Thread: Racing to Save the Stray Dogs of Sochi

Racing to Save the Stray Dogs of Sochi

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I so wish we could educate the citizens of Sochi, long term about Spay and Neuter, rather than this one last-minute dash and uproar!
    I've Been Frosted

Link to petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/972/0...sochi-in-2014/

I added a comment about contraceptive implants - using birth control instead of this violence.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

How about we start working now to prevent something similar from happen in Brazil, as I am guessing much of this is water under the bridge by now. Why not focus on prevention rather than reaction!
    I've Been Frosted

Here's a concept:

How about boycotting the Olympics and the IOC until they stop awarding the Olympics to nations that have the best bribes, stop supporting nations which raze villages to put in Olympic venues, and stop holding them in corrupt third world countries in general?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Here's a concept:

How about boycotting the Olympics and the IOC until they stop awarding the Olympics to nations that have the best bribes, stop supporting nations which raze villages to put in Olympic venues, and stop holding them in corrupt third world countries in general?
    If only we could! I sometimes wonder what happens to some of these places after the Olympics are over. I remember being in Beijing and seeing the "Build New Beijing, Hold Great Olympics" signs everywhere, and wonder if all those building are still in use. Beijing is a pretty bustling place, so maybe they are, but what about other spots?
    I've Been Frosted

Sad to say, but I think it's too little, too late for the dogs in Sochi. I fear that the Summer Games in Rio will be even worse. With all the ecological problems
    there, the stray dogs won't get any help either.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...ash-sewage.ap/
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

A Russian billionaire, who has also invested in the Games, has stepped in.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good-...185416361.html

Russian billionaire steps in to save Sochi’s stray dogs

A Russian billionaire is making a last-ditch effort to save Sochi's stray dogs from death sentences.
    Oleg V. Deripask is funding a makeshift dog shelter to provide safety for the animals targeted by an initiative to clean up Sochi's streets.
    In recent months, the Russian government authorized a pest removal company to "catch and dispose" of the hundreds of stray dogs in Sochi, citing that the canines were too dangerous to be left roaming around on their own. Since October, about 300 dogs have been killed every month, outraging animal activists around the world.
    Deripaska, a major investor in the Sochi games, is hoping to save many of the remaining dogs from systematic death-by-chemical-injection.

Deripaska and his rescue organization, Volnoe Delo (translated roughly as "Good Will"), are funding a simple rescue effort: a cart is currently making its way around Olympic Village, transporting the stray dogs to a makeshift shelter.
    About 80 animals, many of them abandoned after their owners' homes were demolished to make way for Olympic venues, are currently at Deripaska's shelter.

"We were told, 'Either you take all the dogs from the Olympic Village or we will shoot them,'" Olga Melnikova, who is coordinating the rescue effort on behalf of Volnoe Delo, told The New York Times.
    A worker leads a dog off a jump after it had wandered on the course during snowboard slopestyle training at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics in Rosa Khutor, February 4, 2014. (REUTERS/Lucas Jackson)

The International Olympic Committee insisted that no healthy dogs are being destroyed, and are only being "taken into custody."
    "It would be absolutely wrong to say that any healthy dogs will be destroyed," said Mark Adams, an IOC spokesman.

The dogs at the shelter will receive medical treatment and vaccinations — and will be made available for adoption, even to fans attending the sporting event.

Shelter workers hope that the publicity and outreach efforts will encourage people to look beyond breeding and help pups in need.
    "Everybody here wants a German shepherd or a pit bull," said Nadezhda Mayboroda, a Sochi resident who is working at the shelter. "Nobody wants just a mixed dog."
    Deripaska has pledged $50,000 a year for shelter operations.

@YahooCanadaNews on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Here's a concept:

I'm with you! I won't have ANYTHING to do with the games, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I remember being in Beijing and seeing the "Build New Beijing, Hold Great Olympics" signs everywhere, and wonder if all those building are still in use. Beijing is a pretty bustling place, so maybe they are, but what about other spots?
    Hi Karen, A few years ago, my son was in Beijing as a diplomacy delegate with the International Scholar Laureate Program. While the delegates were in Beijing they went to see the Olympic park. Apparently it's now a tourist attraction.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE