Thread: Need advice!!! Lots of strays now?? {Update below, have TNR appt}

Threaded View

Need advice!!! Lots of strays now?? {Update below, have TNR appt}

So, last month I made this post about a stray in the neighborhood and got some really good advice. I made shelter for the cat, and recently started feeding it. I know for sure it is a stray (possibly feral), because occasionally it will come onto the deck and eat food intended for local birds and squirrels (like cornbread), which I can't imagine a pet cat doing.

My plan was to see if the cat would warm up to me, and if so, take it to the local no-kill shelter which is really nice and it could potentially be adopted. If not, there is a local TNR program where it could be fixed and get some shots.

However, I've noticed lately that in the morning, there is absolutely no cat food left, and the bowl is knocked down off the deck stairs (it can't be accessed by my dogs). This morning Marta was barking at something so I went outside. I felt like I stepped into the twilight zone...there were 5 cats in the yard!!! (Including "my" stray). I have no idea if they are all stray cats, or if some belong to people in the neighborhood.

What should I do? I am willing to take the same steps for all the cats if they are indeed stray, but how do I differentiate between strays and neighborhood cats? I know that some people let their cats outside in nicer weather, and it's been warm the last few days...
    Last edited by Pembroke_Corgi; 04-23-2014 at 03:31 PM.