Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Emma and Annie have arrived!

Emma and Annie have arrived!

Today I got up before the sun and went to meet up with Kelly to retrieve Annie and Emma. Smart Emma had managed to open up the wire crate and get loose in the car, luckily she was easy to corral into her regular carrier!! 0.0 Annie went into her small carrier too, since my teeny car wouldn't accommodate the big crate, and off we went! Neither girl made a peep for the entire journey with me (though Emma drooled a bit at first), and I got them to the store faster than I would have believed possible.

They were pretty shut down with stress by the time we got there, so I got them into the condo with all of their things as quickly as I could, and then I bought a blanket to cover part of the condo to give them some privacy. They have a big bed and a blanket that smell like home, as well as their familiar litterbox and toys, so I spritzed a little feliway and left them to unwind.

These two were clearly dearly loved! The sheer number of toys that arrived with them is astonishing! They also have more treats, brushes, dishes, and goodies than you can shake a stick at! Despite clearly being terrified by the unexpected journey and being handled by a stranger, they were both very sweet and easy to handle. Even Emma only hissed at me once, then once I had her in my arms she quieted down and let me move her.

I AM a little concerned about their health. I think it is likely that once Gini got sick, monitoring the girls' food intake became too much to handle and they are both VERY portly. Nothing that can't be managed with time and careful feeding, but I DO want to run bloodwork on both of them to check for diabetes. (and just in general because it's a good idea!) We have an appointment on Monday the 13th, where we'll do exams and bloodwork. The low-cost vaccine clinic that stops by my work will do shots and microchips the evening prior to the appointment. I'm thinking that I'll get them carriers which open from the top....they are actually so portly that they can't be scruffed, so getting them out the small doors on their carriers was much more stressful on them (and me) than it needed to be.

And of course, I know everyone is wanting pics, not my ramblings, so here they are...

Emma actually seemed interested in the journey, peering out the front of the carrier.

Annie OTOH wanted nothing to do with the box or the car or the new people or the noises.

Emma snuggling into their bed. Here you can see the weight issue, both kitties are around the same size.

I have $475 for them right now. $375 from Gini's brother (Who said that I was being compensated for gas) and $100 from Lisa (Lisa...I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know who you are on here, please let me know!!) If anyone wants to send Annie and Emma a paypal donation my paypal address is [email protected]

I spent about $66 getting them here, so I'm going to keep $60 for gas, and the rest is ALL for the girls. Anything that is left once they are vetted is for their new owners. I promised that I'd be 100% clear where every penny went. They came with lots of canned food, but I did get them a bag of SUPER low calorie kibble (Natural Balance Fat Cats formula, actually) and a bag of litter, which came to $38.35, and I spent $12.99 on the blanket that I covered their condo with. Soooo we have $363.66. I'm not sure exactly how much exams and bloodwork will be, though in this area exams are generally $50. The low cost vaccine people are going to discount their normal (already low!) prices even more for me because they are AWESOME. I will keep this thread updated (I'll shoot for every day at least a short update) and as soon as I know more PT will know more.

HAPPYDANCEHAPPYDANCEHAPPYDANCE!!!!!!!!

Hello, dearest Emma and Annie!

I just know that Gini is overjoyed!

slick, snakemama, Noah's Mommy, you people just ROCK!!! And all who supported this....just WOW!

And yes, they are a bit, er, FLUFFY....

YAAAY!!!!!!!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Donation sent. Should cover all the vet bills, I hope.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Beautiful sweet girls. Ginger girls are unusual, as I'm sure most of you know. Can't wait until they calm down and settle in. I'd send some if I could.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I am........totally speechless at the generosity of the loving hearts on PT. Thank you Slick. Slick sent me $1000 CAD via paypal, which put $879 USD in A&E's account, so the girls have $1242.66 which ....I am tearing up and fumbling for words...Gini, Annie, and Emma are all lucky to have such loving friends.

I hope to have more relaxed pictures of both of the girls tomorrow evening after work!

Damn that CAD currency. Are you sure it wasn't more than that? I did pay $1000 CAD but that should have been around $940 USD not only $879?????
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Glad to see they arrived safely. I know that, since Gini's death, they were shut in half the space they were used to having, and spent much of their days alone, and didn't get a lot of playtime with humans, so it is not unexpected that they gained weight. But hopefully once everything settles down all can be managed safely!

I am glad it all took place with a minimum of hissing and no bloodshed, given everything they ave been through recently!

Blass you all, and glad their big journey is over and they are safe.
    I've Been Frosted

HOORAY!!! HALLELUJAH!!!!!

The cats and I are all doing the Happy Dance!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

The power of Pet Talk strikes again. I am so happy to see how people (some that have never even met each other) have pulled together to make it happen.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Great pics, Cathy!!! I'm so glad everything worked out so well for your trip home. They really are sweeties. I noticed that once Emma was in her crate - or on the back seat/window of my car she chilled out fast.

I'm sending Mike's other check -$235- to you tomorrow. So you can add that to their total. What LUCKY girls they are. So blessed and loved.

Slick, my friend, you are a most generous, kind and loving angel. Love you!!!

I was a little surprised at their 'dress size' as well...but like it's been said, was 100% impossible for our poor Gini to help. Especially as her brother Bill is allergic and not helping w them. Gladys was there for the house and to help w Gini. It couldn't be helped. And like Cathy says, hopefully being put on a good diet food will solve this problem.

Thank you all so much! Especially Cathy, Slick, Tonya (zippykat) and Staci (shaismom), etc, etc, etc! Having help and support w all this has been invaluable! There is no way we could have done this without you all. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Here they are before Emma's escape...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	968.7 KB 
ID:	57763
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	80 
Size:	862.0 KB 
ID:	57761   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	85 
Size:	882.7 KB 
ID:	57762  
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Sorry! My phone keeps flipping their photo!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

So glad to hear Emma and Annie are now safe and sound. Bless you for helping them out.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Damn that CAD currency. Are you sure it wasn't more than that? I did pay $1000 CAD but that should have been around $940 USD not only $879?????
    Paypal fees took a little snip. :/

Oh! Kelly reminded me via text message - I DID put latches on their condo to prevent Emma's clever paws from opening any doors. There are two doors, and each door got two locks!

Well done, everyone!

You likely know this, but don't feed them 'just' dry kibble - I did that for about 14 years as that was what the vet told me. I have since learned cats need soft / moist food as they don't usually drink much water. By nature, they get all the fluid they need from their 'prey,' so they aren't drinkers like dogs are. The lack of fluid helps to develop thryoid and kidney issues. I learned this the hard way, 4 of my cats have gone that route.

Ginger girls are rare and hence special!