I'm attaching is the day she left the shelter to come home with us. The Cockapoo is Daisy, who I adopted as well five years ago, and the other St Bernard on the couch is Beausifus who I have had since she was a puppy. Lovie would be the new addition who is sitting on the floor. I hope you enjoy her journey with us and the updates and photos..
    Here's a photo of Lovie when Sheryl found her at the shelter. So, sad and skinny and dejected. But, her future looks bright if she can get the mammary tumors removed.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Update from IMOM

FUND UPDATE: Lovie has received $1420 in donations and still needs $144!!

WOW! I never expected the funds to be raised so quickly.

Lovie has the funds she needs for surgery. You can follow her progress on the link in the first thread.

And, if your pet is ever in a life-threatening situation, please remember IMOM.org.

Aww, how nice! I bet she is a sweetheart, and am glad she will get the necessary surgery!
    I've Been Frosted

This progressed quickly! And that is good, as Lovie needs to get the surgery.

My RB, Lacey, had a mammary tumor and a mastectomy. She lived another 5 years, eventually dying of cancer, throughout her body. The lab report indicated the vet who removed the tumor got clear margins all around, so we don't really think the end was a result of that particular tumor.

Goodness, Lovie has gained 22 pounds - I've never had a bichon weigh that much!