Thread: Mixed Breeds allowed at Westminster!

Mixed Breeds allowed at Westminster!

Yay and hooray, mixed breeds can now compete in agility at Westminster!

http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/01/16/...ster-dog-show/

Yes, it is in agility, but I think it is a step in the right direction, as so many mixed breeds are in shelters awaiting home, and people who watch the show may be inspired to get one of them instead of just fulling in love with a certain breed from the purebreds portion of the show and buying one at a store or from unsavory circumstances.

What do you think?

I see no down side to this - and bet the dogs will have a ball!
    I've Been Frosted

Thrilled they have done this! Agility is a great way to bond with your dog. It doesn't need to be a pure anything for this activity and this will encourage (I hope) all owners to consider working with their dog in some activity.

I also will be interested to see how much of it they televise, and if they have more than a 3-minute spot for agility mention a new reason to look forward to Westminster!
    I've Been Frosted

Westminster AND the Olympics, Feb is going to be a busy month!

Though I fully support finding homes for all animals, I can't help but consider the possibility of a dark side of this. No doubt some of those animals will do well, some exceptionally well. How will this effect that particular mix, a possible proliferation of continued breeding. Do we really want that?
    Sneakers, Becca, Ichabod & NA'vi

Dogs know that you love them, whether you own them or not
    If you’re not watching FREE TV, you should be !

Quote Originally Posted by SWHouston View Post
    Though I fully support finding homes for all animals, I can't help but consider the possibility of a dark side of this. No doubt some of those animals will do well, some exceptionally well. How will this effect that particular mix, a possible proliferation of continued breeding. Do we really want that?
    I doubt they will say the breed mix, we will just have to see. Hopefully they will instead stress that some of the dogs were rescued, shelter pets and turned out be great dogs, and willing to learn. We'll see what "spin" they put on it, if any.
    I've Been Frosted