Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring ... in various places

Spring ... in various places

I know in some areas it is getting to be Spring, just wondering when you count it as truly spring where you are!

Do remind us your are, when you post ...

When I was a kid the first Robin was a sign of spring up here in Massachusetts, but the past couple years we have had robins show up surprisingly early so they are no longer a good predictor. I saw some 2 weeks ago - long before any worms are to appear!

Not spring yet here in the Boston Massachusetts area by a long shot ... I think I really count it as Spring when ... hmm, i dunno - but at least most of the snow and ice are gone? It is hard when I don't have crocus to rely on ...
    I've Been Frosted

Our springs seem confused the last few years. Last year we had snow in May. The latest time of year we had ever had it.

I'm in SE Kansas. Yesterday, I noticed leaves from my tulips are coming up and my lilac bush has tons of leaf buds on it. Today it was 60 but tomorrow it is to be in the 30s with rain and snow. Sort of hard to tell when spring is really here. They usually say April I think.

Robins have been back for a couple of weeks already. As for me, I usually consider March, April, May the spring months.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Robin, puffed up against the cold
    Hurries past my window toward
    The lone patch of exposed grass
    While juncos and sparrow,
    Sturdy little ones they are
    Contentedly feast on seed
    Thrown out onto the frozen snow

I want to tell it "Go back, silly bird,"
    The worms are all napping, frozen solid
    And will be for some time to come
    "Go back South" I'd say,
    But I don't speak "robin"
    And it doesn't speak "human"
    So my pity will have to suffice.
    I've Been Frosted

Oh, and I really don't think of it really being Spring usually until April, and sometimes we have Spring all the way into June, and sometimes summer temperatures hit in May .. the glory of unpredictable New England weather!
    I've Been Frosted

I've been told that a surer sign of Spring than a Robin, is a Red Winged Blackbird. Robins have been known to "winter-over" in some areas - but not the Blackbirds.

Spring for us this year, will come when we can see significant areas of grass. We haven't seen any since last year, and with 2-3 feet of snow to melt, I think it will be awhile.

Being in the south, we have robins and red-winged blackbirds year round. Right now there are no signs of spring, but I am eagerly awaiting when I wake up one morning and everything is suddenly green again!
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

I'm trying to love spring, I really am. All it means is MUD to me.

On a happier note, my tulips are starting to come up!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I had to find this thread - today the last of the snow behind the apartment will have gone away - warm rain will be the end of it! Of course the ground is so saturated from the snowy winter and rainy spring, it's already forming puddles on the grass ....

When the last of the snowbanks is gone from in front of the apartment, that will truly be a sign of spring. They were as tall as I am at a couple points this winter, and are down to less than 2 feet high now ...
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Spring??? What's that??? I think it's a coiled piece of wire, and has absolutely nothing to do with the weather or time of year.

But yes - I do believe we saw our last snowfall last week. It has been a very long and cold and rather depressing Winter, even tho I normally like Winter. I think it's just that this year, it overstayed its welcome.

Some rain yesterday, POURING rain today, and more rain tomorrow. The yard has it's own lakes in the lower locations. The snow is finally gone, and none to be found except for the mountains of the black, dirty, nasty mess that's still in the parking lots of the stores and malls.

I so want some sun and warmer weather to brighten my disposition. I feel like a house hound, and my little Wolfman has gained 2 pounds over this long winter, for lack of getting out for those long walks that he loves, and maybe getting more treats (even tho just healthy ones) than he should have. Time to get that boy back in shape - along with his Mom!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Yeah, up here, thankfully the temperatures were warm, so while all the rain formed ponds in the back yours as it fell, thankfully the ground is also thawing so it managed to eventually absorb is by nightfall - although i would not risk actually walking on what looks like grass at this point! And we have more rain coming tomorrow, besides what is falling now!

The kind of morning when it is still so dark, you think, "Maybe my clock is wrong, and it really just 6 a.m. instead of 8, and I can sleep more ... " but alas, not the case!
    I've Been Frosted

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

There's dormant grass in the back, kinda a dull green and brown, does that count? More rain today!
    I've Been Frosted

The announcement of spring came this morning amidst the snow.

The blackbirds are back. They were making so much noise in the trees that I thought it was a windstorm.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Blog Entries
    May 15th is our actual planting season here, so I consider that Spring. But like Kansas we had snow in the middle of May last year with a late planting season in June. along with Monsoon season at that time also.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

I'm in Denmark and we definitely have spring. During the last few weeks we've had days warm enough to sit out in the sun in short sleeves. The buds on trees are coming out, the ground is covered in all sort of blue and yellow flowers and lots of various birds are singing and looking for nests. Wonderful!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.