Thread: Male Akita need advice

Male Akita need advice

I am having issues with my Akita he isn't use to being indoors when we got him he was and outdoor dog but he had shelter from weather to go to. He has a dog house here but when it gets really cold my husband worries about him getting to cold out there. We get him to come in for a few hours off and on thru out the day but when he's in he wants right back outside. We live in Michigan and it been in the minuses I was wondering how could is to cold for him? He loves the snow and apparently loves the cold and refuses to come in after using the restroom. What can I do to make sure he is warm when outside I tried putting blankets in his dog house but he pulls them out and half the time he doesn't even go into his house. Please help! Thanks!

Do you have a porch or other closed in area he can be in?

If he wants to go out, he lets you know - that is the point of your post. If he is out does he ever ask to come inside?

With what I've heard of the temps you are having just now, I think you are right to bring him inside. He may be used to being outdoors, but he is not 'working' tracking or hunting, he is just lying around. But perhaps inside IS too warm for him. Akitas have a double coat, and since he is out a great deal, he is in full winter coat. So that is why I was asking if you have a semi - inside sort of room where he could stay -- a compromise for all of you.

One of my neighbors has a female Akita, but she is indoors most of the time. They leave their cellar door open and she is often down there. She has a bed and water bowl down there. She will come up and sit with them in the evenings when they are home from work, but she often heads down once they go to bed. Since the door is open she is free to go up and down.

Also, what kind of bedding is in his dog house? As long as he has some straw or something on the ground, he has insulation, and his own warmth likely heats up the space more than you might think. We know he objected to the blankets, but maybe straw would be preferable if you don't already have some in there! I will have Glacier, our Yukon resident, weigh in, I know some of her huskies insist on being outdoor dogs all the time, and of course she gets those temperatures quite regularly!
    I've Been Frosted

An healthy Akita who's used to be outside will be fine in negative temps with shelter. I don't force the issue with my huskies who prefer to be outside until it's -40 or lower. They've never had an issue! I have found that most of them eventually decide inside is nicer anyway...usually after the first time the try out a couch!

Blankets will just get wet. Straw is much better bedding. Shove lots into the house & he'll make himself a toasty little nest!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Do you have a porch or other closed in area he can be in?

If he wants to go out, he lets you know - that is the point of your post. If he is out does he ever ask to come inside?

With what I've heard of the temps you are having just now, I think you are right to bring him inside. He may be used to being outdoors, but he is not 'working' tracking or hunting, he is just lying around. But perhaps inside IS too warm for him. Akitas have a double coat, and since he is out a great deal, he is in full winter coat. So that is why I was asking if you have a semi - inside sort of room where he could stay -- a compromise for all of you.

One of my neighbors has a female Akita, but she is indoors most of the time. They leave their cellar door open and she is often down there. She has a bed and water bowl down there. She will come up and sit with them in the evenings when they are home from work, but she often heads down once they go to bed. Since the door is open she is free to go up and down.
    All he has is his dog house outside he dosen't usually sleep on any bedding inside I try to leave a blanket down for him sometimes he will use them but not often. And He never has a problem letting me know when wants out he is very persistent in that area. When he wants out he wants out and I better have that door open when he does. Yes he does come inside we have only had him 2yrs and the previous owner had a kennel and she kept them in a pole barn with their own runs going inside and outside. But he never did go inside unless it was rain real bad.