Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UPpyDate on the update: Sam and his teeth

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled View Post
    For Oliver's surgery they had to remove the right upper molar section of his jaw. They did rebuild his face so once his fur grows back you won't be able to see it. They had originally put in a feeding tube but it turns out that we never needed it. The first few days I watered down his wet food but he ate just fine. Now he eats almost exclusively wet food with a little bit of Blue dry food. The Blue brand kibble is so small that he doesn't actually need to chew it to swallow it.

So don't worry about the feeding tube (if it comes to that). You have a long way to go before having to deal with that and hopefully you won't have to.
    I hope not either. A special needs kitty is not the issue. Quality of life is. Even if a tumor ,I don't think it is that bad yet. A lot of the swelling has gone done.

I got another donation today. From a fellow gamer.

The Internet can be a wonderful thing.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Sam's x-ray and procedure is tomorrow early, so time to prepare for the overnight rest and rejuvenation period known as sleep. No food for him tonight. It didn't concern him until I put the food away. LOL

I ahve also been posting updates at the funding site.
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

The GoFundMe site for Sam is here: http://www.gofundme.com/5w7wek
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

How did the x-ray go this morning?

How did the x-ray go this morning?

Good!

Yeah, Sam is out of anesthesia. I get to pick him up in 2 hours.

He has resorptive or reabsorptive (?) lesions. The vet explained it nicely, and I think one of the Pet Talkers here had some recent experience with it. So she removed the tooth that was an issue. The bill came in much cheaper at 154.00 but the first visit was 96.75, so I'm trying to help out Community Pet Project some since they offer their services to help out those that can't pay for extraordinary vet care. Or I can return it. I'd rather pass it on to a non-profit.

Spunky, Jane, and Bob need their Rabies shots, but most vets offer a clinic day for those purposes.

I'm just so tickled pink. Giddy almost.

Now to post at GoFundMe
    Anne

Congratulations! I have had a couple of guys with that problem, Conner (RIP June 2013) and Ozzy (RIP 2009) had problems with teeth being re-absorbed. But once the tooth was pulled things were fine for them. It just meant they had to eat more wet food, but neither of them complained about that

Congratulations! I have had a couple of guys with that problem, Conner (RIP June 2013) and Ozzy (RIP 2009) had problems with teeth being re-absorbed. But once the tooth was pulled things were fine for them. It just meant they had to eat more wet food, but neither of them complained about that
    Sams prefers dry food, but I've noticed the last few years he is preferring the wet food and real meat treats over the dry. Teh vet was surprised that it was the resorption over cancer.

I'm trying to reduce the amount of wet food to cut costs, but it won't work if some of the critters get sick.

Thanks
    Anne

Oscar had that - FORL - Feline Ododontal Resorption Lesion. Cats are good at hiding pain, and Oscar was no exception. Just over a year ago he went in for his checkup and yow! He had already lost 4 teeth to FORL and about another 7 were pulled. During surgery to remove some skin growths about a month ago, one tooth was also destroyed by FORL - the roots were pretty much gone. Both times he was on Metacam for a few days and eating wet food only. The lesion eats through the enamel, then the dentyne, the roots dissolve - poor Oscar was in so much pain and I had no idea! They removed teeth where the roots were starting to dissolve as well. Whew!

Cole's checkup was next and he lost about 4 teeth to FORL.

Zoe - ok so far.

My vet assured me it was nothing I did - researchers still don't really know what causes this. I may or may not have something to do with Vitamin D.

Glad Sam is home and I hope he feels much better soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    Sams prefers dry food, but I've noticed the last few years he is preferring the wet food and real meat treats over the dry. Teh vet was surprised that it was the resorption over cancer.

I'm trying to reduce the amount of wet food to cut costs, but it won't work if some of the critters get sick.

Thanks
    Dry food + broth & time = wet-enough food ... So glad it was this and not cancer!
    I've Been Frosted

I make my own wet food for the gang (cheaper than buying wet canned food in bulk). So if you are interested in the recipe drop me a line.

I make my own wet food for the gang (cheaper than buying wet canned food in bulk). So if you are interested in the recipe drop me a line.
    I am most interested. They are so finicky and would love anything that saves me money. I can't buy in bulk since I have no credit cards. Some of these sites won't accept gr cards or pay pal
    Anne