Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I make my cat eat her pill?

How do I make my cat eat her pill?

It's me again ~ I finally took Toto to the vet and it turns out she has a eye virus. She's on eye drops and L-Lysine. The problem is ...how do I her take these pills? I tried the food trick. It didn't work. I tried making her swallow it but nothing. Please help!

I want to thank everyone who gave me advice and wished Toto well.

I spend the money and get the shot, but it is expensive. You can crush the pill and put it in tuna juice or other meat juice. Make sure gravy has no spices. Broth is better. Some cats have problems with spices. Or get a syringe and be prepared for a battle. Make sure she'll drink the broth first before lacing with meds.

If she's your only cat, you can also crush and sprinkle on food.

These are tactics that I have tried. Mixing with gravy broth works for me.

Good luck
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    I spend the money and get the shot, but it is expensive. You can crush the pill and put it in tuna juice or other meat juice. Make sure gravy has no spices. Broth is better. Some cats have problems with spices. Or get a syringe and be prepared for a battle. Make sure she'll drink the broth first before lacing with meds.

If she's your only cat, you can also crush and sprinkle on food.

These are tactics that I have tried. Mixing with gravy broth works for me.

Good luck
    Thanks so much! I have one more cat, Cookie. But ill try with your advice. Thanks!

I just went through this with my one cat Oscar. First I put a little bit of hot water into the food bowl and drop the pill into it. Then I open a can of salmon and drain the juice out of it into the bowl. I crush up the pill with a spoon, making sure none stays stuck on the bottom of the spoon.

Oscar laps it up and all is well.

Good luck!

Edited to add - I'll be having a lot of salmon salad for a few days!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I've found with most of my cats I can pill them manually..MOST. One of my late cats almost took off my finger.

The others were easy as long as you were quick..I've opened their mouth, tilted their heads back and dropped the pill in, making sure it gets deep enough they cant wiggle it out again, then gently hold their mouths closed and stroke their throats, works for me 99% of the time. If you've ever seen how the vets examine their mouths and teeth, they kind of fold their lips around some teeth that way they tend not to bite as they will be biting themselves..it takes technique and practice and I've had both through the years..also startling them just a little after the pill by blowing on their face helps make them swallow.

Having said that I agree the shots are ideal..a two week shot and get it and forget it..

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady View Post
    I've found with most of my cats I can pill them manually..MOST. One of my late cats almost took off my finger.

The others were easy as long as you were quick..I've opened their mouth, tilted their heads back and dropped the pill in, making sure it gets deep enough they cant wiggle it out again, then gently hold their mouths closed and stroke their throats, works for me 99% of the time. If you've ever seen how the vets examine their mouths and teeth, they kind of fold their lips around some teeth that way they tend not to bite as they will be biting themselves..it takes technique and practice and I've had both through the years..also startling them just a little after the pill by blowing on their face helps make them swallow.

Having said that I agree the shots are ideal..a two week shot and get it and forget it..

Good luck.
    I just tried doing it and it didn't work. I think I'm going to need 10 band-aids because she scratched me while trying to get away e.e Thanks anyways (:. I'm going to try to crush it and give it to her with a bit of food

I have a kitty that has to be pilled every day and will be for the rest of his life. I got a "pill popper" from my vet and pilling him is a piece of cake! I've been using this for well over a year and it makes giving Mac his pill a piece of cake. Ask your vet for one and good luck!.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Quote Originally Posted by Catsfolifecx View Post
    I just tried doing it and it didn't work. I think I'm going to need 10 band-aids because she scratched me while trying to get away e.e Thanks anyways (:. I'm going to try to crush it and give it to her with a bit of food
    Ahh..that can happen, depends on the temperament of the kitty. Plus, doing it just right takes practice, if she wont eat the food, try some salmon oil, as mentioned, another thing I have done (just to get an elderly cat to eat) was to boil some chicken, so make chicken broth, and put it in that, you can also mash up or process the meat and add as well.

If you have someone with you, you can also wrap the kitty in a towel so that they cant use their claws but watch out for the teeth.

I have had to give my cat pills years ago and to begin with it was such a struggle. What worked in the end was to lean over him one hand around his neck and sit like that, stroking him for a while until he was relaxed, the do what Shady did.

My cat loved shrimps, so I also tried to crush the medicine and put inside one of the shrimps. That worked the first day, but once he got suspicious, he wouldn't touch it. I suppose patience is key word here. Good luck!

Btw, there are earlier threads about "How to pill a cat." Search for them!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Blog Entries

Good luck

This will not help at all. Can't not share it though cuz it's so freakin' funny. My cat Shadowman would not swallow his pills. He really needed those pills. spent 3 hrs. trying to make him take one. Kept spitting them out and he ripped me to shreds as well. I finally got so fed up I threw it against the wall, was gonna cry, he ran across the room when it bounced off the wall and ate it. I still can't believe it and I was there.

Blog Entries
    p.s. good luck

Pill pockets

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Cat pill

It very difficult to give a cat a pill. I would like to suggest you that first crust the pill into fine power and mix into his favorite food like cream cheese or canned food. If food is a fish flavor I think it is best for him. Good luck.

This used to work for Freckles:
    Put Toto on the floor with your head and Toto's head facing the same direction. Straddle her with a knee on both sides of her body. Cross your feet so she can't back out. Then use Shady's method.

I would fill a dropper with alittle bit of water.
    i would kneel on the floor pull the cat back in between my legs.
    the back of his head close to my stomach

tilt his head back open his jaw from his top teeth
    drop the pill all the way at the back of his throat.
    DO NOT LET HIM MOVE HIS HEAD TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT!
    then squirt the water from the dropper in his mouth which will force him to swallow.
    keep his head back of a minute scratching his neck to make sure the pill went down.

(MY BOY WOULD GIVE A QUICK SHAKE of HIS HEAD AND THE PILL WOULD GO TO THE SIDE THEN HE WOULD SPIT IT OUT)

It takes a little practice