Thread: Asking for your advice

Asking for your advice

Hi PT friends,
    While our Amigo has settled in very nicely and is a very sweet little guy, we're asking for any thoughts you might have. Amigo chews on wires. I've already had to replace my cell phone charger after he gnawed through the wire which was unplugged at the time. When we see him chewing on a wire he receives a firm no then we do what we can to distract him to a safer activity. We have also gotten him several chew toys that he enjoys and we use them to lure him away from the wires. Soncat and I are concerned for his safety and realize he could get hurt but we're at a loss about how to stop him. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their kitty? Any thoughts on how we can break Amigo of wire chewing will be tremendously appreciated.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Eileen, I think there is some kind of bitter lemon spray you can get in pet supply stores. You spray it on wires, and since the taste is nasty to cats, when kitty-boy bites down on the wire, he goes "EEEWWWWWwwww!!!" and is never again tempted. That's how it's supposed to work, I gather; I've never had need to try it myself. Something like vinegar might also work.

Prayers and good wishes to your family! Dearest little darling Amigo, PLEASE don't chew the wires! You know your Momcat and Soncat are both always looking out for your safety and well-being.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Prayers and good wishes to your family! Dearest little darling Amigo, PLEASE don't chew the wires! You know your Momcat and Soncat are both always looking out for your safety and well-being.

I was thinking the same thing, some kind of bitter liquid. Soncat, can you hide the wires from Amigo somehow? Dear sweet Amigo, wires are not to be chewed. Please use your toys that Momcat and Soncat have gotten for you. We love you and we would not want anything bad to happen. Purrs and head bumpies -- xoxoxoxoxoxo, Cassie and Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

If memory serves me correctly (it's been at least 12 yrs since I had a kitten), I got a spray called Bitter Apple and I sprayed it on wires and even furniture legs. It's also possible that I got it a few years back for my pups. Anyway I think it worked.

He must be part bunny. Your safest bet is hiding the wires so he cannot get to them. Cardboard paper towel tubes hide wires well, and look around and see what other ways you can keep him away from wires-move them behind things, block off access, etc.
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Willow and Willy chewed our cords up when they were kittens. We purchased Critter Cord http://www.crittercord.com/critter_cord.html
    It's a long, plastic hose with a slit in it. You put your cords inside it. The plastic is infused with a citrus taste. It did the trick. They didn't like the taste and quite chewing. We were able to remove it after a few months as they no longer were interested in chewing.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Winnie ia a wire chewer around here and has tried teaching the others. PVC pipe works but my computer has paper towel and toilet paper tubes over the cords. If you have things with those big box plugs, they paper tubes can be cut, fit around them and taped back shut. They've worked for me and even gave my cable guy a laugh when he gave me a new modem. (it was worn out not destroyed by kitty teeth)
    Good luck!!!

Oh, on my refrigerator in the kitchen, I got some plastic wire covering from Walmart. It is slit down the side but curls closed and they can't open it. It was pretty expensive to do the entire house with it. That's why I went with the paper tubes. They are cheap and easy to replace and should at least slow him down.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very common problem.

I think everyone covered most of what I did - pvc from Home Depot, don't leave your phone cord out, it ALWAYS has to be in a drawer.

You can also rub Vaseline along all the cords; cats don't like the taste. If you do this, ALL dust bunnies will find their way to your cords, and you will have to wipe the cords clean periodically, then reapply the Vaseline.

My Chaplin chewed cords as a kitten, as did my RB Dazzle. I did the Vaseline, for about a year, each time. After that, they were out of the habit and I was safe with no Vaseline.

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions. When our vet called about Amigo's fecal test (negative for parasites etc.), I asked her about his wire chewing. Our vet recommended the bitter apple spray and I was able to order some from PetCo. Mike aka Soncat was able to block Amigo's access to the wires but we'll also try the bitter apple to hopefully end his chewing. Last week Amigo stopped eating his canned food and gobbles dry food right up. As long as he eats, we're not concerned. Having dry food to chew on might also help to keep him away from wires. If nothing else it has to taste better.

First off, don't set the cat up for failure -- if you know he chews on your phone charger cord, don't leave it out unattended.

Put away ALL CORDS, or limit access to them.

Secondly, try a "bitter chew" or "chew deterrent" spray found at any pet or general goods store. Spray it on a paper towel and use it to wipe down any and all exposed cords that he may have access to.

facebook

How is it going, Momcat? Amigo, please leave the cords alone.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Wrap the chords in aluminum foil.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Some "kittens" never outgrown this, btw. I did the hide away cords thing, initially. But, my chewers moved on to bigger and better things. I have a shower liner that looks like a cheese grater, bite marks on the corner of my computer screen, wooden shelves, books, wires, you name it. I have two nice cat figurines with chewed off ears. I did find the aluminum foil works great, and is cheapest.

I have cats that are possibly a million more times more destructive than a 12 week old puppy. :-0

Were some of the advises given here useful to train Amigo?
    I must have very good cats, as not even one of them has ever chow on wires or furniture! I am grateful for having such sweet cats!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Yes they were, Lut. Soncat went around covering wires with paper towel tubes and also rearranged a few things to hide them. Wires that couldn't be rearranged are now blocked so Amigo can't get to them. We also got some Bitter Apple from PetCo to use on our headphones and other wires we don't use all the time. As for his chewing, we make sure he has plenty of chew toys around and he loves chewing on dry meow chow so there's plenty in his bowl. Thank you to everyone for your help! Knew I could count on you for some excellent advice.