Thread: All sorts of pets get abandoned. :(

All sorts of pets get abandoned. :(

My sister in law works at a local shelter, and this pretty lady was found abandoned in a Kritter Keeper in a local park. She is enormous.

Thing is, if I'm right about the species, she's actually worth a fair bit of money and I don't know why anyone would dump her instead of selling her. I'm going to post a picture of her on a tarantula forum as soon as I'm approved to join and confirm my suspicion about her species before I mention it here. Poor thing is very stressed out, and has scratched all the hair off of her abdomen. I'm hoping to get an answer about her species quickly so I can get a care sheet to the shelter to get her set up as well as possible.

I WISH I could bring her home and foster her here, but my husband would kill me. Then he would die. Then possibly kill me again for good measure.

What a pretty girl, hope she gets a good home!
    I've Been Frosted

Woo! A rescue came by and picked her up today!

Aww, that's good! Did you learn what kind she is?

And don;t worry, Paul would feel the same as your hubby about this one!
    I've Been Frosted

Such a shame and very bizarre that she'd be abandoned! I don't suppose it would be possible that she was stolen, and then dumped? Good to hear that she's been taken in, though.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Female Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula ????

I was looking in the pet section criags list north jersey
    I saw a picture that looks like the picture of the spider you posted.
    This is the posting below I could not get the image to attach but if you copy and past the link it should come up

Goliath Bird Eater Female (Sparta nj)

http://images.craigslist.org/00P0P_c...wy_600x450.jpg

I have a 6.5" Female Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula. that's looking for a new home or Breeding project. She comes with her 18qt locking enclosure,substrate,live moss and hide. She is a voracious eater that will take anything you offer and she is calm enough to be handled. I'm asking $125 or trade for another T. ( Brazilian Black, MM B.Smithi,Female Chaco Golden Knee, Male Skeleton, Male Brazilian Black and White,Male Fire Leg) let me know what you have. Thanks

That's exactly what I was thinking she was.

That's the species that comes to mind to me too. Wow! I'm glad the rescue was able to take her. What a beauty!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

So I have to ask, she eats birds? Small rats or mice. Large spider. I'm with your husband on this one.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    So I have to ask, she eats birds? Small rats or mice. Large spider. I'm with your husband on this one.
    Actually, the name is a misnomer, they don't eat birds. They eat LOTS of bugs, maybe the occasional mouse.