Thread: Woman becomes Internet sensation after tweeting about President ‘Barraco Barner’

Woman becomes Internet sensation after tweeting about President ‘Barraco Barner’

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...164726136.html

There are times in life when the only reaction that can be mustered is that wide-eyed, “OMG did that really just happen” kind of expression.
    This is one of those times.
    At about 1:30 am on March 3, 20-year-old beautician Gemma Worrall sent out this tweet:
    "If barraco barner is our president why is he getting involved with Russia, scary."
    There’s just so much wrong happening here, I’m not sure where to begin.

Barraco Barner. Barraco Barner … if you say it real fast ten times it sounds like you’re drunk-talking about the president. Maybe she can just blame it on the a-a-alcohol …
    I guess, if you lived in England … presumably under a rock … and never picked up a newspaper, like ever, you might assume that’s how you spell the president of the United States’ name.
    Perhaps she was phonetically sounding it out because she just had to tweet to the world her opinion on Russia’s crisis at that moment. President Ba-rraco Bar-ner … ya that sounds about right.

See the link for more tweet reactions.

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Love it! Thank you, Candace.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Could easily be a voice recognition error. Not everyone literally types their tweets.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Could easily be a voice recognition error. Not everyone literally types their tweets.
    Or someone whose spellcheck guessed wrong - goodness knows even I make typos, and sometimes the spellcheck choose the wrong correction!
    I've Been Frosted

"D*mn you autocorrect!"
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Voice to text programs can come up with some interesting results. The tech manual for one of the machines I work on was done using voice rec software, and the manual was evidently dictated, spell checked, and sent to print. There are some amusing errors in there.

I was absolutely confused by part of it, and called the person who wrote the manual to ask them what in heck a Hollyfax sensor was. Hall effect, hollyfax, the poor program didn't know what to do.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

On a side note, when did grammatical errors and voice-to-text errors become worthy of a news story? Heaven forbid someone makes a mistake.

Oh I think this gal typed it...lol.

I worked in an office where voice-recognition software was tried out in order to make transcription easier. The boss had no patience with "training" the software to accurately recognize his voice. It was a nice idea while it lasted....
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda