Thread: Oscar not really eating

Oscar not really eating

Hi all.

I'll ask my vet about this too, but wanted feedback.

After a vet recheck on Friday I started using the pain meds again. I finally found a way to get the AB and meds into Oscar. I got some canned salmon, drained it into 3 small dishes (the other cats were going nuts at the smell) and added the Metacam. I had already dissolved the AB in a small amount of hot water in the bowl and crushed it up. Worked like a charm.

I can't do this every morning. If I mash up wet food with very warm water Oscar will lap up all he can but won't eat the more solid stuff. He will eat treats like crazy.

Am I going to have to keep him on a liquid diet forever? What will I feed him? Yes, one tooth was extracted, but when he had the massive extractions done over a year ago he was back to crunchies in a few days.

I'm just lost here!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Awww, maybe transition into a et food gradually with some of that liquid he obviously likes poured on it, like soup? And then more and more solid over time?
    I've Been Frosted

That's a good idea. I had a message from my vet (great having her as a FB friend!) and she said the FORL (tooth disease) can take two weeks to heal.

Oscar was a tad overweight, but this is not the diet I had in mind!

I'll keep trying and so will he.

Since he is eating treats, have you tried Pill Pockets?

Now that the vet said to give him 2 weeks, I guess stick with soft foods for that time.

I did try the Pill Pockets. They worked ONCE. lol

As if to prove me wrong, Oscar did start chomping at food a lot more after I posted this message AND messaged my vet. It figures, right?

I also have changed my attitude a bit. "If you're hungry, you'll eat it." It's still mostly wet food, with a bit of dry sprinkled on top. He did eat a good amount of it.

Is it possible Oscar might be playing the sympathy card to get the yummy junk salmon cat food?

Oh yeah, they are VERY good at working us, for sympathy! LOL

As long as he IS eating, I wouldn't worry too much. If he stops completely that is a big deal, especially with the overweight cats.

Good job Oscar, make da HuMom sweat, ha haa.

HugZ for you and Oscar. He'll be right as rain soon enough.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Thanks, everyone. He has eaten some crunchies, and is eating enough to keep himself satisfied.

And he is using the litter box with some regularity, so that says enough!

Blog Entries
    Loss of appetite is one of the key indicators that something is wrong. So be sure to pay attention if your cat suddenly stops eating.

Leonilcraig - this was back in December of 2013. Oscar got back to eating long before now.