Thread: Groundhog Day and Tea

Groundhog Day and Tea

The rest of the world may think of this as Groundhog Day, but I think of it as Aunt Zsa's birthday! She was a dear lady, tough but a very girly girl at heart, so in her honor, everyone should enjoy a nice cup of tea. A mug is fine, but a delicate china teacup would be more appropriate - after her "girls" grew up and moved away, she missed having another feminine presence around, so would take me out to lunch and the like, just so we could go someplace fancy and dress nicely - Uncle Buster would never have wanted to spend the time scrubbing motor oil and engine grease off his hands to be comfortable in those places!

Gave yourself a nice cup of tea - whatever kind you like, we'd experiment - and be thankful for heath and home!
    I've Been Frosted

Oh, I'm just seeing this now, Karen, a day late for Aunt Zsa's birthday. So how about if I dress nicely and have a nice cup of tea in her honor today?

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

It only counts as tea with Aunt Zsa if you have to move vehicle parts off the table to put the tablecloth on.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

No vehicle parts on the table..

There are loads of other things on the table.. papers and notebooks and writing implements and the monitor for my desktop computer and a few of my many many cat figurines and a basket full of batteries (not car batteries, though). No way I could move all those off, and nowhere to move them to, and I don't have a tablecloth anyway.

And I don't have a delicate china teacup, so I was going to make do with my mug that says "CRAZY CAT LADY" (a Christmas gift from my brother and sister-in-law).

But I guess it won't be tea with Aunt Zsa after all.
    Last edited by phesina; 02-03-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Tea (Or coffee) with Zsa at the house was never a formal event, so the mug and the papers would fit right in. She did the bookkeeping for their vehicle electrical business, so depending on the day the dining room table at their house could be covered with nearly anything. The sitting room between the dining room and the living room was used for parts storage and paperwork for quite a few years, so the papers would be at home as well.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Okay, that makes me feel better.

I'm drinking a nice cup of Bigelow Lemon Lift Tea right now. Here's to Aunt Zsa!
    Death thought about it.

And late is fine ... she'd appreciate it anyway!
    I've Been Frosted

Just so people get an accurate picture......

Zsa was very much a misplaced Victorian-era LADY with a capital L at heart, but her husband was the antithesis of proper Victorian behavior.

They were always great fun, and their house was always a pleasant place to stop just to have a cup of coffee or tea and chat.

We'd sit down for coffee and a chat, her husband would come in after being out working on something in the yard, or cutting wood, or whatever chore needed to be done, and he'd sit down, grimy hands and all, and grab a cup of coffee or tea. If it was dinner, he'd proceed to stir the beverage with the butt of his knife, yielding a "BUSTER, USE A SPOON!", at which point he'd grab the spoon out of the sugar bowl, use it , and put it back, which would be interrupted somewhere in there by a "Not THAT one!!!!".......

The routine was ages old, almost rehearsed. Heaven help people who weren't used to them.