Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am Graduating in May...:)

I am Graduating in May...:)

It's only with an Associates Degree in Science, but I passed my LAST Math Class of Undergrad (aside from Stats), and just need 2 more classes to finish my Associates. It took me 3 years, but I know a lot of people that took that long to get their Associates for awhile I was upset that it would take me that long but the end is finally near! I don't know if anyone remembers the issues math has plagued me with over the years, but they're finally over. I'm still going to have to take Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and other difficult classes but I did well in Chemistry in high school. I've never had difficulty in any class more than math. I got a B- last semester, and C this semester. My GPA is a 3.35. I will be taking Vertebrate Zoology (which should be a little better than Invertebrate Zoology was) and Oceanography next semester.

I have been applying to other schools left and right over the past semester and I wound up getting an $11,000 Scholarship to one in Upstate NY that has a great program in my field and is very small. It's pretty far up into the Adirondacks. I haven't been up there since I was a young kid but I remember loving the wilderness. I don't know exactly where I am going yet though, or how I am actually affording college since I refuse to be stuck with Private Loans. I am going to look into getting more scholarships. My job is currently seasonal, and I make much less than I used to so it's hard to save a decent amount. The reason I keep the job is because of the relation to my field and because I love it, but it is hard on the wallet. I'll have to figure something out. Currently, that's my biggest concern. My parents help when they can but it's expensive...so we shall see. Just thought I'd share because I am extremely happy to be done with not only math but with CC! I never thought I'd be smart enough to be a Science Major but when you actually try it's amazing what you can do. I have no only succeeded but I excelled (well in Bio/Physical Sciences/Zoology) None of my smarter siblings went for any of the sciences but my parents are proud that the average one did

Super awesome, Alyssa. I'm proud of you! Best of luck on deciding where to go from here.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

I am so happy for you, and glad we could help you, if only by posting encouragement that you could do it - and you did! Woo hop! As you only have two classes next semester, is there any extra class you could take that would apply to the next whatever place you go? Where's the college in the Adirondacks - we know folks in update NY ...
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you guys!

Karen, I looked into taking either Genetics or Chemistry. My CC doesn't offer Genetics and Chemistry is hard to take at a different school. I would need to take Chem I and Chem II and taking Chem I here would make Chem II super difficult there. I heard this from my CC advisor and he is always completely honest with me. I still have to see what credits they'll take before anything is set in stone. I don't want to spend 4 more years on a Bachelors.

Karen, I'll PM you the name of the school. I'd prefer not to post it on the internet at random.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Thank you guys!

Karen, I looked into taking either Genetics or Chemistry. My CC doesn't offer Genetics and Chemistry is hard to take at a different school. I would need to take Chem I and Chem II and taking Chem I here would make Chem II super difficult there. I heard this from my CC advisor and he is always completely honest with me. I still have to see what credits they'll take before anything is set in stone. I don't want to spend 4 more years on a Bachelors.

Karen, I'll PM you the name of the school. I'd prefer not to post it on the internet at random.
    Okay, cool - I was just thinking of some elective or some required English class or something!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Okay, cool - I was just thinking of some elective or some required English class or something!
    Your PM box is full I believe And I've taken a lot of extra course that I didn't really have to LOL so maybe that'll make up for something. I even took Speech which was against my will literally. I'll have over 65 credits when I graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Your PM box is full I believe And I've taken a lot of extra course that I didn't really have to LOL so maybe that'll make up for something. I even took Speech which was against my will literally. I'll have over 65 credits when I graduate.
    I just cleaned it out! That's good!
    I've Been Frosted

Congratulations, Alyssa! You are doing just so great!

Best wishes with your future decisions and plans.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Good job Alyssa! You should be very proud of yourself!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Alyssa, that is wonderful!
    I know how hard you have worked for this and am thrilled for you. When I started taking courses, I told my manager, "It is only an associates" and she told me, "never say ONLY". So I am going to offer you the same advice. I didn't finish mine because of my health issues. You are! She said that when an employer (or anyone really) looks at your accomplishments and sees that you started and COMPLETED a degree - ANY DEGREE - it means that you are able to all the way with something.

Be proud!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Congratulations, Alysser! The school in the Adirondacks sounds like it would be a really lovely setting to continue your studies, too!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh well done!
    Seeking out new treats and going where no ratty has gone before,

Ratterprise Command.
    Dumbledore ~ Senior Recycling Technician, Nellie ~ Extreme Exploration Expert, Dax ~ Nutritional Supplement Inspector, Kira ~ Small Excavations Supervisor, T'Pol ~ Caution Advisor , Guinan ~ Junior Uniform Inspector, Icheb ~ Security Officer, Janeway ~ Away Team Supervisor, Tiberius ~ Heat Therapist

Congratulations!!

Seriously, you rock. I am SO proud of you. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare. In many things in life- that steady progression wins out over the meteoric rise to the stars. Stay strong, stay moving forward.

Fantastic! Proud of you!

just so you know, studying math under a math professor is much harder than using math in one of the sciences. One is academic, the other is applications. I know an ophthalmic neurosurgeon (my eye doctor for a while), that became just that, because in his freshman year of college, he realized that Calculus is the easy course. (He was a math major.) I. too have a hard time considering Math harder than the neuroscience of the eye, but to each his own.

Don't put yourself down. Not everyone is a math geek.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)