Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPpyDate on the update: Sam and his teeth

UPpyDate on the update: Sam and his teeth

Poor Sam is having teeth issues again. His whole lower jaw is swollen. I've suspected as much for days, but he is difficult to examine. I had to lay on him to squirt some ClindaCure on his gums. He is still eating, mainly fish broth, but that is a good sign. He's in pain, ut the infection must not be too bad. He usually has a bad reaction to infections.

I'm trying to work with a local group to get some funds and reduced prices on fixing his teeth.

Prayers needed.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 01-02-2014 at 12:23 PM. Reason: update
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Yikes, would warm compresses help him? Poor kitty!
    I've Been Frosted

Hadn't thought of that. It's worth a try
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I really hope the local groups can help you.

There's something called "crowdfunding" - I don't know much about it, but here's the website: http://www.gofundme.com/

Best of luck! I hope Sam feels better!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

http://www.gofundme.com/5w7wek

I don't know if it has been approved yet.

Thanks Candace.
    Anne

I have been through that quite a bit, especially with Juke Joint Joseph who had bad teeth all his life.
    We are praying for your Sam, that he will be all right.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

There is also something called Care Credit (http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/) that many vets will take and it allows you to pay off the balance over time.

If I recall correctly Anne doesn't even qualify for Care Credit. However, the gofundme is up and running and I just chipped in a bit.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    It might not hurt to start an application with IMOM. They require you apply for credit care. If you're turned down, part of the application would be the letter denying you. IMOM will help raise funds before treatment begins -- not for existing vet bills. So, if it turns out that Sam needs more treatment, the gofundme $$ could pay for the diagnostics and IMOM might be able to help with any additional treatments.

Also, IMOM has been in business over 15 years. They may have a vet close to you who will give you a discount. It's always tricky -- when you like your vet -- but another vet might have a different take on things.

Good luck Sam!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

The other place you might want to apply to is Red Rover (http://www.redrover.org/)

They also provide grants to pet owners in need

Hey girl - you already have $115 on gofundme!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Hey girl - you already have $115 on gofundme!
    Yeah I see.

Update:

Bless you. He may get that x-ray after all. The doc that saw him today said it's a tumor and probably bone cancer because the swelling was so firm.

Depressing. The last time I heard this it turned out to be a broken tooth lodged in the jaw. Easy fix, but a little expensive. Teeth and gum issues are the only health issues Sam has.

When the vet was describing the probably results of surgery, I was thinking it would be kinder to put him to sleep. Hope prevailed, and I brought him home.

Community Pet Project paid today's visit. He got a rabies shot (required), a Convenia shot for infection, and a steroid shot for swelling. With some warm compresses, hopefully he will feel better. Perhaps the swelling will resolve to the point that the cause is obvious.
    Anne

I am going through something similar with my guy Oliver (he has cancer in his mouth). So all I can say is please do not give up hope...

I know that when I read about the treatment options of Oliver's type and location of cancer, the outcomes were pretty grim. But I went forward with the recommended surgery, not holding out much hope. The margins of the tissue and the lymph nodes came back clear of cancer. So I decided to go forward with additional treatment. If they had not come back clean I think I would have considered putting him to sleep.

Right now please just take care of yourself and him. Enjoy your Christmas together and leave the rest up prayer

Thanks Emily-the-spoiled

Sam is eating some now. Not eating was my fear. He is feeling a little better. I've already been through Spunky's cancer but his was on the torso, and it's removal didn't affect his life.

This doc was scaring me with her talk of removing bone and using a feeding tube. Yikes.

Keeping the faith. I wish I could find a part-time job to earn extra funds.
    Anne

For Oliver's surgery they had to remove the right upper molar section of his jaw. They did rebuild his face so once his fur grows back you won't be able to see it. They had originally put in a feeding tube but it turns out that we never needed it. The first few days I watered down his wet food but he ate just fine. Now he eats almost exclusively wet food with a little bit of Blue dry food. The Blue brand kibble is so small that he doesn't actually need to chew it to swallow it.

So don't worry about the feeding tube (if it comes to that). You have a long way to go before having to deal with that and hopefully you won't have to.