Thread: USPS shipping costs

USPS shipping costs

.. I had to start with a sad face.. haha.. in regards shipping costs.. international that is.. they have gone way way up..
    was going to buy some stuff online like 10-20 dlls.. and the shipping was like 60.. really??.. that was going through the site.. which I want to assume doing it "in person" would be a little less, but how much less would it be?..

I knew some here had like inside info.. haha.. does anyone still do?.... I planned o shipping like 5-10lbs of some powdery stuff (diatomaceous earth).. so it prob fit any shape box as long as it's withing weight limits.. I tried the usps site.. but wasn't able to figure out which would be the box that applied.. some flat rate ones vary not only in size.. but most of all.. if you didn't use a flat rate, would I be able to get lower price than flat rate?

also tried ebay, but some sellers won't ship to me.. as well as some sites.. which have free shipping to USA.. just not to me.. or able to..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

There's not much you're going to do to get lower rates on international shipping. It's expensive, and the USPS only sets the piece of the shipping rate that applies to shipping within the US. The rest of the rate is determined by the postal service that the package is going to end up with.

If you're shipping the diatomaceous earth, make sure the package is SEALED within the box. Double or triple bagging within the package is a good idea, and placing a sealed box within another box is even better, in addition to triple bagging.

We get a little jumpy about white powder for some reason.....
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Lady's Human, I think Isabel wants to BUY the d. earth, not ship it out!

Isabel, international rates did go up, here in the USA, and I 'discovered' this lovely rate increase when I shipped out my Christmas cards for 2 online card swaps. I most likely will have to stop doing the swaps in future. Canada and Mexico used to be much less than shipping to Europe, and now they have jumped up to be the same. UGH.

The raised rates are courtesy of the other countries, as each government controls their own postage rates. So Isabel, it is Mexico's choice that the rates are so high.
    I've Been Frosted

How much diatomaceous earth do you need?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

bummer...
    as if our country didn't sucked as it is.. now they too have a say on shipping.. ugghh..

hahahaha... yes, I totally get the white powder creepy thingy.. hahaha.. I "wanted" to get maybe 5-10 lbs.. whatever in order to get the best product quantity-shipping charge combo.. I mean if 1lb will cost me same as 10lb I rather get the 10 ..

still looking at sites.. apparently they sell it aaaaaaall over the world but not here.. :/ .. and I want food grade one.. haha..
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

The receiving country has always set the shipping rates, it's been done by treaty for a long time.

I was going to offer to ship you a few pounds, I have a 40 pound box I use for the garden, but it isn't food grade.

interesting fact.. but sucky sucky sucky...

like if we didn't get taxed for everything already.. and now knowing it's on "our" side.. ughh.. so maddening..

thanks for your good intentions I appreciate them .. I wanted to give them a try as a wormer for the crew and while we are at it use it on me too :P.. gotta keep looking the best option.. just didn't want to dish out a lot for something I might not like.. hahaha..

has any of you used it before for consumption other than bug treatment?

notes-to-my-husband blog