Thread: Hooray Chicago

Hooray Chicago

Taking a huge step in ending the endless wait of Pets in Shelters and ending the profit of inhumane puppy mills.

https://www.thedodo.com/chicago-bans...454083273.html
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

HALLELUJAH!!! Well done, CHICAGO!!!!!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Good job Chicago!!!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

This makes me soooooo mad. So mad. A judge has delayed implementation of the ban on sale of dogs born in puppy mills in Cook County. That is just wrong. There are so many shelter dogs who need homes. I've been in one "Happiness is Pets" store and the puppies are adorable. But I didn't know about puppy mills at the time. Now I know and I feel sick every time I drive by that store. They should be banned not only in Cook County but in all of Illinois. There is a series of radio commercials that end by saying, "A person is the best thing that can happen to a shelter pet." Don't go to Petland or Happiness is Pets, people of Cook County. Go to your local shelter. And sign up to volunteer after you adopt.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...911-story.html

A federal judge issued an order today delaying a so-called "puppy mill" ban in response to a federal lawsuit that was filed this week.

"I think people can rest assured that people can get their Christmas puppies and their Easter bunnies in April next year," said David Fish, the lawyer representing the pet store owners who sued the county.

On Monday, the owners of Petland of Hoffman Estates, Petland of Chicago Ridge and the five Happiness is Pets stores across the suburbs sued to block the Cook County ordinance that targets large-scale breeders that have been accused of providing poor conditions and producing unhealthy pets. The Missouri Pet Breeder's Association, which claims its state is home to more breeders than any other state, is also named a plaintiff.

The suit claimed the law is unconstitutional because it is overly vague, violates the Commerce Clause by interfering with interstate commerce, provides unequal protection, impairs business contracts and would put the shop owners out of business and cause them "financial ruin."

The ordinance, which allows home-rule municipalities to opt out, was approved in April and set to take effect Oct. 1. Cook County’s new law would limit the sale of dogs, cats and rabbits to those that come from rescue groups, humane societies, government-run shelters or federally licensed breeders who use no more than five reproducing females.

Today's court order now postpones that law until a judge rules on the complaint. It’s expected to be heard next on Oct. 22.

The Cook County State’s Attorney’s office has not commented. It is representing the defendants including the county board of commissioners, board President Toni Preckwinkle and Donna Alexander, the animal and rabies control director.

Join reporter @SallyHoTribune for a Twitter chat at 12 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 18, on the various issues surrounding "puppy mill" bans. Use #TLtalk to ask questions or give your opinions on how cities and pet stores are dealing with "puppy mill" bans.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I hope the public just SCREAMS at this and the stores back down!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Booo hissss to those store owners. May they all work in a shelter unpaid for a week, and be forced to euthanize the healthy dogs that get put to sleep for lack of homes.
    I've Been Frosted

Has anyone here researched the background of this story. I was just curious, and now I have found discrepancies. Is it October or March for the implementation? The law states March 2015.

How are licensed pet breeders going to be treated? Can these sell in stores?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)