Thread: What to do about feral cat in the neighborhood?

What to do about feral cat in the neighborhood?

There is a stray cat in our neighborhood that actually looks almost exactly like one of my cats (which always makes me do a double-take). I've tried to approach it before, but it always runs away. I have thought about calling the shelter, but I wonder if it would just be put to sleep if it has a fear of people. Is there anything I can do for the cat?

I think it likes my neighborhood because I have a bird feeder (and several large squirrels who like to come dine too), and sometimes I see it stalking them. I don't want them to end up lunch though, either.

Could you maybe put food out for the cat? Make it some kind of shelter (e.g., an upended plastic bin with an entrance cut into the side and bedding under it) it could go into when the weather is bad?

Alley Cat Allies is a nationwide organization dedicated to the care of feral cats. They have lots of information and tips in response to the questions you ask: http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=984

Best wishes to you and the cat, and God bless you for taking an interest in him/her.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Yes if you take it to the shelter it will be pts.

Start putting food out for it at set times. Keep in mind this will encourage other wildlife, namely skunks, possums, raccoons! So think before you do this! This is the way to work up to petting it. Then having it walk inside, then keeping it, having it fixed etc. Oh, and once you start feeding it, some communities consider it YOURS so if it bites someone you are responsible for it not having up to date rabies shot.

OR you can borrow a trap and trap it. There should be a feral cat rescue in your area, which offers traps and low cost spay / neuter programs. A cat who is afraid of humans had to be brought to the vet in the trap and not all vets will work on such. This is why you would work with a program. They can help decide if it needs to be fixed and returned to the wild, or tamed up.

To find a program, you can use Google and put TNR cat xxx where xxx is your city / town. Or you can post asking on your local craigslist -- someone out there will answer you!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Could you maybe put food out for the cat? Make it some kind of shelter (e.g., an upended plastic bin with an entrance cut into the side and bedding under it) it could go into when the weather is bad?

Alley Cat Allies is a nationwide organization dedicated to the care of feral cats. They have lots of information and tips in response to the questions you ask: http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=984

Best wishes to you and the cat, and God bless you for taking an interest in him/her.

Thanks for the good resource! Yes, I have thought about making a shelter in the back yard for the cat, because we have a yard that's split - one half for the dogs, and one half for people (and dogs when we are with them), so it wouldn't be bothered by our dogs. My main hesitation was the squirrels/birds, as they enjoy our deck. But maybe if I left out some food the cat would be less likely to try to kill the small animals near our house.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Yes if you take it to the shelter it will be pts.

Start putting food out for it at set times. Keep in mind this will encourage other wildlife, namely skunks, possums, raccoons! So think before you do this! This is the way to work up to petting it. Then having it walk inside, then keeping it, having it fixed etc. Oh, and once you start feeding it, some communities consider it YOURS so if it bites someone you are responsible for it not having up to date rabies shot.

OR you can borrow a trap and trap it. There should be a feral cat rescue in your area, which offers traps and low cost spay / neuter programs. A cat who is afraid of humans had to be brought to the vet in the trap and not all vets will work on such. This is why you would work with a program. They can help decide if it needs to be fixed and returned to the wild, or tamed up.

To find a program, you can use Google and put TNR cat xxx where xxx is your city / town. Or you can post asking on your local craigslist -- someone out there will answer you!

Good luck!
    Thank you! I ran a search, and there is a TNR agency in our area; they do spay/neuter and rabies/distemper for only $20. I'll try making a shelter/feeding it to see if it is truly feral or just initially scared of strangers. Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to keep him/her (my husband has become progressively more allergic to cats and we already have 3, so another would not be a good idea) but if it was a stray it could potentially be adopted by someone.

First I leave out food and maybe an old carrier with a blanket in it and water if it will not freeze.
    I have found with the Found Hotel Cat starys that Cats will respond to kindness , love and a low friendly voice.
    Let the Cat come to you, and maybe leave a toy out as well .
    It has worked so far for me, as the fcat that I have added 7 new Cats will testify.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Also, the cat will get to the point that you can pet / stroke the entire back, especially while eating. Do NOT try to pick up at that point -- you WILL get bit! Cats take much longer to allow humans to pick them up than to allow humans to pet them. And if you do try to pick her up, and she is not ready, then you may not able to get close to her again for a LONG time. So using a trap is better.

If you have a quiet corner, make a box out of polystyrene - perhaps tape two boxes together - the ones green grocers get their veggies in, put old towels or blankets inside, cut a little hole in one end and cover with plastic. Put the box on some bricks so the bottom doesn't get cold. These boxes isolate really well. We used them for the feral cats in our yard and Fister lived his first year in one, along with his mom. Feed in a bowl next to the box.

Patience is the key word here. Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

A styrofoam cooler makes a great shelter. You can also use a Rubbermaid bin and line it with styrofoam and newspaper.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Just an idea to throw out: I saw a stray cat on the other side of my property (13 acres) before Christmas. I will not trap in this bitterly cold weather, but I did haul a plastic dog house over there (other side of hill); the containers the others have mentioned will work just as well. I used thick, rigid styrofoam to insulate the bottom and then made a "mattress" out of some unused bubble wrap I had stashed around. I happened to have a bubble-wrap "bag" and stuffed more bubble wrap, making sure it was flat, into the "bag." The result is something padded and comfy to lie on as well as being a great insulator - all that trapped air! I added an old "cuddler" bed (the round kind, with sides) and a self-heating pad. I'm not able to get over there often; when I checked a few days later, the house & bed appeared unused, but at least it's there if the cat - who may not have survived the last single-digit nights - is still here. Anyway, remember the bubble wrap - cheap, easy, and a good insulator.

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

Thanks everyone for the good ideas. I made a little shelter today because we are supposed to get a few inches of snow tonight. We'll see if the cat eventually uses it. I ended up using a plastic storage container and an old pet bed.

Name:  cat shelter.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  181.8 KB

Awww, looks cozy and perfect! Thanks on kitty's behalf!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke_Corgi View Post
    Thanks everyone for the good ideas. I made a little shelter today because we are supposed to get a few inches of snow tonight. We'll see if the cat eventually uses it. I ended up using a plastic storage container and an old pet bed.

Name:  cat shelter.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  181.8 KB

Great job. If it's facing away from the wind, it should be a good place to stay warm & dry.

****Edited to say. Also a old wooden pallet would help to keep the house off the ground.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt