Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Snow!!!!

Big story here is the COLD! We have about 7 inches of snow, it has stopped coming down. Temp is 7, wind chill is minus 11!! Frostbite in 5 minutes for exposed skin. So all skin must be covered as we clear snow. Cold continues through Saturday and then Sunday? Going to hit 45!!!

I had to fill my bird feeders 3 times daily for the past few days. This morning, the birds aren't even trying to use it, they are remaining down on the ground -- the feeders are swinging so plenty of seed is dropping. Still, the little chickadees, juncos and sparrows take a roll now and then in a big wind gust. I'll be sure to keep the seed available out there for them. Chickadees will each more than 4 times their body weight in 24 hours in this cold. Also have one cardinal pair out there.

The dogs peered out the door, I had to push them out. They took no more than 4 steps, peed, turned and RAN back in. Now they are all asleep. Gonna be that sort of day. Making a beef stew. And, just for you Karen: I am making my first beef stew of 2014!!!!

We were told we would get 6 to 10" of snow and it looks like we got the lesser amount. It's still a lot of snow to me. I don't mind the cold of winter but I don't like snow and ice, since I have very weak legs, those things scare me.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Okay, the cats and I are on the next plane out!

Hope they don't mind dogs, I'll have 3 of them! LOL
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

They'll work it out.. they say!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Just had to say, for those who do not know me that well - big storms make me positively giddy!
    Here in Trenton we have about 8" of the white stuff with the temperature at a balmy 17 degrees and the wind chill making it feel like 2 degrees below zero. Karen, I love storms too. My favorite thing to do during a storm is to get under my headphones and write a letter to a friend. I'm a big winter lover and can't wait to get outside for a bit. The weather reports are saying another storm is brewing for Monday after temps in the 40's on Sunday.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I took a little video of the wild bird ballet at the seed plate, but it isn't really good enough to share, sadly! I dare not get to close, so it is on the other side of the vertical blinds ... Maybe will get some photos later or tomorrow! It is hard to tell how much we got, as there was so much wind there was a lot of drifting for most of yesterday!
    I've Been Frosted

Just saw the forecast for the weekend here in Michigan - snow - lots of snow. 6 - 12 inches from Saturday night to Sunday night. Then the frigid temps come back.

The wild birds dance
    An ever-changing ballet outside my door
    Wheeling and twirling down
    Silhouette against the snow as they approach
    and never ceasing, rotating in and out,
    Silently urgently hoping in and back
    The paper plate of birdseed I set out
    Their focus, their turning point
    Juncos, sparrows, cardinals and
    Even the titmouse who prefers to stay up in tree branches
    Makes a fleeting, whirling presence
    Like a cameo ballet appearance
    Before it flees to the relative shelter
    Of the hedges on the wall above.
    I've Been Frosted

We have about 6" or so of snow, lots of ice, and the temp was a lovely -25C (-13F) with a windchill of -35C (-31F).

More snow tomorrow and Sunday. Temps dropping into the single digits F on Sunday, below zero on Monday and single digits again Tuesday. Then later in the week into the 20s with more snow in the preliminary forecast.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Blog Entries
    It didn't feel to bad at -5 the other day but today the wind was gusting at 25 mph & it made for a sour cold day outside. The snow was blowing & drifting it looks like there are snow waves out in the fields. Maybe I'll put on my snowshoes & go out & catch a snow drift or two.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

You know it was cold last night (actually got down to -4 here) when 23F almost feels warm!
    I've Been Frosted

4" overnight - another 6-8 expected before it ends tonight. The deep freeze arrives tomorrow.

Minnesota Governor announced on Friday that all schools in the state would be closed on Monday due to the temps. I'm thinking schools in our area will be closed Monday due to snow, and Tuesday (maybe Wednesday) due to sub-zero temps.

Friday it was really cold when I was digging out. The wind was the worst!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Cindy and I are warm and toasty here in CA! Lol but I do LOOOOOVE the snow and cold weather!! Anyone who wants to trade just let me know!