Thread: How do I make my cat eat her pill?

Hybrid View

How do I make my cat eat her pill?

It's me again ~ I finally took Toto to the vet and it turns out she has a eye virus. She's on eye drops and L-Lysine. The problem is ...how do I her take these pills? I tried the food trick. It didn't work. I tried making her swallow it but nothing. Please help!

I want to thank everyone who gave me advice and wished Toto well.

I spend the money and get the shot, but it is expensive. You can crush the pill and put it in tuna juice or other meat juice. Make sure gravy has no spices. Broth is better. Some cats have problems with spices. Or get a syringe and be prepared for a battle. Make sure she'll drink the broth first before lacing with meds.

If she's your only cat, you can also crush and sprinkle on food.

These are tactics that I have tried. Mixing with gravy broth works for me.

Good luck
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    I spend the money and get the shot, but it is expensive. You can crush the pill and put it in tuna juice or other meat juice. Make sure gravy has no spices. Broth is better. Some cats have problems with spices. Or get a syringe and be prepared for a battle. Make sure she'll drink the broth first before lacing with meds.

If she's your only cat, you can also crush and sprinkle on food.

These are tactics that I have tried. Mixing with gravy broth works for me.

Good luck
    Thanks so much! I have one more cat, Cookie. But ill try with your advice. Thanks!

I just went through this with my one cat Oscar. First I put a little bit of hot water into the food bowl and drop the pill into it. Then I open a can of salmon and drain the juice out of it into the bowl. I crush up the pill with a spoon, making sure none stays stuck on the bottom of the spoon.

Oscar laps it up and all is well.

Good luck!

Edited to add - I'll be having a lot of salmon salad for a few days!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I've found with most of my cats I can pill them manually..MOST. One of my late cats almost took off my finger.

The others were easy as long as you were quick..I've opened their mouth, tilted their heads back and dropped the pill in, making sure it gets deep enough they cant wiggle it out again, then gently hold their mouths closed and stroke their throats, works for me 99% of the time. If you've ever seen how the vets examine their mouths and teeth, they kind of fold their lips around some teeth that way they tend not to bite as they will be biting themselves..it takes technique and practice and I've had both through the years..also startling them just a little after the pill by blowing on their face helps make them swallow.

Having said that I agree the shots are ideal..a two week shot and get it and forget it..

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady View Post
    I've found with most of my cats I can pill them manually..MOST. One of my late cats almost took off my finger.

The others were easy as long as you were quick..I've opened their mouth, tilted their heads back and dropped the pill in, making sure it gets deep enough they cant wiggle it out again, then gently hold their mouths closed and stroke their throats, works for me 99% of the time. If you've ever seen how the vets examine their mouths and teeth, they kind of fold their lips around some teeth that way they tend not to bite as they will be biting themselves..it takes technique and practice and I've had both through the years..also startling them just a little after the pill by blowing on their face helps make them swallow.

Having said that I agree the shots are ideal..a two week shot and get it and forget it..

Good luck.
    I just tried doing it and it didn't work. I think I'm going to need 10 band-aids because she scratched me while trying to get away e.e Thanks anyways (:. I'm going to try to crush it and give it to her with a bit of food