For those of you not on FB, I just wanted to let you all know that I sent Nutmeg to the RB last week. She was in kidney failure, and we had an ultrasound done because although she was losing weight and her lab work was off the charts, she was quite bright and happy. Turns out her kidney was blocked, and so she underwent emergency surgery to have a stint placed in her ureter. The vet called during her surgery and tragically he was unable to place the stint. The only option at that point was to remove her kidney, but her remaining kidney was not functioning at a capacity where she could continue a good quality of life. So, rather than waking her from a pretty massive surgery, we let her go peacefully in her sleep. She was put under when she was feeling relatively good (considering what was going on), purring, asking for pets, and generally being a love bug. Before she went in for her procedure, I promised her that I wouldn't let her suffer, and if it didn't work out, I'd let her go and see her again. I kept my promise, even though it was completely heartbreaking. It's been a bittersweet holiday. Tilly is grieving the loss of her in the house, as are Richard and I. I miss her terribly. She was a very special girl.