Thread: Good Update on my mom

Good Update on my mom

Hello, there.

We met wiith the surgeon Dr. Lafreniere late this afternoon. Mom has lobular cancer - it relates to the milk ducts in the breast. These are never discovered early with mammograms - only with ultrasounds! Thank goodness my mom's GP did detect something manually and ordered the US as well as the mammo.

Surgery will involve a mastectomy, simply because there are two areas of concern and they are a type III. Mom will get an injection the day before surgery of a radioactive material that will travel to several lymph nodes. A couple of them will be removed and tested while Mom is under. If those two have no cancer then the lymph nodes will be left alone.

The procedure will take one hour and mom will be at Foothills overnight, unless circumstances dictate a longer stay. Yeah, that surprised me too!

As he said, "When you wake up you will be cancer-free." Virtually NO chance of recurrence and no follow-up radiation or chemo. Tamoxifen is a possibility but that will be discussed later.

Mom is bumped to the top of the surgery list - the next opening is hers. This can take up to 3 weeks but Dr. L expects it will be sooner than that.

If there is good news about cancer, this is the best news we could get. Thanks so much for your care and concern.

Mom is very relieved - I think I am too!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That's good news! Good luck to her that day and the days following! Tell her she is welcome to join the "Good Riddance to Bad Parts" club!
    I've Been Frosted

Wonderful news, Candace

Prayers and positive thoughts will continue for as long as you both need them.

The best news given the circumstances. Prayers for you both.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Thank you all.

Even if she had a prognosis of "only" 10 years, she would be 90 then. Her EKG showed a strong heart, no murmurs or anything at all amiss!

Oh, Candace, what wonderful, promising news for your mom and you!

We are all sending along our continuing prayers and good wishes and healing energies.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Good luck to your mom. I think 10 years is a sort of default prognosis for cancers which are relatively easy to deal with.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    Good luck to your mom. I think 10 years is a sort of default prognosis for cancers which are relatively easy to deal with.
    Her prognosis is that it won't come back. That's why I said "even if".

Candace, your good news has made my day!!! My prayers and positive thoughts will most definitely continue for your Mom and for you as you see her through this. Could I ask you to give her a big, comforting hug from me? As you can, would you keep us updated on how she's doing?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Mom just called. A nurse will be phoning her this Thursday to get information over the phone; we do the pre-op lab work tomorrow.

The nurse who phoned her today also said that her surgery is a week from Thursday, March 7th. March 8 marks 2 weeks since we saw the surgeon. This is great.

Thanks again for all your good thoughts.