Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Emma and Annie have arrived!

I know all about FORL - Oscar has lost about 10 teeth to it. After he woke from surgery and was on painkillers I swear he slept for 24 hours straight!

I think you have enough in the fund to make a down payment, right? Hopefully the vet will give you time to raise some more funds!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Okay, we're home and the girls are settled! They got some pretty heavy duty pain meds, so like Catty1 said they are conked out! The vet was a darling and only charged me for six extractions total, even though between them I think they had 17 extractions! 0.0 They both lost three canines, Annie has a top one left and Emma has a bottom one. They also got microchipped, and Annie will be on some clavamox for the next two weeks. They're be re-checked in two weeks to make sure they're all healed up and hopefully by then I'll have a home with a soft bed lined up for them!

It came to $2,074.76 for both of them plus $15.55 for some nice soft food, so we're -979.16 at the moment. I put the balance on my credit card and I was a little vague with the hubby about how big the discrepancy was, LoL. I'll start a new thread now, then I'm going to fall asleep 'cause I've been up since 6am for their early-morning drop off! ^_^

WOW! That vet has been great to you!

Oh my gosh! Poor babies!!! Poor Cathy! This really has turned into a huge roller coaster of a day for you three, huh? Wow!

OK, I know with Gini's Artwork you'll be getting some more money for the girls, but I know it won't be even close to $1000. (I'll send you a text or PM) I have a few more pieces "for sale" in the thread and am considering emailing Mike - even though he made it clear once the kitties were sent to their new place, they ( the family) were officially done. I'll send him an email tomorrow once I've "slept on" what to say.

I'll be crossing my fingers and saying my prayers.

((((Cathy, Annie & Emma))))
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Kelly, maybe just tell him about the dental work - which no one could have foreseen cost-wise - and tell him about the fund-raising you are considering. Thank him for his generous donation before, and if he knows any friends of Gini's locally that might want to help the girls, to let them know.

That's just an idea - so you aren't asking directly.

Kelly - don't feel like you have to tell Mike about the dentals, I know I wouldn't want to!! FORLs hide themselves very VERY well, and without the x-rays that were done there was NO WAY anyone could have known what was going on!

Yes Catty1, I'm loving Dr. St. Germaine and the crew at Pinnacle. It was a Dr. Forgy who did the procedures yesterday, and I laughed when she called in the morning to thank me for dropping off a dozen donuts when I dropped off the kitties, as she had forgotten her breakfast! I've been searching for a new vet since my current one has started scheduling appointments too close together and doesn't give the detailed attention to me and the pets that he used to, and I'm going to switch my animals to Pinnacle too!

If you remember, Sam and I went through FORL recently. The vet even thought his was a tumor. Sam has had this before.

I hope the girls feel good soon.

I'm more than a month behind on rent, so I doubt I can give any now. It's a wait and see with me. Even a little will help, and I'll do my best.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

They're feeling fine today! They both seemed a little sore, so a dose of pain meds this morning put them in a cheerful mood, and they both ate a tremendous amount of food. Annie has clavamox tablets to take for the next week and she is NOT going to be easy to medicate. I gave her her first dose easily enough, but she saw the second one coming and objected HEARTILY. I think I'm going to dig up my trusty pill popper and bring it to work.

Luckily she is a forgiving soul, and thirty seconds after the pill she was purring in my lap again. Maybe she'll be easier to pill once her gums aren't so sore.

And I totally understand not being able to give right now. A couple of years ago we lost our health insurance, and the medication my hubby was taking that was WORKING to control his depression was $1300 a month. Those were fun times. (not) I stopped taking my meds so hubby could have his and we could still eat.

Oh gosh - re the meds - I thought some drug companies had a plan where they could provide meds to people who couldn't afford them. Maybe contact the company?

Glad Emma and Annie feel better. Yep - pill popper or Pill Pockets sound like the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Oh gosh - re the meds - I thought some drug companies had a plan where they could provide meds to people who couldn't afford them. Maybe contact the company?
    Yes, you are 100% correct. If paying for meds - ESPECIALLY meds for depression - is a problem, you must tell your doctor. They have samples, coupons and a drug rep from the company to ask for help. Many drug companies have programs that give free (or low-cost) Rx to people that cannot afford them. It was never any problem in temporary situations (for free samples from the doctor's office/drug rep) when we had enough on hand, but we could also get more if we called the drug rep. We gave samples to patients in every office I've worked in - and could give 1-2 mos. supplies when they had financial situations like this. Please don't ever go without your Rx...I mean this for everyone. Pls spread the word to anyone this can help. They also make a lot of generic versions that are much less expensive than the brand name.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

Oh! Cathy - about Mike. Yea, I'm a bit apprehensive because he made it very clear that once Annie and Emma were taken from Gini's, 100% of their care became the responsibility of their new owner. He also mentioned that no one knew their health condition, and this still applied to the "100% responsible thing". He said this MORE than once or twice, so it's obvious he meant it.

That said, an email won't hurt. It's not like I'm ever going to see him or the family ever again...
    I'll let you know if I get any response.

PS The CarePages total is already up to $365! Yay!!!!

Hee hee, Annie has discovered the cardboard scratcher! I was sitting with her in my lap today, and I put her paws onto the scratcher and made gentle scratching motions with them. She didn't seem interested, but a few minutes later she reached out from my lap and scratched it vigorously while her butt was still firmly planted in my lap! After that, I heard her come out and scratch on it a few more times.

Emma was purring and happy this evening too. I suspect the fact that she doesn't have to take any more meds helped with that! Her one remaining canine is on the bottom, and looks like an adorable snaggletooth! I love it!

Smart girl! I bet she is loving the attention - getting love AND scratching...heaven!

How are they doing tonight?

I went home early yesterday because hubby and I had tickets to see a play, but I did get a quick snuggle in. Annie is getting easier to pill, I don't even have to put her in my lap anymore. She looked so cozy cuddled up with Emma last night that I didn't want to disturb her, so I just opened her mouth and popped the pill in, and she swallowed it! I've never had such an easy time pilling a kitty, ever! <3

Today I'm writing up a little bio for them to go up on petfinder courtesy of the lady I adopted Katie from. I'll link it here once they're up!

OK, here's the profile I wrote up, what do you think?

Annie and Emma are a lovely, loving pair of orange tabby girls looking for a cozy bed to cuddle up in. Only about 25% of orange kitties are female, so two unusual orange ladies together should bring their new family lots of luck as well as love. They are sisters, born on March 26, 2002, and taken in by a wonderful lady in Los Angeles who loved them dearly until she passed away in November. Some friends of their owner got together to make sure Annie and Emma were taken care of. They are looking for a new family to love, hopefully before their twelfth birthday!

Annie is a social butterfly and a lover. When it's quiet, she comes looking for any warm lap she can find, and she will purr and purr and knead with her paws on her person or in the air. She also sometimes drools a bit when she's really relaxed (cute!!). Belly rubs are her next favorite thing to laps, and if she can't get into a lap she'll roll over and gaze invitingly at whoever is near to try and entice them into rubbing her belly. Plus, she has vivid, gorgeous nose freckles!

Emma also very loving, but she is shy and takes awhile to feel comfortable with new people and situations. She doesn't beg for affection the way Annie does, but if you rub her ears and talk to her quietly, she'll purr and close her eyes, and after awhile she'll even roll over for a belly rub!

Annie and Emma have lived with other cats before and would probably adjust well to a mellow feline companion. They had not met any dogs until they arrived in San Jose, and have been clear that they would prefer a home without dogs. They would probably be fine with respectful older children too. They have been indoor only kitties their entire lives and should stay indoors. Since they've been together for their entire lives and they're best friends as well as sisters, they would like to be adopted together.

They've been vaccinated, microchipped, and their teeth cleaned. They also both had bloodwork done, showing them both to be in excellent health! They are both overweight, and are starting to lose a bit of weight now that they're eating mostly wet food. These girls are mellow and very easygoing for things like nail clipping, brushing (Annie can't get enough of the slicker brush, I think she would happily be brushed from dawn until dusk), and checking their teeth. They use their litterbox faithfully, and Annie LOVES their cardboard scratcher.

Does your home have a warm lap and some nice sun puddles for these two lovely ladies to enjoy? Please email Cathy at [email protected] to arrange a meeting! (or leave a message at ***-***-****)