Thread: Added an Otocinclus to my Aquarium

Hybrid View

Added an Otocinclus to my Aquarium

Been working with my Aquarium recently. Bought a new heater and filter, disconnected the old, set up the new, and in the process now my lights don't work. So need to fix them next. Built up my school of lamp eye tetras to 8. And two days ago, I added an otocinclus! First time I've had one, doing tons of research online. I had planned on getting a pleco, those I've had before. But the gal in PetsMart said with the size tank I have, I should go for something smaller, and showed me the oto.

Oto is a variety of catfish, and a herbivore. Mostly, they live on algae, though they 'may' take to spinach, zucchini and cucumber. You have to blanche it first. For the moment, this one is slowly working on the algae on the glass. I will start growing my own algae for him in another day or 2. Need to buy the proper rocks, and find a glass bowl. They are a shy fish, and I've already spent a good 10 minutes several times trying to locate this one. They also find it difficult to transition from the wild to a tank, the first month is critical. If an oto survives the first month, most likely you are set for a few years.

Anyway, here are some photos. Here is the tank, with the oto hanging on the glass far right.

You can also see a tetra in these 2:

A few more coming.

This is really cool! The oto is stuck on the front glass, so you can see the underside. There are 2 'mouths' which pulse as it scoops algae off the glass. There are also 3 tetras in this shot, one to the left of the oto, another to the right and the third is to the right and facing straight in to the camera!

Oto and a few tetras.

Otocinclus

There are 2 tetras in this photo -- can you find them? LOL

That's all.

Cool, once I saw the second set, I knew what to look for in the first set! Do you kitties enjoy the fish tanks?
    I've Been Frosted

You lost me! (I'm not a fish person) I looked up the oto--fish on line and then I understood what I'm looking at. Does it ever swim, or does it mostly stick itself to something?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Cool, once I saw the second set, I knew what to look for in the first set! Do you kitties enjoy the fish tanks?
    Karen, I often say this place is run for the pets. I initially got into the fish hobby FOR MY CATS! I always keep a step stool in front of the tank, and often a cat is up there looking, head moving as it tracks a particular fish. My RB Dazzle really would get in to it, using a paw to tap the glass, and forgetting he was on the stool, so he'd fall off!

I guess I should have used photoshop and put in a red circle or arrow on the first pic or 2, sorry about that.

Elyse, mostly it sticks to anything with algae - tank glass, rock, vegetation. I've seen it swim a bit from one place to another, but that's it.

Thanks for taking the time, both of you!

Nice, Oto! I Love Oto cats I had one named Draco a few years ago. He lived a few years. He was a good little eater for sure.

Sandie, I just got an oto a couple weeks ago!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla