Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics

Winter Olympics

With the Kitty Olympics beginning, and having spent the weekend watching the US Figure Skating Championships (I DVR them, and then watch while exercising) it got me wondering.

If you had your choice of being skilled at some Winter Olympics event, what would it be?

And which events do you like watching the most if any?

I would, of course, love to be able to skate like the figure skaters do, as I know I would never ever be a good ski jumper, but that looks like great fun, too!

(I have a very strong klutz component, it is best for everyone concerned if I never try a ski jump in real life ... I could inadvertently kill hundreds of spectators in one jump!)
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, my mom loves figure skating. She watched it all weekend!

I learned to cross-country ski in high school, and I used to really enjoy it. This might sound weird but i'd like to learn more about curling. I don't quite get it, but then again I don't live in the upper Midwest where it's popular. I'd like to go down a bobsled run just one time, just to see what it's like to go that fast. But the people who ride those luge sleds - that just scares me. They're wearing super skin-tight suits, going really fast, and if they crash there is nothing to protect their body.

I'll be interested in the hockey again because 10 Blackhawks players were named to their nations' teams. I watched the U.S. vs. Canada game at the last Olympics with a bunch of friends, and we ended up cheering for everything because it was too confusing to not cheer when something good happened with the Canadian Blackhawks' players! It was like watching a hockey all-star game
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I would love to try bobsledding or even luge just once. (I'm kind of crazy, though. )
    If it ever snows here this year, I want to learn how to snowboard. I have a feeling I'm going to be somewhat good at it but some of the things Olympic snowboarders do are nuts. I don't imagine myself getting quite that good but you never know. Definitely my favorite Olympic sport to watch.

Ski jumping - women can compete this year for the first time. I know I would simply pass out from sheer fright - but this sport fascinates me. They clear the hill and soar with the eagles - almost perfectly parallel with their skies.

I love watching the skating, they are so elegant on ice! Singles, pairs, dance, all the ice skaters are wonderful to watch.

The skiing is also fun to watch, more daredevil to me, though.

I'll also watch bobsled, luge and other things. My Mum always made sure we watched the Olympics, and paid attention! LOL So it is tradition. The hockey and such hold no interest for me, though.

Not being in to sports, I much prefer watching and enjoying, rather than imagining which one I would do!

Blog Entries
    I like the whole works. Years ago Eddy The Eagle from England sold me on ski jumping. Then there were the Jamaican bobsledders. My favorites are the American U. S. Ice Dancers. Years ago back in the 1950's my folks took me to the ice capades in St. Paul, there was an older couple that skated beautifully across the ice, he wore a suit & she had on a wool looking dress that went down to her ankles. There weren't any fancy lifts like today. That down hill skiing has me on the edge of my seat. They must be going 90 mph clipping down through the course.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

I always liked hockey, so would love to be a hockey player. Probably defense.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I would love to do the downhill skiing!

Having grown up with a "challenging" set of sledding runs in the neighborhood, I see luge and know I could die, easily - no urge to try those! And I have done a tiny bit of downhill skiing, which was fine, but not very thrilling, but ski jumping - that would be soooo cool!
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I love the Super Giant Slalom where they ski very, very fast. I would love to be a Super G gal. Too bad I barely mastered the snowplow!

Okay, I'm totally embarrassed to admit this, but I've become obsessed with curling.
    I watched it in the last Olympics and I still can't figure out the terminology and rules. So, I'm determined to figure it out this time.
    Last edited by kuhio98; 01-18-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I forgot to answer which events I like watching the most. In addition to the Ski Jumping that I would like to try - I love the cross country skiing events.

My favorite Olympics of all time was 1994 - in Lillehammer. During the cross country events, the Norwegians lined the courses from beginning to end - even the very long ones. And then there were those very long races, and the winner would be only seconds in front - even after 50km.

Skeleton, Biathlon and short track.

--------

Why are 'extreme sports' in the Games?

I have watched snowboarding and laugh every time I hear a 'trick' described like this, "It's a 720 fakie with a rear board grab....."

Yes, it is athletic and pretty crazy to watch, but it's just throwing yourself up in the air and landing, without falling..

Doesn't make sense.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Downhill skiing without a doubt.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Karen, I would also have loved to figure skate. As a kid, I was really good at roller skating, does anyone remember that. I love watching figure skating at the Olympics and like the swimming events too.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

For some odd reason roller skating was not my forte.... not much better at ice skating.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----